Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Maybe the time to have those skills is before entering college. What do you think?

The story talks about the large numbers of students that don't complete a degree within 6 years of starting school. Many of those that start have less than 30 units completed after the 6 year period. If you ask me those are people that have never placed education as a priority. If you are attending school part time then you should be taking at least one class right? Most classes are at least 3 units. At the end of 6 years you would have completed 36 units if you had only took one class a semester and didn't take classes in the summer.

The story promotes the idea that the incoming students need to take basic math and English classes. What happened to taking those in High School? My son just graduated this year and he had Algebra in the 8th and 9th grade level. Shouldn't that be a requirement to get in? We shouldn't be teaching these classes at the college level for those that we are planning on calling college students. I get that we pass people out of high school and allow them to graduate because they have the units needed to graduate. Why is it that we do that? Why not prepare them for college in advance. Let's set the standard higher than it is.

I get that people need to take classes to catch up with those that have passed basic math and English. Lets not call them college students though untill they are taking college level classes. As the study shows the majority of them never finish, over a 6 year period are never enrolled on a part time basis, and are not motivated to complete a degree.

Community colleges not preparing California's future workforce, study says - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Junior Colleges do not require a high school diploma if you are over 18 years of age.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Junior Colleges do not require a high school diploma if you are over 18 years of age.
To enter Junior College you still need to take an assesment test so that they can place you in the right math, English, or Science based classes. If you are less than prepaired then you take classes that you should have taken in High School. Here is the deal, just because you are in college does not mean that you are taking college level classes. Many classes that are offered will not transfer to a 4 year school. If a class doesn't transfer and you need to take it then you are below the standard for a college level student. Untill a student had moved up the ladder to college level work how can we call them a true college student?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
To enter Junior College you still need to take an assesment test so that they can place you in the right math, English, or Science based classes. If you are less than prepaired then you take classes that you should have taken in High School. Here is the deal, just because you are in college does not mean that you are taking college level classes. Many classes that are offered will not transfer to a 4 year school. If a class doesn't transfer and you need to take it then you are below the standard for a college level student. Untill a student had moved up the ladder to college level work how can we call them a true college student?
Perhaps some people need a refresher because they've been out of school for a long time? I've met some 'college' students that could probably take a few non-transferable classes on spelling and basic grammar usage...

If the classes are available and the student is willing to take them, why does it matter?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:50 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
The problem is that they did not do well in high school, but have been "sold" by elementary and high school teachers that everybody can graduate college only if they try hard. The "self-esteem" movement and telling everybody they are equal has led to an inflated opinion of oneself and our talents. Many students who take the SOAR test get placed in remedial English and math classes because they do not know the material that is necessary to be at an entry level community college class. Also rember that the Refugee Act lets immigrants from some countries get paid a monthly check (like the GI Bill) just for going to school. The solution is to give students vocational skills at an early age so they do not waste time and taxpayer dollars.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Oh no, you di'nt!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
The state's broke. There should be a lifetime cap on how many subsidized units someone can take. If someone wants to be a student for life, they should pay full price after a certain number of units.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I guess it depends on the students goal. Many CC's have certificate programs that don't require math, but I would think college level english would be required to be successful in most programs. That said, I personally put my math off until the very end and ended up taking a business mathmatics course in order to get my AA Degree. It's non-transferable to a 4 year so I still need to complete the algebra sequence if I ever want to go for that. When my kids started college I insisted they both complete the basic math and english their first year, it's only logical.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM

It is no excuse for my poor spelling skills especially when I am starting a dialog on education. Sorry for that. I could blame it on many differant things but their is just no excuse.

Still I am questioning the credibility of calling people students that take less than a class a semester over a 6 year period. I am questioning calling someone a college student when they are in need of pre req classes. If the classes are needed then by all means take the class. Realize that you are not officially a college student untill you are taking college level classes. Just my personal rantings and ravings. LOL

Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
It is no excuse for my poor spelling skills especially when I am starting a dialog on education. Sorry for that. I could blame it on many differant things but their is just no excuse.

Still I am questioning the credibility of calling people students that take less than a class a semester over a 6 year period. I am questioning calling someone a college student when they are in need of pre req classes. If the classes are needed then by all means take the class. Realize that you are not officially a college student untill you are taking college level classes. Just my personal rantings and ravings. LOL
I'm just yankin' yer chain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California