Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,072 times

Advertisements

After 10 yrs of being away, my family and myself are going back home to California from Indiana. Since we have been away so long, we need the honest opinions of what's going on currently.

We are a family of 10 (6 of which are children ranging from ages 16yrs to 8months) and we will all be living together until we get established and on our feet. We are looking to relocate to a city/area that is affordable, good schools, within 45-1.5 from OC and LA. We will need at least a 4-5 bedroom house ( no more than 1500.00 monthly). We are self employed professionals so income is not a problem, we are also degreed professionals so if applying and qualifying for employment wouldn't be a problem either.

I am asking for sincere honest opinions from residents who are currently living in California and can attest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Where are your jobs going to be?
Is that 45 to 90 minutes in traffic or at 3AM?

(Without checking myself) For that budget and those housing requirements, I'd bet you will have to look at the far inland empire, Palmdale, or in neighborhoods that don't have fantastic schools. Again, I didn't check but that's my guess.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:57 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
The only things missing from this are "safe neighborhood" and "near the beach".

Those are impossible requirements, IMHO. 1500 will get you 3BR in the far reaches of the desert hinterlands such as Rosamond or North Edwards. But then you can't cover the good schools part or drive times (at anything other than 3am).

Your requirements are unrealistic.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Lake Elsinore.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Even if you are "degreed professionals" you're going to be operating in a climate of 12% unemployment. Suggest you develop a solid backup plan.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The only things missing from this are "safe neighborhood" and "near the beach".

Those are impossible requirements, IMHO. 1500 will get you 3BR in the far reaches of the desert hinterlands such as Rosamond or North Edwards. But then you can't cover the good schools part or drive times (at anything other than 3am).

Your requirements are unrealistic.

With that being said " Fontucky"..what is more realistic for my family and myself? What are yoru suggestions?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

(Without checking myself) For that budget and those housing requirements, I'd bet you will have to look at the far inland empire, Palmdale, or in neighborhoods that don't have fantastic schools. Again, I didn't check but that's my guess.

LOL...I'm positive it will not be at 3am...so I'm assuming that time frame is not doable. That's fine. What area's would you suggest?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Are you familiar with the Inland Empire area? Can you suggest a specific city?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnybunn33 View Post
Are you familiar with the Inland Empire area? Can you suggest a specific city?

Where are you going to be working?

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
I think what people are referring to is the high cost of living in California, especially close to LA & OC. You are aware that housing is much, much more expensive than Indiana right?

$1500/mo for a 4-5 bedroom house is very low. So you will need to be in an outskirt town. That's why thousands of people make hellacious commutes from Riverside, San Bernardino, Temecula, Murrieta, Palmdale, Santa Clarita, etc... into LA & OC. But LA County is the largest county in the nation with literally millions of people on the road at the same time. So traffic is really bad into the major economic hubs from these outlying areas. And even if you can find a place with rent that low it will be hard to do it in a nice neighborhood with 'good' schools. Probably the closest may be Murrieta. But you still may need to readjust your housing allowance. Or pick a different part of the state.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California