Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,398,566 times

Advertisements

I don't know for a fact but I heard that Prop 19 failed in the "Emerald Triangle" [the north coast counties] where the most and best marijuana is grown. If the growers and the economy of those counties is dependent on keeping marijuana illegal then maybe the new proposition will need to address the economic impact of totally legalizing marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
It will be on the ballot again, probably in 2012, rewritten to address criticism its wording. If that fails then it will be back again after that.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:49 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,554,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't know for a fact but I heard that Prop 19 failed in the "Emerald Triangle" [the north coast counties] where the most and best marijuana is grown. If the growers and the economy of those counties is dependent on keeping marijuana illegal then maybe the new proposition will need to address the economic impact of totally legalizing marijuana.
The mom and pop growers were indeed against the proposition. For all of the talk they probably dish out about the merits of pot, it all came down to money for them.

How would you address the economic impact to them? Why should they be treated special? Do we subsidize all of the mom and pop grocers who were put out of business by the large grocery chains? Do we subsidize all of the mom and pop hardware stores that have long disappeared due to Home Depot and Lowes?

If you have to sweeten the proposition to essentially "buy votes", aren't you advocating something you would otherwise criticize?

Both parties buy votes by making deals and there certainly are subsidies in America. Just wondering what you would consider a fair and equitable solution.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It will be on the ballot again, probably in 2012, rewritten to address criticism its wording. If that fails then it will be back again after that.
It will still be against federal law, as it should be.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Yes, it will still be against federal law, and the passage of the proposition will start a national debate about whether enforcing pot bans are worth the expense to the taxpayers. California passing a proposition/measure/initiative won't make pot legal the next day but it is the next necessary step. Actually I think the federal government would fold just like they did for the "medical" marijuana situation. I think it will be legal some day although that may be quite some time.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,730,271 times
If California passes the Proposition in 2012, it will make marijuana possession up to an ounce (plus the grow) legal. Now if the federal court system strikes it down, there will be no reversion back to the old CA law.

The reason is that California upon passage of the Proposition will remove marijuana possession from the Penal Code as a petty offense (as it is classified since Arnold signed that into law 2 months ago). The federal court upon striking down the Proposition does not have the power to then make marijuana illegal again under California state law. That is up to the California legislature.

A better worded proposition is: To remove marijuana as a petty offense from the California Penal Code in is entirety, as opposed to saying "Legalize marijuana."

Federal courts do not have the power to create criminal laws for states.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,090,730 times
MJ has and will continue to be detrimental for the physical mental and social welfare for all of us as a society. From the criminal aspect who grows it on state lands to the backyard growers who got Dr feelgood to prescribe it... they all create an environment less safe and less desirable to live in... from growers with guns to stoners with no drive.... to the increased health care costs and risks from lung issues... (please..get real.. smoke inside you is not healthy no matter what drug is carried in that smoke)

I have no problem synthesizing into a potent form of thc and putting it in a pill... regulated of course.. then I dont have to smell you...deal with the backyard ripoffs or odors and nasty cartels... I just get to deal with the aftermath of a stoner... now DUI with it...

I too am glad I arrested people for it... as with all mind altering substances... I dont want it around or see its negative effects everywhere

The Jihad wont have to kill us .. we're doing a great job all on our own

Impeach me... hell no.. Ill testify as to how I feel.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,921 times
You dope smokers lost. What is the problem/issue? Isn't that what you liberal's want? The majority of the people? Isn't that what you complain about? The PEOPLE of the State of California have spoken:

They DO NOT want marijuana legalized.

Just because you smoke dope and enjoy it, doesn't mean everyone else does. Its over. You lost. Of course, you are drug addicts and will fight, whine, and moan. You lost; get over it.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,770,998 times
The majority of California voters are idiots, turning down tax revenue from a large cash crop.

I and millions of other people WILL smoke marijuana whether you like it or not!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
The majority of California voters are idiots, turning down tax revenue from a large cash crop.

I and millions of other people WILL smoke marijuana whether you like it or not!
A false statement. Each and every individual city would have to make laws, in order to get the taxes. It would not, nor would it, occur. That is ONE of the many problems with Prop 19.

However, for you dope smoking, tree hugging, thumb sucking hippies, I am sure, next year, the proposition will be more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California