Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,330,366 times

Advertisements

Dreams are never gone...they may have to be put on hold for awhile or change a bit but they don't just up and go!!! Unless you let them go. It's just a different time now but the California dream is still alive and well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,495,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Dreams are never gone...they may have to be put on hold for awhile but they don't just up and go!!! Unless you let them go.
Well, dreams change. They become different things for different people. The idea that CA is going back to orange groves and lilly-white suburban families is a fantasy. The California Dream is still alive and well, it is just different, and I think there are a lot of people who don't like what that dream has become. That is a tough situation, but that is life.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:23 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,330,366 times
That's what I said....things change, dreams change but the dreams are still there. It depends on what your dream is. If a person wants to go back 20+ years it's not going to happen, as you said. There are other places that would fit that bill....

Old 07-03-2007, 11:33 AM

223 posts, read 281,536 times
i just dont care for living in ca anymore.not all of us can afford to live near the coast or the mountains or san diego.i miss the 4 seasons.its hot inland from may-oct with very little rain.relentless heat drains me.ca is always in a drought.homes,food,products,gas & utilities are wayyy over priced.ca is full of greed plus driving on the freeways can be quite deadly.i live 70 miles inland near san bernardino.its very smoggy,hot & dry here during the summer & early fall.a avg fall day here is 80 degrees.im just sick of it & i gotta get out before i end up in the nut house.BTW.....a small studio apt in the low income del rosa area of san bernardino rents for $550.00 mo ( up from 300.00 mo.in 1998 ) & that includes water,hot water,trash & seward.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,798,244 times
Whoever says CA housing is expensive is not looking at the right places? Salton Sea, for example, has houses for less than 100k. Brand new houses are available too. CA is a big State, and not all of it is like LA for SF, not yet anyway. The trick is buying in a city that's sparsely populated, especially one with a cool sounding name. In a few years the population expands to your city. It becomes SD. Prices go up. Your house is now worth five times what you paid. And if you had the foresight to buy a couple of them, you would be in very good shape. The CA dream is still alive, my friends. You just have to want it.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-03-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 05:57 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,684,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It applies to nearly every growing city in our country. I am a firm believer that globalization and the constant cowtowing to the wealthy by local, state, and federal governments is forcing the middle class out of the high-cost, high-paying job centers and into low-cost areas. Those low-cost areas have murky economic stability and it is unclear as to whether or not the high paying jobs will ever get there. A bigger house is not something that drives my decisionmaking - I grew up in a small house and never really wanted for anything.

For me as a young man it is better to absorb the higher costs of living with a higher income than to move to a low-cost area and earn less. My housing costs are fixed for life and I am at the beginning of my prime earning years. So while I can understand one's decision to leave, is it so difficult to understand why someone in my position would decide to stay?
I liked this post Sassberto. A bigger house wasn't the reason we left California either....heck I only have 1700 sq feet when i could of purchased 4000 easily in Texas. (But why? We are a family of 3) Leaving Cali was more about putting our money into other things and investments. (Investing alot of money into a house is not a sure thing anywhere...even California.) Also wanted to spend more time with my daughter instead of both of us working and commuting and turning her into a latch -key kid. We were lucky to have been offered (my hubby) a BETTER paying job in Texas (believe it or not) when we were starting to look at homes in Cali...(yes we almost bought a home in San Diego before we got the job offer) The cheaper cost of living was just a plus...like ANOTHER raise so to speak.

I guess if I didn't visit so often I might miss it more....but luckily I get the best of both worlds. I love San Diego...and I understand why you stay.( I don't understand spending 400k on a house in Rolando.....lol....but I understand why you stay.) (That wasn't meant to be rude)

Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,444,134 times
Shoot, James, head for Alturas, you will think you have died and gone to heaven. The one point that drives me a bit nuts, is these folks complaing about where they live, you have a car, or take the bus, get outta there, get to your dream before you shrivel up and die.

"If I could just get off a this LA freeway
without getting killed or caught
Down the road in a cloud of smoke
to some land that I ain't bought, bought, bought"

Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,105,848 times
The California Dream better not be gone. I plan on coming back!

I think all those people I saw in Laguna Beach and Newport, in April are LIVING the California Dream quite well. They are living my California Dream!!

Last edited by Roma; 07-03-2007 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 09:24 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
The California Dream better not be gone. I plan on coming back!

I think all those people I saw in Laguna Beach and Newport, in April are LIVING the California Dream quite well. They are living my California Dream!!
If you really want to live in California again (thus living "your California dream" again), you could at any time, but you wouldn't have the house by the ocean that you want in Orange County at the price you're looking for. You could do as thousands of others do, and that is to rent, even rent a house by the ocean while you wait for the prices to go down. So, really, the dream to live in CA is available to you right now; just not on your terms.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,105,848 times
Aren't you sweet Donna7, Oh, and I remember you are in Ohio. That is where my husband and I are originally from. Have you heard of Granville? Anyways, Yes the dream is still there in California for the taking. My taking, dang nab it! Someday, I tell ya, someday.
No, we have not given up on it yet! It just might have to wait for awhile. My husband tells me "patience my dear, patience".

Last edited by Roma; 07-04-2007 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California