Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:32 AM

284 posts, read 1,017,205 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our 20s and plan to move out to the SD area this fall. We're not wealthy but one of our dreams is to live on a sailboat for at least a year before we start a family. We thought it might be a good time to consider doing this rather than renting an apartment. I would love to hear experiences and tips from people who have lived aboard or known someone who has. Also, what are some live-in friendly marinas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,082,951 times
Thumbs up You won't regret it

Do it! The experience will reward you in many ways. You'll find out how less in life is definitely more. On a sailboat you have limited space, so it will force you to collect in physical possessions principally only what you need for day-to-day living. You'll borrow books or movies, and just pass them on. You won't have the luxury to fill your limited space with needless "stuff." Not only will this make life easier when you move, but think of all the money you'll save by not cramming your living space with $20 and $30 impulse purchases, expensive furniture, big-screen TVs and whatever else a Saturday trip to the mall might compel you to buy. Instead, you'll learn to appreciate rich moments of chatting with fellow boaters in the company of sea breezes, pelicans and a peaceful coexistence with the water and nature. If you have the opportunity to live on a boat for a while, again, do it.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,443,803 times
But do it in Mexico! Try San Carlos, or La Paz.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:00 AM

28,948 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Do it! The experience will reward you in many ways. You'll find out how less in life is definitely more. On a sailboat you have limited space, so it will force you to collect in physical possessions principally only what you need for day-to-day living. You'll borrow books or movies, and just pass them on. You won't have the luxury to fill your limited space with needless "stuff." Not only will this make life easier when you move, but think of all the money you'll save by not cramming your living space with $20 and $30 impulse purchases, expensive furniture, big-screen TVs and whatever else a Saturday trip to the mall might compel you to buy. Instead, you'll learn to appreciate rich moments of chatting with fellow boaters in the company of sea breezes, pelicans and a peaceful coexistence with the water and nature. If you have the opportunity to live on a boat for a while, again, do it.

ohhhhhh my, that sounds delightful...like heaven I can't imagine life at sea...
Do you know if anyone has written a book on this?

I am older now, and say to you, do it, experience all you can...as to me, life can be adventurous, fun and such a great learning tool through experience, it isn't at all about material things.

Good luck!!!!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,328,487 times
My sister lived on a sailboat for a few years and loved it! It is challenging at times but she wouldn't change that time of her life one bit. They sailed all over and stayed in places for only a while each time. My cousin did the very same for nearly 10 years and also loved it. She and her husband worked and lived in their sailboat in Florida. It is definately a different way of life and not everyone could do it. But if you can then for sure go for it. You do adjust to smaller living spaces and meet some of the nicest people. People who think like you and enjoy the freedom of the ocean!! Good luck and have a great adventure!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Couple of Quotes "Don't dream your life, Live your Dream"
and "Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure", that quote is on the stern of our sailboat.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
I had briefly considered this option too, but due to family considerations I wasn't able to do this. I read the book "The Intricate Art of Living Afloat" by Clare Allcard, and found it helpful when I was actually thinking I was going to do it:

http://books.google.com/books?id=n1A...esult&resnum=5

Last edited by NewToCA; 07-15-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-21-2007, 10:21 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,796,632 times
Quote:
My husband and I are in our 20s and plan to move out to the SD area this fall. We're not wealthy but one of our dreams is to live on a sailboat for at least a year before we start a family. We thought it might be a good time to consider doing this rather than renting an apartment. I would love to hear experiences and tips from people who have lived aboard or known someone who has. Also, what are some live-in friendly marinas?
I assume you want to have children when you said "start a family." You are in your 20s. Time already works against you. I suggest you focus on your career and start a family as soon as possible. There is going to be plenty of time to live on a sailboat later.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-21-2007 at 10:31 AM..

Old 07-21-2007, 12:07 PM

Follow your dreams now, nobody has promised you tomorrow. Years from now when you are tied to work, mortgage, paying for college you will regret not doing it now. Besides, there is no rule that says you cannot have your sailboat, sail the world, and take your kids with you.

I suggest a subscription to Latitudes and Attitudes; Welcome to Latitudes & Attitudes Magazine (http://www.seafaring.com/magazine/ - broken link)

We have sailed Mexico with our young children, they had a ball and learned far more than they would have if we had left them home, or stayed home.

"Live with no regrets

To regret is one of the worst feelings one can have. It causes you to spiral into thoughts of what might’ve been, if only you had, etc. As you lie on your deathbed and ponder how you spent your precious time on this earth, will you regret it?"

Old 07-21-2007, 05:21 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I assume you want to have children when you said "start a family." You are in your 20s. Time already works against you. I suggest you focus on your career and start a family as soon as possible. There is going to be plenty of time to live on a sailboat later.
a

What on earth for?
Is the earth underpopulated? I hadn't noticed any lack of humans.
They've got a good 20 years or more to start that family (my mom was 45 when she had kids). They'll NEVER likely have a chance to live free if they don't take it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California