Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM

63 posts, read 82,509 times

Advertisements

well in order to afford to live in california, you gotta have a job. it doesnt matter what kind. living in california is enjoyable but financially, its hard, especially if you work a low income job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,918,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I feel sorry for Kalifornia, and their residents. People making 80k and living in their Car? How dumb is that .................. ?
As I keep pointing out: some people live in their cars and vans by choice because they actually enjoy the lifestyle. I am one of those people. I will never live in a house again. I am out of doors almost all the time in the fresh air, in a great variety of settings, for very very low cost ... it is not hard to be clean and neat and healthy and organized in small, simplistic spaces. Leaves most of a person's time for the joys of fishing, contemplating, napping, visiting (and leaving!) friends and family, art, music, writing, exercise, and applying oneself to good deeds -- and, if still young enough to need to work: to working a career as well. While you are struggling to pay for, and taking care of, all your owned / rented infrastructure, I am engaged in the above list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_woman View Post
well in order to afford to live in california, you gotta have a job. it doesnt matter what kind. living in california is enjoyable but financially, its hard, especially if you work a low income job.
Financially hard if you set your sights on difficult or unattainable lifestyles. Creativity and an open mind are key.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
As I keep pointing out: some people live in their cars and vans by choice because they actually enjoy the lifestyle. I am one of those people. I will never live in a house again. I am out of doors almost all the time in the fresh air, in a great variety of settings, for very very low cost ... it is not hard to be clean and neat and healthy and organized in small, simplistic spaces. Leaves most of a person's time for the joys of fishing, contemplating, napping, visiting (and leaving!) friends and family, art, music, writing, exercise, and applying oneself to good deeds -- and, if still young enough to need to work: to working a career as well. While you are struggling to pay for, and taking care of, all your owned / rented infrastructure, I am engaged in the above list.
Financially hard if you set your sights on difficult or unattainable lifestyles. Creativity and an open mind are key.
I know a dude that stays in local campgrounds for 300 a month and he loves it. Every 3 weeks he has to "move" but he simply rotates camp grounds.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,973,735 times
When you do move to Calif. when looking at homes look for a property that has orange and lemon trees.. Nothing like fresh squeezed lemonade mixed with orange juice.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:11 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,703,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_woman View Post
Generally, eating requires a job. Although I get along quite fine without one, at least without a real one.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know a dude that stays in local campgrounds for 300 a month and he loves it. Every 3 weeks he has to "move" but he simply rotates camp grounds.
Well, that's the spirit of one of the options -- although I suspect your friend is rotating parks with rest stops and / or national forest camping because staying in state and county and national parks is always $20 and up per night -- which would double his $300, at minimum.

I have a perk for free camping as a disabled veteran. But I stay in all kinds of places, most of which anyone can camp for free. When I 'camp' on city streets, it is technically not legal to sleep overnight in your car -- but if done with stealth (and there are real techniques to this that will keep you both safe and free of arrest) no one is the wiser or bothered. That said, I know of more than one way to live at an actual address, with considerable, real living square footage (no, not a larger RV), all amenities and utilities, good neighborhood, view even -- all for well under $600 a month -- and 100% legal. I have no interest in being tethered to one spot, but San Francisco offers some excellent opportunities for my wife and I have thought of setting her up there with a second home away from the cabin up north.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, that's the spirit of one of the options -- although I suspect your friend is rotating parks with rest stops and / or national forest camping because staying in state and county and national parks is always $20 and up per night -- which would double his $300, at minimum.

I have a perk for free camping as a disabled veteran. But I stay in all kinds of places, most of which anyone can camp for free. When I 'camp' on city streets, it is technically not legal to sleep overnight in your car -- but if done with stealth (and there are real techniques to this that will keep you both safe and free of arrest) no one is the wiser or bothered. That said, I know of more than one way to live at an actual address, with considerable, real living square footage (no, not a larger RV), all amenities and utilities, good neighborhood, view even -- all for well under $600 a month -- and 100% legal. I have no interest in being tethered to one spot, but San Francisco offers some excellent opportunities for my wife and I have thought of setting her up there with a second home away from the cabin up north.
There are many private lakes that cut long term campers (oct to april) dirt cheap deals! If you want that info let me know I don't wanna post it for obvious reasons

Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There are many private lakes that cut long term campers (oct to april) dirt cheap deals! If you want that info let me know I don't wanna post it for obvious reasons
Thanks for the offer ... might well do that ... although, from about mid-November or Dec. thru March I am generally now in the tropics. I spend most of my California time in late Sept. to Thanksgiving or so, and then again sometime in March into May. Then back up in the San Juans usually.

Yeah, and I ain't posting how to live free and cheap in detail either. Next thing, people would start screwing it up and laws would be created where none are needed now

Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,286,403 times
Nobody making $80k a year is living in their car or homeless shelter unless they want to for some reason. That is a good income and you could live pretty much anywhere ... in an actually house or apartment.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,597,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Nobody making $80k a year is living in their car or homeless shelter unless they want to for some reason. That is a good income and you could live pretty much anywhere ... in an actually house or apartment.
$80K after taxes in California for a single person is around $55K/year net, that's a great salary in a lot of places, but not in many high cost of living locations. Especially if you’re carrying the debts of what it took you to reach that kind of salary, student loans, credit card debt and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California