Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 36,806 times

Advertisements

Is there any walkable neighborhoods in California besides SF? I don't drive and i live in Sacramento right now but i want to move in 2 years.I'm thinking about moving to the Oakland,Alameda,Emeryville(Northern California) or San Bernandino area (Southern California). I need a city with good public bus transportation. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM

277 posts, read 883,867 times
Cool Me too

I am interested in the same thing. Looks like San Jose and San Francisco are going to work fine. But they both require $$$. So pls let me know if you hear of other cities too! Also, enjoy Sacramento for me. It was a tad hot when I lived there in the '80s.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
Old Pasadena is fun, vibrant and completely walkable. Most buildings are from the late 1800's to early 1900's. I lived there and sometimes didn't take my car out of the garage for a week. Aside from having tons to do, it's stunningly beautiful with awesome architecture. You'll find shops, clubs, boutiques, galleries, 2 good museums, a seemingly endless supply of restaurants as well as many places to actually live within it's confines. This is only the beginning of what's there. You can walk to groceries as well. It's also served by the Gold Line (Metro Rail). I've lived many places and found Old Pasadena the most walkable.

Last edited by Sorcerer68; 08-02-2007 at 06:20 AM..

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callygrl View Post
Is there any walkable neighborhoods in California besides SF? I don't drive and i live in Sacramento right now but i want to move in 2 years.I'm thinking about moving to the Oakland,Alameda,Emeryville(Northern California) or San Bernandino area (Southern California). I need a city with good public bus transportation. Any advice?
Of the places you listed, San Berdo is probably the worst for walkability. Most of the Inland Empire is still clinging to the hope that car-based planning is good and will solve all of life's mobility needs.

It may come as a surprise, but if you pick your neighborhoods carefully, LA and San Diego offer opportunities to live without a car. Give it a couple of years and Oxnard/Ventura will be there. Santa Barbara, though pricey, easily accommodates -- and encourages -- you to quit toting a car around to every errand.

More southern CA advice: stay away from Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Aguora Hills, Calabasas and Santa Clarita. You'll likely find those cities a total frustration without a car.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
More southern CA advice: stay away from Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Aguora Hills, Calabasas and Santa Clarita. You'll likely find those cities a total frustration without a car, as you dodge high-end SUVs on your daily walk.
Dodging cars wouldn't be a top concern. It's just the distance from where you live to shopping. Most of the homes just aren't within walking distance.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Dodging cars wouldn't be a top concern. It's just the distance from where you live to shopping. Most of the homes just aren't within walking distance.
Yeah, as an afterthought, I dropped the "dodging cars" bit from my original post. But since you caught me , it's been my experience in those communities that dodging cars driven by impatient drivers underscores every walk. Entering crosswalks on a green light is an exercise in keeping your head swiveling around like a human light house, watching for car drivers who don't care much to wait for you to get ten paces beyond the path of their cage's grill. Moreover, since driving a car is so pervasive in these communities, waiting for one pedestrian has the effect of backing up traffic for two blocks.

That said, you're correct, the main problem for walking in the communities mentioned is distances to stores and services.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 25,905 times
Default Old Town orange...

I went to college in Old Town Orange and absolutely loved it. The houses are small, but cute and have a lot of character. They are pretty pricey for what you get though. But, the circle si pretty fun and there are alot of restaurants with in walkling distance. THIS IS NOT A BIG CITY THOUGH! It's nothing compared to SF or NY. Just small and quaint!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,983 times
There are parts of San Diego where this could work.
Downtown, Hillcrest are two examples.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Belmont Heights and Belmont Shores and great walkable areas in Long Beach.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
West Hollywood, Fairfax/Melrose District, Los Feliz, even downtown are decent walkable areas with things to do/buy/see within a 15-minute distance. We welcome leaving our car in the driveway for the weekend and walking to a cafe/big park/library/theater/Trader Joes without breaking a sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California