Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 13,051 times

Advertisements

Hello! My hubby grew up in Lewiston and Weaverville, CA and as we live in florida now, he has grown homesick for his mountains and redwoods. He took me there once on vacation and I fell in love with the beautiful countryside. Our dream is to one day have a small hobby farm, on a big piece of land. We're country people, what can I say :-D

I wondered if anyone could give some info on a a good area to live. No further south than Redding, and no further north than Portland, OR. He is a law enforcement officer, so we need a town big enough so he could get a job easily. Also, we need someplace AFFORDABLE. I'm thinking a 1500 sq. ft house for under $150,000 or 3 bed rental for around 850 mo. I would love a family friendly town that I could feel safe in. As well as a church community to raise our 3 kids in (ages 3, 2 and 1). Obviously, good schools are a concern as well. I have read alot that those areas are gloomy. I should note that we are an active family, and although we can't stand the high heat and humidity here, we do love sunshine! We love to camp, and hike, and go to flea markets, the zoo, county fairs and festivals. All of that small town stuff, we just eat it up! If there was a Mayberry, or better yet an Everwood (you'd have to watch the show) :-D that's where we'd be!

Anyway, I know that's alot of criteria there, but any insight is helpful. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Mochamom03

Last edited by mochamom03; 05-29-2011 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Have a look at Ashland or Grants Pass, OR. Both are nice towns, although Ashland would be the pricier of the two.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:44 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,543 times
You could also check for smaller plots with homes in Applegate Valley that is between Grants Pass and Medford, like Ruch, Williams, etc..

That would leave employment options in both Grants Pass and Medford, even Central Point.

I like Grants Pass. Its also close to the redwoods. Ashland won't come anywhere close to the money you mentioned.

Roseburg might be worth thinking about, but seems a bit sparse on the nearby perimeter for hikes and stuff.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Law enforcement agencies across the state are going through major cuts in their budgets and there are a lot of California POST certified officers looking for jobs that have been terminated. You might need to be open to expand your search for a place to live in California. No large Metro areas in that part of the state. Redding and Chico would be the largest north of Sacramento. Also lots of other LEO agencies in the state.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:24 PM

10 posts, read 15,096 times
Forest Service has LEO's in the far north of the state you might find employment there.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:58 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
There is no place in California where jobs are available "easily". Unemployment rate is 12 % Humboldt County, 15% Shasta County (Redding). The other counties are listed in the Calif State EDD stats. I would stay put till the economy improves.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Since the OP is open to moving as far north as Portland, OR (which means, really almost all of Oregon and only a tiny portion of CA north of Redding), you may have more luck getting a good answer on the Oregon forums than the CA ones. Oregon may be better for all we know.

I've been to Ashland once, and it's really nice! It's small town, but not too small; it has a certain sophistication to it as well. As for being near redwoods, Redding is a drive to the coast ranges, but it doesn't have much of a small town feel, but rather more suburban, and it's extremely hot. I'd stay away from the valley if I were you, and keep more coastal. Oregon doesn't really have redwoods except in the very southernmost coastal area. So if you REALLY want redwoods, you may have to stay near the coast between Eureka/Arcata and Brookings, OR.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Very few small towns have zoos (ours is always under threat of being closed for $$ reasons) so if that's important, look in the larger communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California