Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM

15 posts, read 23,210 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my late 20s and will be working remotely for my current employer that's based in the DC metro area. This means I can go basically anywhere with good internet access, but I have always wanted to live in California. My original plan was to move to the Bay Area with my ex but we are, alas, exes. I am still interested in that area because I fell in love with it, but I'm also interested in LA, San Diego, points in between, or Austin, TX (randomly enough). I've never been to Austin or San Diego, and haven't spent much time in LA, so I don't have much to go by. I'm a graphic designer/fine artist so I want a place with some arts/culture/personality but I'm not currently worried about the job market since I'll be employed for the time being.
The things most important to me, in no particular order are: younger population (people around my age would be nice), warm weather, being within driving distance of the ocean, culture, nightlife, safety, close to an airport, good art/music scene.

I know none of these cities have all those things, but which would be the best fit, or maybe there's another place close to these cities that I haven't thought of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
There are sizable graphic design/art communities in Orange County. Laguna Beach has the highest concentration of artists/designers. Laguna is also very expensive.

Costa Mesa and Huntington Beach also have decent designer communities. A lot of designers are new to the business and /or just out of art school.

All three have decent nightlife, although everything seems to shut down around 10pm.

As an Art Director/Creative Director I can tell you that the job market for designers is very tight. Although it does seem to be getting better to the point where I am actually turning down freelance work.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,722 times
I would recommend visiting Austin. It fits much of your criteria and is also more affordable then the CA cities you mentioned.

Younger population: check (A lot of 20's and 30's)
Warm weather: check
Nightlife/Culture: check (6th Street)
Airport: check (Small and easy to get in and out of)
Arts/Music: check (Known for live music)
Ocean: Not really.. but it's hard to have everything. You could drive to the the Texas beaches but it looks quite far and I can't speak to how nice they are.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:11 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg139 View Post
I'm a single female in my late 20s and will be working remotely for my current employer that's based in the DC metro area. This means I can go basically anywhere with good internet access, but I have always wanted to live in California. My original plan was to move to the Bay Area with my ex but we are, alas, exes. I am still interested in that area because I fell in love with it, but I'm also interested in LA, San Diego, points in between, or Austin, TX (randomly enough). I've never been to Austin or San Diego, and haven't spent much time in LA, so I don't have much to go by. I'm a graphic designer/fine artist so I want a place with some arts/culture/personality but I'm not currently worried about the job market since I'll be employed for the time being.
The things most important to me, in no particular order are: younger population (people around my age would be nice), warm weather, being within driving distance of the ocean, culture, nightlife, safety, close to an airport, good art/music scene.

I know none of these cities have all those things, but which would be the best fit, or maybe there's another place close to these cities that I haven't thought of?

Well, if you want to be driving distance to a decent ocean, I think that rules out Austin. For some reason, when I read your post, I saw you in San Diego. Weather could be a deciding factor as that varies greatly in the areas you've listed. We may need more requirements to guide you better.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Well, if you want to be driving distance to a decent ocean, I think that rules out Austin. For some reason, when I read your post, I saw you in San Diego. Weather could be a deciding factor as that varies greatly in the areas you've listed. We may need more requirements to guide you better.
Of course Austin has no ocean, that's why it's my one wild card choice, but many people who know me have suggested it as it's "still the South in a way, but artsy and warm and lots of young people." I'm from the country of VA (don't dare tell them it's not the South) so I appreciate a more down-home way of life and less fake everything on everyone (hello OC!). The reason I'm having so much trouble deciding is all my wants contradict one another. I love the city but I still appreciate my country roots. I love art and design and makeup (LA!) but I tend to feel most comfortable at home in the mountains with my family wearing no makeup. I know, I know.....how can I possibly be helped! I know wherever I pick I will never have it all...but I hope I find a place where the things I do have make the things I don't feel less important.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Of course Austin has no ocean, that's why it's my one wild card choice, but many people who know me have suggested it as it's "still the South in a way, but artsy and warm and lots of young people." I'm from the country of VA (don't dare tell them it's not the South) so I appreciate a more down-home way of life and less fake everything on everyone (hello OC!). The reason I'm having so much trouble deciding is all my wants contradict one another. I love the city but I still appreciate my country roots. I love art and design and makeup (LA!) but I tend to feel most comfortable at home in the mountains with my family wearing no makeup. I know, I know.....how can I possibly be helped! I know wherever I pick I will never have it all...but I hope I find a place where the things I do have make the things I don't feel less important.
Ahhhh, I gotcha. Believe it or not, we sound very much alike based on your last post. I had the exact same troubles in deciding, as well. I kept ping ponging back and forth and back yet again.

If you want my unsolicited advice:
What helped me decide was not trying to have it all (as you realize you can't), but deciding out of my list that completely contradicted itself (much like yours), what was my #1 must-have above everything else. Now, where are all the places I'm considering that offer #1?

Once I had that, if it could be found in more than one place, what was my #2 must-have? Now, which cities from round 1 offer my #1 and #2 must-haves?

Keep doing this and you will quickly narrow down to the city that is right for you right now, as you'll find the place that has your most important needs, and your less important needs will fall to the side.

