Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 PM

21 posts, read 73,771 times

Advertisements

Hi, I currently live in Newport Beach, even thought it's great it's just way too expensive.
I'm looking to move to Northern Cali sometime next year and am looking for a mid-sized town which is safe and the houses aren't too expensive, I'm thinking 400-450K range. It can be anywhere as long as it's 40 mins. drive within an international airport.
The only place I've looked into is West Sacramento (but I haven't had good feedback on that). So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
I also love art, museums, coffee houses, etc. So somewhere 'artsy' would be ideal.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 12:01 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
Artsy, 40min to airport, and cheap don't necessarily all work together. Cheap and 40 min to airport has you looking in the right area. Might give Davis a try, it's close to Sacramento with a little lower prices, safe, but might be a bit of a climate and culture shock.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Funny you say that, someone else recommended Davis to me earlier today. I will actually be visiting near that area next week so I will check it out.
And about adapting... I've lived in 5 countries from super-hot Australia and Fiji, to cold England and Canada, so when it comes to weather or culture nothing really phases me

Old 08-04-2007, 07:36 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,439,108 times
Chico. A very nice town. Davis is a great town, but, Chico I think is more attractive and closer to the hills. Bidwell Park is hard to beat.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 AM

I was searching some new places today, and I'd like some advice about Woodland. It's only 25 mins from the airport and looks reasonably priced.
It's also near Davis which everyone I talk to seems to love! I'd probably prefer somewhere like Davis but Woodland is cheaper.
Has anyone been there/lived there and if so, would you recommend it as a nice place to live?
I'll be going to Davis in a few days so if there's positive feedback I'll check out Woodland too.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 AM

433 posts, read 2,355,724 times
Your price range (400 to 450k) can also get you into the eastern suburbs of Sacramento including Folsom, Roseville and Rocklin.

Folsom has a very charming downtown (Sutter St). Coffee shops, restaurants, zoo etc. The American River and Folsom Lake are very nice. Light rail connection to Sacramento too.

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:10 PM

58 posts, read 287,172 times
You know, there are actuallly some nice neighborhoods within the city of Sacramento proper. Hollywood Park, South Land Park Hills, and Pocket/Greenhaven come to mind in your price range. These are all about 20 minutes south of Sac International. All of these neighborhoods have their own businesses ranging from restaurants to Staples where most of us go. On a Sunday, without commuter traffic, I can make it from my front door in the Pocket to Macy's garage at the downtown mall in 15 minutes.

Carolyn Montgomery
Realtor

Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 52,043 times
north is more expensive than southern california

Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 PM

48 posts, read 404,939 times
Have you thought about Alameda--very close to Oak airport and driving distance to SFO, right on the water--beach town, close to everything, a fairy ride to the city, great small town with small businesses, artsy, it is somewhat costly as it is in the bay area, but there are plenty of affordable cottages and condos, cute older victorian homes, and alameda seems to be less than other desirable neighborhoods close by.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the info. guys, I'll be looking into some of those places mentioned

And to CbGuy: It all depends on the area. But as a general for 450K you get a tiny condo in Newport Beach, whereas you can actually buy a house with a yard in the Sacramento area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California