Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,700,067 times

Advertisements

Lets look at it from another angle, just for fun, think of California has having a 15% over all tax burden and the lowest state, having a 5% overall tax burden, giving a 10% difference. We all know it is less than that.

Now, your local big box store advertises a 10% off sale,, would that excite you? Would you even bother to get out of bed for a 10% sale?

Now, your tax difference will be even less than that, not even worth getting out of bed for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Nope! Not when they jacked-up the price 15% before putting it on sale at 10% off. Ain't realism for the unprotected/under-privileged hell?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,481,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Lets look at it from another angle, just for fun, think of California has having a 15% over all tax burden and the lowest state, having a 5% overall tax burden, giving a 10% difference. We all know it is less than that.

Now, your local big box store advertises a 10% off sale,, would that excite you? Would you even bother to get out of bed for a 10% sale?

Now, your tax difference will be even less than that, not even worth getting out of bed for.
10% of a $40 DVD player isn't the same as 10% of one's entire income.

And in your example, its a 10 percentage point difference but there's far more than 10% difference between 5% tax and 15% tax. I guess they don't teach percentages on the ranch.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,037,771 times
Ten percent, 20 percent, who cares the percent? If the percent doesn't work for you, there are other places to live. What is the sense in discussing it yet again? It's not going to change the percentage or whether or not a person is okay with it.

And no, it doesn't need to be explained in crayons. We understand the situation completely. We accept it for what it is, and go on with our day.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Ten percent, 20 percent, who cares the percent? If the percent doesn't work for you, there are other places to live. What is the sense in discussing it yet again? It's not going to change the percentage or whether or not a person is okay with it.

And no, it doesn't need to be explained in crayons. We understand the situation completely. We accept it for what it is, and go on with our day.
Ah. Your leader has spoken! Beyond that...

Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM

15 posts, read 20,672 times
I live in Virginia and plan on moving to California soon (but not for tax reasons obviously).

Anyhow, what I've learned is that states get their money at the end of the day, one way or another.

For example, Virginia has an income tax rate of 5.75% and a sales tax rate of 5%. Much lower than CA right?

Well while Virginia might be lower in these numbers, they get their money through other means.

For example, not only does Virginia charge property taxes on houses/land, they also charge property taxes annually on cars which California does not. Yes cars, a depreciating asset.

In the locality I live in, it's 5%. So every year I pay 5% of my cars value in taxes. It's like I'm re-buying my car every year. The nicer the car, the more $$$ you pay.

So if you buy a 30k car brand new, own it for 5 years, and it decpreiates at 5k a year, it breaks down like this:

1st Year: $3,000 ($1,500 sales tax +$1,500 property tax)
2nd Year: $1,250
3rd Year: $1,000
4th Year: $750
5th Year: $500

You just paid $6,500 in taxes on a 30k car over 5 years. Take out 1k for any loop holes/deductions within that time and you still pay $5,500, nearly 20% of the cars original value in taxes.

So at the end of the day, these states find ways to get their money.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,459,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post

Ah Sunny but that is the problem. As you have just been shown many really don't fully understand the problems in CA.

CA was already taking in more than enough in revenue before Prop 30. If people truly understood this they would not have voted for it. Well at least 44.88% of the people who voted no understood it. CA has a money management issue...for some reason the voters fail to understand this.

So it is important to help people understand what the real issues are so that they don't run to the polls and blindly vote on things that are going to further hurt this state.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRAM View Post
I live in Virginia and plan on moving to California soon (but not for tax reasons obviously).

Anyhow, what I've learned is that states get their money at the end of the day, one way or another.

For example, Virginia has an income tax rate of 5.75% and a sales tax rate of 5%. Much lower than CA right?

Well while Virginia might be lower in these numbers, they get their money through other means.

For example, not only does Virginia charge property taxes on houses/land, they also charge property taxes annually on cars which California does not. Yes cars, a depreciating asset.

In the locality I live in, it's 5%. So every year I pay 5% of my cars value in taxes. It's like I'm re-buying my car every year. The nicer the car, the more $$$ you pay.

So if you buy a 30k car brand new, own it for 5 years, and it decpreiates at 5k a year, it breaks down like this:

1st Year: $3,000 ($1,500 sales tax +$1,500 property tax)
2nd Year: $1,250
3rd Year: $1,000
4th Year: $750
5th Year: $500

You just paid $6,500 in taxes on a 30k car over 5 years. Take out 1k for any loop holes/deductions within that time and you still pay $5,500, nearly 20% of the cars original value in taxes.

So at the end of the day, these states find ways to get their money.
Our state also charges a personal property tax on cars although at a significantly lower rate. What we pay each year is considerably lower than annual car registration in CA which would be over double even if we included our state's minimal registration fee. Meanwhile we pay 17.3 cents tax per gallon for normal gas while Californians pay 48.6 cents for designer gas. So at the end of the day, CA is decidedly more expensive.

PS. For the past several years, houses have been a depreciating asset as well.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 12-11-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,430,663 times
Sure when you lump in all the non tax payers / recipients of allowances, CA taxes may not look quite so bad on a per capita basis.

But using real metrics measuring the tax burden on the productive parts of the economy ... WE STINK!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:13 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,700,067 times
Sunny, Curmie feels very defensive about moving to a flat state, he becomes incredibly defensive about it. He is the guy, that some time ago I had posted a link to a horse trip my wife and I took in France, the travel broker used many of the photos I shot (one every 6 minutes while riding, it turned out) so some incredibly "bright" poster found that site and accused me of using the photos from that site to lie about my having taken that trip.

Curmie jumped all over that, accusing me of being a lying cheating unethical etc etc.

He was wrong then, he has a history of being wrong, I don't pay much attention to anything he posts, I just imagine a Barcalounger, a double wide trailer in Missouri, and a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California