Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,545,653 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Santa Cruz(with time spent around Tahoe and the Bay Area and most of my other family in those areas or Sacramento Valley) and I never, ever heard anyone ever identify with being from "Central California". There was plenty of "Nor Cal Pride" stickers and businesses named "Nor Cal ___"--as well as an opposition to Southern California and allegiance with Bay Area sports teams. The Central Coast is it's own entity that comes up on local newscasts, but most people identify either with Northern California or Southern California. If people ask me where I'm from, I'll say Northern California if they don't understand the specific geography of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 PM

37,153 posts, read 42,269,129 times
When you talk "norcal" and "socal" then the bay area is clearly in "norcal" land. I've lived here my whole life and it is so. Most people do refer to it as "the bay" however, just to get more specific since even dividing the state into north and south does little to identify where you are actually talking about and much of the area north of the bay is a world unto itself and has nothing to do with bay area anything.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 AM

493 posts, read 784,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I grew up in Santa Cruz(with time spent around Tahoe and the Bay Area and most of my other family in those areas or Sacramento Valley) and I never, ever heard anyone ever identify with being from "Central California". There was plenty of "Nor Cal Pride" stickers and businesses named "Nor Cal ___"--as well as an opposition to Southern California and allegiance with Bay Area sports teams. The Central Coast is it's own entity that comes up on local newscasts, but most people identify either with Northern California or Southern California. If people ask me where I'm from, I'll say Northern California if they don't understand the specific geography of the region.
wow, i wish i was real nor cal. were there any flannel shirts involved?

the guys at seaside point up by where you are would love to hear all that.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:32 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,545,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
wow, i wish i was real nor cal. were there any flannel shirts involved?

the guys at seaside point up by where you are would love to hear all that.
Sure, whatever you say... Just making a point from my own experience, people identify as being from Northern California and not "Central California."

And Seaside, Oregon is a craphole with a breed of inbred local tweakers as bad as even Santa Cruz, so I try to stay away from that dump.

Last edited by Deezus; 09-27-2012 at 12:47 AM..

Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthevergeofanervous View Post
CA does have a great deal of beauty, the problem is after you pay your mortgage and put gas in your car you can not afford to go any where but work, and if you try you will be stuck in traffic for hours getting there.
Thats the rub. A friend of mine, formerly from California, and I also an expat, were talking about places which are pretty. She is moving to Kentucy, but finds Oklahoma a pretty state too. Not specatcular, but not dull. And the thing is, to see it all you have to do is drive out of town. You don't have to plan a vacation. At least in most of socal, you drive out of town all you get is more town. Last time I went to the beach from inland it took over two hours with traffic, and we left early to beat the traffic too. We spend more time in the car than near the beach.

Having stunning beauty for a once a year trip is NOT the same as having open space with trees and hills which is there all the time for you to see.

Last edited by nightbird47; 09-27-2012 at 01:43 AM..

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,612,591 times
I'm convinced that only meaningful division of California is coastal and interior, not northern and southern.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,694,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Thats the rub. A friend of mine, formerly from California, and I also an expat, were talking about places which are pretty. She is moving to Kentucy, but finds Oklahoma a pretty state too. Not specatcular, but not dull. And the thing is, to see it all you have to do is drive out of town. You don't have to plan a vacation. At least in most of socal, you drive out of town all you get is more town. Last time I went to the beach from inland it took over two hours with traffic, and we left early to beat the traffic too. We spend more time in the car than near the beach.

Having stunning beauty for a once a year trip is NOT the same as having open space with trees and hills which is there all the time for you to see.
You do understand that you do not have to live in Mordor, you don't have to move to Kentucky or Oklahoma to live in charming rural areas.

You can leave Mordor.

You should leave Mordor.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Bingo.

CA is a great State with some major problems as well. It is NOT the "best" State as that is in the eye of the beholder.

My wife and I were both born and raised in CA. She likes it anywhere but CA and I lean towards CA as my last place to live, even if I move in the future. Strange as it may seem I will live in a less than "perfect"
State to be with my wife. Wonder where will will live next.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,909,043 times
This distinction, between urban and rural, that .highnlite illuminates again and again is so glaringly obvious. If what bothers a person about their life is urban in character, one need only move rural. The notion that "other places" offer "freedom" from California's oppressiveness is remarkably illogical. Crowding of population density, traffic congestion, impersonalization of communities, crime, etc are urban issues -- wherever there is a city. California has as much rural variety as anywhere in the country.

That said, I encourage emigration out of California. Can't happen enough or fast enough for me. But flipping the bird on your way out the door is a bit immature if the reasons for leaving are urban to rural flight.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:54 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
This distinction, between urban and rural, that .highnlite illuminates again and again is so glaringly obvious. If what bothers a person about their life is urban in character, one need only move rural. The notion that "other places" offer "freedom" from California's oppressiveness is remarkably illogical. Crowding of population density, traffic congestion, impersonalization of communities, crime, etc are urban issues -- wherever there is a city. California has as much rural variety as anywhere in the country.

That said, I encourage emigration out of California. Can't happen enough or fast enough for me. But flipping the bird on your way out the door is a bit immature if the reasons for leaving are urban to rural flight.
But for many, not the jobs to support would-be movers/dwellers. Not everyone can work from home or live on the ancestral farm. There is no broad-brush solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California