Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,806,113 times

Advertisements

I just realize that hanna_house didn't ask whether they should or should not do it. My apology. Go ahead and follow your dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 04:46 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,343,700 times
This sounds fun. We researched it and considered doing it for a while when we came back to L.A. I have too many pets (2 big dogs and at the time 3 cats) so it's traditional land life for us. I think you'll have a blast. I've read some blogs and sites for those who do it.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 AM

234 posts, read 1,271,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I assume you want to have children when you said "start a family." You are in your 20s. Time already works against you. I suggest you focus on your career and start a family as soon as possible. There is going to be plenty of time to live on a sailboat later.

Time is against you???? WTH. You got another 15 -20 years to worry about before the "sands of time" run out <sarcasm> PLUUHEEESE

I say go for it !!!--- it sounds like an adventure of a lifetime. One that you will always remember and can go back to <once the sands of time run out> <wink>

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Default LA Times Real Estate on boat living

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
My husband and I are in our 20s and plan to move out to the SD area this fall. We're not wealthy but one of our dreams is to live on a sailboat for at least a year before we start a family. We thought it might be a good time to consider doing this rather than renting an apartment. I would love to hear experiences and tips from people who have lived aboard or known someone who has. Also, what are some live-in friendly marinas?
Today in the LA Times real estate section. (use bugmenot.com to get logins if necessary)
Los Angeles Times: Drop anchor, you're home

Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 AM

284 posts, read 1,017,713 times
Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the tips and encouragement and will continue keeping this an option. The article that was posted was very informative.

As for the person who said time was working against us, as I mentioned, it would only be for about a year so I don't think it should interfere with starting a family. Still, these decision are not to be made lightly.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,445,913 times
While anchored in an isolated cove in Mexico I dropped a wrench overboard in 30 feet of water. The kid from a nearby sailboat, 12 years old saw me do it, swam over dove and retrieved it. Kids on sailboats live well, are smart and capable, and ready to help out. That boy and his family are somewhere in the Southwest Pacific today, having a ball.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I assume you want to have children when you said "start a family." You are in your 20s. Time already works against you. I suggest you focus on your career and start a family as soon as possible. There is going to be plenty of time to live on a sailboat later.
Wrong, do it now, enjoy life to it's fullest, as you get older things change and you may not be able or want to do it, I think living on a sailboat would be a blast. don't just live on one, learn to sail and see some sites.

I worked with a guy who lived and sailed for years after college, he did the work till retirement thing backwards, he enjoyed life while he was young and then settled down, i feel it's real smart to enjoy things while your young, theres no rule for when you need to start a family and adding a few years of maturity will improve parenting.

Last edited by Roaddog; 07-22-2007 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-22-2007, 12:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,086,402 times
Default Buyer beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Thanks to everyone who replied. ...as I mentioned, it would only be for about a year so I don't think it should interfere with starting a family. Still, these decision are not to be made lightly.
Don't be surprised if you surprise yourself, and that one year -- only four seasons -- turns into another year, and another. It happens easily if you find sailboat living suitable for you. I've known people who lived on boats, had kids and raised them in the marina. Those kids grow up with natural abilities and proper respect regarding boats and the ocean. They are active kids who must find something to do outside, always playing on the beach, in nearby parks, or catching crabs and starfish in the rocks at low tide. When they're not doing this, they're learning oceanography and sailing skills with organizations like Jr. Lifeguards. On the other end of life's spectrum, I've known people who have sold their house and moved onboard, which allowed them to semi retire.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:56 PM

28 posts, read 158,171 times
great choice san diego is amazing if i didnt live in LA sandiego would be my next choice for sure

Old 07-24-2007, 02:56 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,069,226 times
Quote:
\

This person sounds like a disgruntled grandparent wanna be!

I didn't have my first child until I was 29 and have never regretted my decision, women are having children in their forties these days. I think it's good to get your wanderlust out of the way first, too many people blame their children for taking away their youth, when it's quite obviously not the child's fault. Bravo to you both for wanting to be resposible parents and realizing the fact that your freedoms are limited when you have children if you want to be a good parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California