So, out of your "no particular order" list that you gave us, think for a while about what your #1, #2, #3, etc. are and you are well on your way to your answer.

P.S. And if I could give more advice, everyone and their brother will have an opinion about what you should do, but only you have to live your life. If I've learned nothing it's to ask questions that give you data/facts, but try to limit questions that will result in opinions, as they're just that, opinions (and you know the saying about opinions: just like hineys, everyone has one lol). And once I've made a decision where I'm going, I've learned to not tell many, if any, people because someone always tries to talk me out of it (yes, I'm moved a lot so I've been down this road more than once).

Good luck!!!

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 08-20-2012 at 11:44 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
P.S. And if I could give more advice, everyone and their brother will have an opinion about what you should do, but only you have to live your life. If I've learned nothing it's to ask questions that give you data/facts, but try to limit questions that will result in opinions, as they're just that, opinions (and you know the saying about opinions: just like hineys, everyone has one lol). And once I've made a decision where I'm going, I've learned to not tell many, if any, people because someone always tries to talk me out of it (yes, I'm moved a lot so I've been down this road more than once).

Good luck!!!
That was the best advice! I definitely suffer from too much listening to others. When I first told people about San Francisco, most of my "friends" here told me it's cold/dirty/rainy/all potheads and bums/expensive/no jobs you name it. Then I'd ask people from San Francisco and they'd tell me they would never live anywhere else. I visited twice and thought it was awesome (though some of the things my friends said WERE true...it is cold and expensive for sure). When I started talking about Austin, the California people were happy to tell me why not to go there. I soon figured out all these people I'm asking either don't want me to leave them, or don't want to see me happy.

I will definitely remember to start keeping my decisions to myself. I tend to be the type to tell all my friends and family things like "I've been reading about Austin and it sounds awesome!" knowing they are going to have a million reasons why they think I shouldn't go.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
That was the best advice! I definitely suffer from too much listening to others. When I first told people about San Francisco, most of my "friends" here told me it's cold/dirty/rainy/all potheads and bums/expensive/no jobs you name it. Then I'd ask people from San Francisco and they'd tell me they would never live anywhere else. I visited twice and thought it was awesome (though some of the things my friends said WERE true...it is cold and expensive for sure). When I started talking about Austin, the California people were happy to tell me why not to go there. I soon figured out all these people I'm asking either don't want me to leave them, or don't want to see me happy.

I will definitely remember to start keeping my decisions to myself. I tend to be the type to tell all my friends and family things like "I've been reading about Austin and it sounds awesome!" knowing they are going to have a million reasons why they think I shouldn't go.
I'm glad I could help. Just keep reminding yourself, only you have to live your life.

Believe me when I say I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm "recovering from" being the same way. lol I've lived in states I didn't want to be in for far too long for other people. Life is far too short to let others tell you how to live your life.

Also, what one person thinks is cold, you may consider warm. What one person thinks is expensive, you may think is reasonable. All these things are subjective, so really, the only person that has to like the city is you.

Now get crunching on picking your #1, #2, #3 "must-have" list and you'll be happy you did because it will lead you to the perfect city for you.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times
San Francisco is one of the three livable cities in the US, in my opinion, along with New Orleans and Boston. Portland would work, but I mold up there.

I carry a memory with me of San Francisco, I was in college, visiting San Francisco with my girlfriend, we rode the cable cars. I remember waiting at a stop, at night, with a dense fog swirling around us and the street lamp, we were both wearing Sam Spade trench coats, the fog caught in her hair, and was back lit by the street lamp light. I would have happily died for her at that moment, and I have carried that moment with me for nearly 40 years through uncounted wives and girlfriends. That to me is San Francisco.

On a practical note, when daughter #1 was living in San Francisco, which she loved, I visited her. We walked from her flat on Nob Hill to Chinatown had dinner and walked back. At night, in the dark. There were women walking alone, she walked alone, and felt safe. SF outside of the well known problem areas is a very safe city.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
San Francisco is one of the three livable cities in the US, in my opinion, along with New Orleans and Boston. Portland would work, but I mold up there.

I carry a memory with me of San Francisco, I was in college, visiting San Francisco with my girlfriend, we rode the cable cars. I remember waiting at a stop, at night, with a dense fog swirling around us and the street lamp, we were both wearing Sam Spade trench coats, the fog caught in her hair, and was back lit by the street lamp light. I would have happily died for her at that moment, and I have carried that moment with me for nearly 40 years through uncounted wives and girlfriends. That to me is San Francisco.

On a practical note, when daughter #1 was living in San Francisco, which she loved, I visited her. We walked from her flat on Nob Hill to Chinatown had dinner and walked back. At night, in the dark. There were women walking alone, she walked alone, and felt safe. SF outside of the well known problem areas is a very safe city.
Well way to stir up my emotions when I'm trying to be practical! That's such a great memory! San Francisco definitely has some mysterious magical quality. It's also quite expensive, and perhaps a bit awkward for me to now move there without my ex, since he ended up going there. I will say that while visiting I have been awestruck, but once home and thinking about how it stacks up to what I want in a city, I'm not sure it meets many of my standards. Haven't crossed it off just yet, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California