Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:38 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,155,119 times

Advertisements

This farming, cabbage/coleslaw thing is a good example of not understanding, or making assumptions on how things work.

There never was any confusion for me. A... Because, I am involved in agriculture,,,,or B...I listened to what highnlight was saying, with an open inquisitive mind, rather than making assumptions I would ask for clarification straight from the source..

Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,230,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
In fact, I have never seen a crop of coleslaw.

I probably said that the family ag business did supply most of the cabbage that KFC makes their coleslaw from.
Of course not, is there any person that does not know that cabbage is the source of coleslaw? Possible exception might be a confirmed city dweller that has little or no knowledge aside from their own little insulated world. The last sentence in the above quote is close to what I recall you posting.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,694,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Of course not, is there any person that does not know that cabbage is the source of coleslaw? Possible exception might be a confirmed city dweller that has little or no knowledge aside from their own little insulated world. The last sentence in the above quote is close to what I recall you posting.
Hoisted upon your own petard and scrambling for safety, too funny.
I can just picture the fields of coleslaw waving in the summer breeze.

Now I did notice you did not attempt to defend your second error, that growers hire farm workers, would you like me to explain it to you? I am happy to do so.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:11 PM

457 posts, read 1,183,471 times
Quote:
Agriculture in California is a direct $40 billion dollar a year business, with a ripple effect of up to $600 Billion dollars (new trucks, house payments, rent etc)

80% of the Agricultural workers in CA are illegals.

Can you come up with a solution that does not destroy the economy of the state?
Last time I checked we have a lot of people in prison, on welfare and other forms of government aids that can pick a grape or other fruits / vegetables etc. We don't need all of the illegals as people seem to insist.

Lets keep giving hand outs to people who are truly "able" to work but we allow them to continue to be "unable" to work simply to receive more government assistance.

I have met several people who refuse to get a job because its easier and more lucrative to continue to be on the government dole. (I know, I know, you'll all say that's only 1% of the nation's population of 300 million or whatever your reasoning is)

Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Last time I checked we have a lot of people in prison, on welfare and other forms of government aids that can pick a grape or other fruits / vegetables etc. We don't need all of the illegals as people seem to insist.
Ok, you are a grower, you are paying wages to get a job done, would you like to hire the folks you list, or would you rather have a crew that shows up at 6:30 AM and works till 5:00, steady hard and efficient?

A corollary to that is, why are there no whites or blacks or asians working in the fields, Only Mexican Americans, and Mexican citizens?

Now here is a report from a grower, see what he has to say:
Quote:
We had over 80 inquiries for the jobs. We had forty come in and fill out a five page application from which we picked 22 to come in for an interview with four of those not showing up. So we took the 18 remaining and started picking on a Wednesday. That day cost us over $500 a ton which is three times the normal. The next day it picked up a little.
We were becoming worried because we were getting behind as the Pinot Noir was quickly getting ripe. So we brought in one of our veteran documented crews on the third day. They (75 percent women) lapped the citizen crew. The fourth day was a Saturday and four of the “citizen crew” didn’t call or show up and at the end of the day we let another six go because they just weren’t up to the job and hadn’t showed any improvement or the desire to do so. It was obvious this was their first time in the field or else the first job ever for some of the younger pickers (some were “volunteered” by their mothers).
We need a commonsense guest worker program

Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Hoisted upon your own petard and scrambling for safety, too funny.
I can just picture the fields of coleslaw waving in the summer breeze.
Since you claim to be an old hippy quite likely you would imagine just about anything after a hit of Mellow Yellow. Do you also see fields of pickles waving in the breeze or do you actually conjure up a vision of a cucumber every now and then? As I spent 2 1/2 years on a small ranch in my early teens and have a very good memory, am still familiar with basic animal husbandry. Almost all of my classmates came from ranches or farms and you do pick up things.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Since you claim to be an old hippy quite likely you would imagine just about anything after a hit of Mellow Yellow. Do you also see fields of pickles waving in the breeze or do you actually conjure up a vision of a cucumber every now and then? As I spent 2 1/2 years on a small ranch in my early teens and have a very good memory, am still familiar with basic animal husbandry. Almost all of my classmates came from ranches or farms and you do pick up things.
I am trying to correlate either cabbage or coleslaw farming with "basic animal husbandry". If I were you I would quit while you are behind. You lose every argument, one would think that would get to you after a while, your efforts to weasel out of your statements, would bear more fruit if they occurred before you post, eh?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
If I were you I would quit while you are behind. You lose every argument, one would think that would get to you after a while, your efforts to weasel out of your statements, would bear more fruit if they occurred before you post, eh?
Tell us all something okay? Are you as boorish, with your sneering, condescending insulting attitude and smug superior holier than thou airs in real life personal interactions as you are hiding behind a computer keyboard? If so, you must routinely get knocked flat on your ass. You pulled this crap back in 2010 and early 2011 and then backed off and calmed down a bit after you got blasted, but lately you have been just as bad as ever. My patience and tolerence of your nonsense has worn very thin. Not going to put you on ignore, am going to go after you even if I get suspended or barred from CD. Got it Mister Hi-Ball Hi-And-Mighty?

Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
Uh-oh ... Shore Patrol should be along any minute now ...

Old 07-07-2012, 10:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,242,469 times
Thread getting too personal, and is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California