Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Skiing sucks there, and it is close to LA. Never trade landscape for a job.
Agreed, the slopes are boring if you have any skill beyond beginner and the town is well, not even a town really. There are a few little stores and that's it. Big Bear would be better, though not by much. I wouldn't move there intentionally from somewhere else unless there was a very compelling reason, like I inherited some land or something.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,742 times
Mammoth Lakes is pretty isolated. Truckee/Tahoe area would seem best. Close to the 80, Reno/Carson City not to far away. SF and Bay like 2 hours away, more job opportunities...and AMAZING snow. Buy a snow blower.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnate View Post
My wife loves skiing as do I! We also enjoy hunting and fishing, is that something we could do in mammoth lakes or nearby? Tahoe looks nice also so we are looking into that area anyone know how the crime and schooling is in Tahoe? What about schooling in Mammoth Lakes?

Hunting and fishing are common to both areas, although your neighbors won't be impressed by your hunting.
Schools have your kids 6 hours, you have them 18, how they turn out is up to you, not the school.
Crime is pretty much limited to burglary and drunk stuff. In 40 years I never locked my front door.
Don't live in South Shore, it is just the east side of Sacramento.

Northshore or Truckee is better, and you have Alpine and Squaw and Sugar Bowl.

SSI and she skis?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:29 PM

20 posts, read 76,293 times
Quote:
Hunting and fishing are common to both areas, although your neighbors won't be impressed by your hunting.
Schools have your kids 6 hours, you have them 18, how they turn out is up to you, not the school.
Crime is pretty much limited to burglary and drunk stuff. In 40 years I never locked my front door.
Don't live in South Shore, it is just the east side of Sacramento.

Northshore or Truckee is better, and you have Alpine and Squaw and Sugar Bowl.

SSI and she skis?

PTSD is what she gets SSI for. And yes about schools but test scores also matter as of the quality of those 6 hours. We definitely are preparing our son now he is at a 24 month level and is 18 months old. Also I don't want my children going to a school and the teachers not noticing or appreciating that a kid is bright...or noticing when a kid needs some extra help. Would you? There is a reason parents look for better schools and it isn't because they are bad parents its because those 6 short hours 5 days a week can ruin a child.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
PTSD is what she gets SSI for. And yes about schools but test scores also matter as of the quality of those 6 hours. We definitely are preparing our son now he is at a 24 month level and is 18 months old. Also I don't want my children going to a school and the teachers not noticing or appreciating that a kid is bright...or noticing when a kid needs some extra help. Would you? There is a reason parents look for better schools and it isn't because they are bad parents its because those 6 short hours 5 days a week can ruin a child.
Of these mountain areas it looks like Truckee has the best public schools if you consider API scores. While API scores don't tell everything it is one indicator to consider. Take a look at his school performance map which covers the entire state. Just zoom into the areas of interest:
California School Performance Maps

The other possibility to consider is the Sierra Foothill towns which offer a lot of benefits and have some really good schools such as Grass Valley. We choose to homeschool for a variety of reasons, some of which you mentioned. But if we didn't we would probably go private.

Derek

Old 11-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Of these mountain areas it looks like Truckee has the best public schools if you consider API scores. While API scores don't tell everything it is one indicator to consider. Take a look at his school performance map which covers the entire state. Just zoom into the areas of interest:
California School Performance Maps

The other possibility to consider is the Sierra Foothill towns which offer a lot of benefits and have some really good schools such as Grass Valley. We choose to homeschool for a variety of reasons, some of which you mentioned. But if we didn't we would probably go private.

Derek
We have thought about home schooling, I had quite a few home school friends. They also went to co-ops however and if that was the route we were going I think we would definitely want to find a town with fellow home schoolers to build social skills and such. Do you guys do anything like that?

Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Quote:
bad parents its because those 6 short hours 5 days a week can ruin a child.
Bologna.

However, when parents say they want to home school, then by golly they should, save the teachers from another headache.

Heck, how about home dentistry?
how about home surgery?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Quote:
We are seriously considering moving to mammoth lakes in november. Any reason you guys can think of not to. We have a 18 month old who will be 2 and a half and we will have a 10 month old at that time. My wife gets SSI and I work customer service. Are there more than temp jobs there? What about activities for the kids? anything like mops or ecfe?
I recommend you stay in Montana and not move to California.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Bologna.

However, when parents say they want to home school, then by golly they should, save the teachers from another headache.

Heck, how about home dentistry?
how about home surgery?
David Karp, founder of Tumblr. Dropped out of school at 15, then home schooled. Did not attend college

Read more: Top 100 Entrepreneurs Who Made Millions Without A College Degree - Business Insider

Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
We have thought about home schooling, I had quite a few home school friends. They also went to co-ops however and if that was the route we were going I think we would definitely want to find a town with fellow home schoolers to build social skills and such. Do you guys do anything like that?
Yes, we are apart of several homeschool groups in the Monterey area and its been great. There are plenty of options for homeschoolers, more now than ever before. Many also do extracurricular activities such as sports, Boy/Girl Scouts, 4H, just to name a few. There are no shortage of social opportunities.

There are a lot of myths flying around about homeschooling, less now than in previous generations due mainly to its growth and positive outcomes. For example a recent article in U.S. News & World Report said that home-schooled children graduate from college at higher rates than their peers, earn higher GPAs and are better socialized than most high school students. --Home-Schooled Teens Ripe for College - US News and World Report

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California