Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 02:13 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
credit card debt
Anyone still using a credit card needs to sit back and take a real good look at their decision making processes.

We gave those things up twenty years ago,, have never missed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
That's true, but it worked for us, and I was answering the original question: How do I afford to live in California.

Another aspect is something that was just brought up in the thread: I bought my house in 1997, just before the boom, when it cost a lot less. Even after the housing crash it's still worth more than what I paid for back then.
You've also had 15 years of inflation... the dollar's buying power is a fraction of what it was.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
$80K after taxes in California for a single person is around $55K/year net, that's a great salary in a lot of places, but not in many high cost of living locations. Especially if you’re carrying the debts of what it took you to reach that kind of salary, student loans, credit card debt and etc.
Well no, carrying a ton of debt is going to kill you no matter what. But it's not a given that everyone has debt. I don't.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yeah, and I ain't posting how to live free and cheap in detail either. Next thing, people would start screwing it up and laws would be created where none are needed now
Yes, i suspect the pols would love to figure out how to tax your lifestyle. They are not getting their moneys worth from you.

I have a friend who lives on a boat with a roomie (bunkie?) and his living expenses are miniscule. He eats very little and gets most of his clothes at the shelters or local churches. He is totally happy and has free time to think, read and write. With his pension he is able to travel and go where he likes.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:03 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Didn't realize prices had fallen so much...

The woman I worked with in the Bay Area ran an Orthopedic Office and her husband is a factory trained Audi mechanic...
I would think they'd do much better there than they ever could in the Bay Area in terms of housing. That might not have been true during the housing boom, but assuming they could held onto their jobs, they are in a buyer's market of a lifetime in Vegas today, while the Bay Area is still largely unaffordable to people with jobs like theirs.

Quote:
When I last talked to them about 2 years ago they both found jobs for about half of what they had been previously earning and they had decided to give up their dream home in Iron Mountain because they could rent for a fraction of what they have to pay each month on the mortgage...
While I personally think the whole "dream home" concept is way overrated in terms of the happines it brings, I think they made a good decision. Vegas still has a lot of available land. The Bay Area doesn't and it has an anti-growth attitude on top of it. Barring something really extreme happening, people at their income levels in the Bay Area are never going to be able to afford to buy single family detached houses unless they want to be in debt over their eyeballs and/or live a poverty lifestyle and do some extreme saving (which most people won't do).

Quote:
Las Vegas/Nevada was definitely the promised land for many... I wonder now Austin/Texas isn't the new promised land?
I suspect Vegas is a better deal these days. I don't think Austin's home prices have dropped that much.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yes, i suspect the pols would love to figure out how to tax your lifestyle. They are not getting their moneys worth from you.

I have a friend who lives on a boat with a roomie (bunkie?) and his living expenses are miniscule. He eats very little and gets most of his clothes at the shelters or local churches. He is totally happy and has free time to think, read and write. With his pension he is able to travel and go where he likes.
Oh, they're getting taxes from me ... I don't avoid them ... I'll pay a good share to be a part of America. I don't own real estate in California so don't pay real property tax there, but I do pay personal property tax there on one boat ... ain't much of a boat, so ain't much tax, but still ... and I pay sales taxes of course and other state fees. I don't have to pay sales taxes everywhere I go, because I have exemptions -- but I do pay them anyway without blinking. And I pay real property taxes in Washington. Other taxes and fees in Hawaii. I am exempt from Federal and state income taxes on my veteran's compensation. That's part of Congress' gift to fully disabled vets. I paid regular income tax all my life on other earnings until I retired. Never did any tricks to avoid. Costs money to run a country and a state. I'm happy to participate.

That all said: I live so cheap and modest that my financial contributions don't mean much, just like your friend. On the other hand, I don't use much either, and I have several rental properties and donate half of my potential rental income space to persons in need. That's a contribution to society too. If I rented all that space I would be making a profit and pay more taxes.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 PM

362 posts, read 543,635 times
You WILL make it in California if you do the following:

1.Live like a broke college kid until you've paid off all of your student loans (this may mean living in a cramped apartment eating ramen until you're out of debt, but the sacrifice will be worth it!)
2.Do not accumulate any more debt. Pay cash for all consumer-goods (the job market, even for a surgeon, is way too unpredictable in CA)
3.Save 3-6 months of expenses
4.Do not get a mortgage/lease payment that is <25% of your take home pay
5.When you're ready to buy a house, put down at least 20% (don't allow some silly realtor to convince you that you can "afford" more house.)
6. Ignore other doctors and "well-meaning" friends/family who mock your frugal lifestyle. Just remember, it will be YOU who has the last laugh.

That's how to live in California, successfully on a $200K income. That's how I do it!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post

1.Live like a broke college kid until you've paid off all of your student loans (this may mean living in a cramped apartment eating ramen until you're out of debt, but the sacrifice will be worth it!)
2.Do not accumulate any more debt. Pay cash for all consumer-goods (the job market, even for a surgeon, is way too unpredictable in CA)
5.When you're ready to buy a house, put down at least 20% (don't allow some silly realtor to convince you that you can "afford" more house.)
6. Ignore other doctors and "well-meaning" friends/family who mock your frugal lifestyle. Just remember, it will be YOU who has the last laugh.

That's how to live in California, successfully on a $200K income. That's how I do it!
Good rules. I think #4 should read >25%, though.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,108 times
Quote:
That's how to live in California, successfully on a $200K income
With an income that rich, anyone could live well!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,756 times
Quote:

Good advice! That's how we do it too. Haven't paid a credit card finance charge in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California