Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 PM

37 posts, read 70,911 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Me and the family have been approved for an apartment at Springhill Gardens Apartments in Vallejo, CA. I've read some very frightening things about the dangerous aspects of living in Vallejo, and I would be tremendously grateful for any helpful information as to whether these apartments are in a safe area. We haven't signed anything yet so we aren't set in stone about this place. Several people have said Benicia is a better place to live (especially as I have three teen kids), and we would welcome recommendations for apartments in safe areas even in other towns. Also, we will be without a car for a while so safe public transport or being very close to shopping is extremely important. A million thanks to any and all helpful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 PM

Welllll, in case anyone ever does read the prior post, we have scratched that option. We wanted Oregon initially, and reeeally still want Oregon, so... Oregon it will hopefully be.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:35 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,092,810 times
Where in Oregon?

Old 10-29-2010, 07:57 PM

Oh (hello ) well that's a bit of a story but I'll be brief. We desperately want to move to Portland. We've planned on Portland for about 8 months. My husband drives a truck (otr) and we've had the opportunity to choose where we want to be, and in meantime have been saving to relocate. Well, right when we were literally ready go within a week or two, his company (who has known for months Portland was our plan) informed him that they would almost never (or never) be able to get him home if he lives there. Great. Sooo, we started scrambling to look in NorCal, which was orininally (about 9 or so months ago) one place we considered. We found the area mentioned in my first post here, and were approved for the apartment, but in the process of doing our research found that the area wasn't what we wanted for our family. Back to square one, and still in love with the idea of Portland, we have decided we'll at least get somewhere in Oregon close to the CA border (where the company CAN get him home ), and then at some point asap he hopes to transfer companies so he can drive home to Portland and we can live there (if not - the ideal - find a local job altogether so he can actually live at home again). My oldest son is interested in the university there, and our middle son learned some snowboarding a couple years ago and really wants to learn more and dabble in that, and we all really love the coast. So maybe the Brookings area in Oregon will work for us for now. We've really liked what we've learned about it so far. It's much smaller than we would prefer, but we're no stranger to small towns, so we'll get by for a while until - hopefully at some point in our near future - Portland!

Do you live in Oregon?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,092,810 times
I lived in Brookings for a year. It's not a bad town, but get used to the rain because there's lots of it. Ashland's great too, but it gets snow, something you won't have to deal with too much in Brookings.
Up in the Portland area, I wouldn't hesitate a second to live in Lake Oswego. I love that town. There's also a French patisserie there that's incredibly good.
Up the coast a bit from Brookings, there's also Gold Beach. Smaller, but a very nice community.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM

Thank you a ton for your input. Always appreciated. We love rain, and snow also, so those are ok for us ...lived in South Dakota before and LOVED that ... As for further north, unfortunately anywhere northward is out for us due to my husband's job. But, hopefully Portland can be in our future though! Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California