Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM

38 posts, read 122,612 times

Advertisements

Hi i live in washington,d.c and planning on going to college in california either uc of santa barbara which is in santa barbara,CA,uc of santa cruz which is in santa cruz,CA and ex'pression college for digital arts in emeryville,CA and i'm still looking at more colleges that are in Cali.How are these areas are they safe? are there alot of gangs? i like wearing different colors lol, is it diverse like alot of different races? i'm a black male and iwould like to meet people of different races while i'm out there.can anybody give some insight on this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptdreaded View Post
Hi i live in washington,d.c and planning on going to college in california either uc of santa barbara which is in santa barbara,CA,uc of santa cruz which is in santa cruz,CA and ex'pression college for digital arts in emeryville,CA and i'm still looking at more colleges that are in Cali.How are these areas are they safe? are there alot of gangs? i like wearing different colors lol, is it diverse like alot of different races? i'm a black male and iwould like to meet people of different races while i'm out there.can anybody give some insight on this

Santa Barbara is one of the nicest cities in California, or the country, for that matter. Santa Cruz is beautiful/safe too. Not sure about Emeryville.

I'd live in either SB or SC.

Here's a good thread: UC Santa Cruz vs. UC Santa Barbara? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Have you been accepted to either UC school?

What are your SAT and/or ACT scores?

What was your high school GPA?

Old 10-09-2010, 04:28 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Please don't refer to California as "Cali". A lot of us hate that. We don't refer to your hometown of Washington DC as "Washi", do we?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:00 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times
Mysticaltyger just took what I was going to say. But yeah, you get to CA or California and start saying "Cali" your probably not going to make friends easily and they will know your a tourist right away.

Santa Barbara is beautiful!!! Better have lots of $ though. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:54 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Please don't refer to California as "Cali". A lot of us hate that. We don't refer to your hometown of Washington DC as "Washi", do we?
Thank you!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Santa Barbara is very safe and a wonderful relatively small town that certainly in diverse. It is nothing like the MD/DC area where you live now.

I do think you need to consider a couple of things: I see, from another post, you are taking or have taken a class on preparing for your GED. Not to be the barror of bad news, but I think you would find getting into any University of Ca school very competitive, not to mention, you apparently haven't considered the cost of attending CA schools for out of state students.

Oh, and as others have said, many in Ca get really upset when you refer to it as Cali. It is California, abbreviated CA.

Nita

Old 10-09-2010, 01:33 PM

38 posts, read 122,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Santa Barbara is very safe and a wonderful relatively small town that certainly in diverse. It is nothing like the MD/DC area where you live now.

I do think you need to consider a couple of things: I see, from another post, you are taking or have taken a class on preparing for your GED. Not to be the barror of bad news, but I think you would find getting into any University of Ca school very competitive, not to mention, you apparently haven't considered the cost of attending CA schools for out of state students.

Oh, and as others have said, many in Ca get really upset when you refer to it as Cali. It is California, abbreviated CA.

Nita
that post is old, i have my high school diploma now in maryland if you get above 500 on each subject on the GED you get your high school diploma. I went and took my SAT total was 1680 , sorry everybody for calling CA cali i didn't know it was a big deal

Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
I went and took my SAT total was 1680
UCSB Freshman Applicant Statistics (Fall 2009 Entering Class)

Applicants: 44,713

* 4.01 average GPA
* 1876 mean SAT score
* 4% of admitted students are non-residents

Old 10-09-2010, 09:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,284 times
Quote:
that post is old, i have my high school diploma now in maryland if you get above 500 on each subject on the GED you get your high school diploma. I went and took my SAT total was 1680 , sorry everybody for calling CA cali i didn't know it was a big deal
It's not. It's only a handful of uptight people who care that you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California