Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,694,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yeah, it is kinda like people feel that once you have lived in CA you are so ruined they don't want you.
You are ruined being from CA, unless you wear Carhartt as every day wear

It is embarrassing for us when we go to Nevada to visit friends and relatives and have our California license plates. At least we drive trucks, not little cars like them Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
we finally left in 2001 (san diego natives and 2nd and 3rd generation san diegans at that)....but it seems people were really starting to leave in the 90's for oregon...poor oregon! i wanted totally different so we ended up in missouri, beautiful, and since have lived in georgia and now virginia (relocations for my husband's job)...it's been so nice to see so much history!
California natives here. Have also lived in Georgia and twice in Virginia (not to leave out AL, KY and twice in NC). Luv these here Aux Arcs!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,230,047 times
Still another view on the ongoing flight from California, this time from the perceptive pen of Walter Williams. For those unfamiliar with his work, Dr. Williams is the professor of economics at George Mason University. Note that the last part of his article is meant as sarcasm, not an actual suggestion.
www.ocregister.com/opinion/california/-374077-people-state.html

Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM

He lost me on the second sentence when he repeated a line of nonsense. To equate the fiscal problem with Mammoth (just to add another city to make the list look more serious) to the fiscal problems with the other cities is intellectually and factually dishonest or ignorant.

That said, I applaud anyone encouraging emigration.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,784,618 times
Quote:
He lost me on the second sentence when he repeated a line of nonsense. To equate the fiscal problem with Mammoth (just to add another city to make the list look more serious) to the fiscal problems with the other cities is intellectually and factually dishonest or ignorant.
The ignorant part, would be not understanding and accepting what one of the top economists in the country says.

Quote:
You applaud the people with money, better jobs, and educated who are leaving California, and taking their money and jobs with them. WOW!!!!!

I remember when I lived in the Northern Suburbs of Detroit Michigan in the early 60s (assigned there as the division sales manager for multiple states when I was in the corporate world), when so many people had the same attitude you have. Since then Detroit has lost 60% of its population, its wealth, and has become one of the poorest cities in the nation. A city of poor people, with few opportunities for the citizens to prosper. A city with high crime, including a high murder rate that is 10% above last year as they reduce the size of the police force because they are so broke. A police chief in charge, that recently had to quit when it was revealed he traded promotions for sex. The good jobs left in the city, are for people that commute into the city in the daylight hours, and leave town before dark.

You may say that Detroit is not a state, so there is no comparison. WRONG. Detroit is just an example of what happens when the educated, and money leaves a city, or state behind. It soon reaches the tipping point, where it is a fast downhill slide when it reaches the point that the middle and upper class leave it to the poor and destitute.

My family were original settlers in California on both sides. I was born and raised there. I hate to see what is happening in a once great state, and the future it is sliding towards.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,230,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Lost me on this one. Did or did not Mammoth Lakes declare bankruptcy or not? Yes, many of us are aware that it was mainly because of a legal judgement against them, but just what does that have to do with the intent of the article? Professor Williams was supposed to either point this out or else omit ML from the sentence? Attack the messenger and ignore the message, the usual knee jerk leftist response to logic. Never ends, but has gotten very, very tedious.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The ignorant part, would be not understanding and accepting what one of the top economists in the country says.

One of the "top economists in the country" should have his facts straight, he didn't.

Quote:
You applaud the people with money, better jobs, and educated who are leaving California, and taking their money and jobs with them. WOW!!!!!

Remember, I applaud anyone leaving, rich poor or in between I fail to see the downside, I definitely see the upside.
Quote:
My family were original settlers in California on both sides. I was born and raised there. I hate to see what is happening in a once great state, and the future it is sliding towards.
In my mother's living room there is a chair, in her kitchen there is a carved wood salad bowl, both came to California in a covered wagon with my ancestors, so you can stop trying to impress me with that!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Lost me on this one. Did or did not Mammoth Lakes declare bankruptcy or not? Yes, many of us are aware that it was mainly because of a legal judgement against them, but just what does that have to do with the intent of the article? Professor Williams was supposed to either point this out or else omit ML from the sentence? Attack the messenger and ignore the message, the usual knee jerk leftist response to logic. Never ends, but has gotten very, very tedious.
Thank you for the opportunity to allow me to educate you. Mammoth Lakes did not have to declare bankruptcy due to financial mismanagement like the other cities, a fact which some might not quite understand but "one of the top economists in the country" should have.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,155,119 times
I got to jump in on that "one of the top economists in the country" comment my self... Is it not those economists and their Keynesian policies that got us in this mess...??????

Hellloooo... Why would anyone think they have the answers as their policies are part of the problem..!.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,784,618 times
The problems in California, are due to a leftist leaning government, that has made it so impossible to operate with high taxes, over regulation with too many bureaus, extremely high cost to do business, that is driving employers, the people with money, and the solid middle class from the state. This has led to a high unemployment rate, and a high underemployment (U6 of over 30%). This in turn has led to a terrific decline in the tax revenue to the state, and cities leading to a decline and elimination of services, including cutting back on things like police protection, and the start of cities going bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California