Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,082,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Your argument is the standard entitlement complex of white collar america. Because I went in debt for six figures I'm therefore ENTITLED to compensation that'll put me above water and then some. I say again, welcome to the global economy Doc. According to your logic it's perfectly OK for those overpaid rivet-pushers at GM to do away with their unions and dillute their income to levels that'll make johnny white collar happy, but when the same principles of of economics encroach on an already de facto unionized medical profession (via barriers to entry,,the AMA) the MDs are now all of a sudden suffering Christ Incarnate. Yeah right. Do you actually believe for a second medical Doctor aspiring students will all of a sudden cross their arms and about face and punt on medical school? Many will do that sure, but look at the airline industry as a prime example of demand inelasticity. Once you open up the floodgates of med school, as demand for care currently demands, BOATLOADS of students hungry for a job will get in and get their education, flooding the market with doctors and diluting the income of said doctors as it should happen under a globalized nilly willy economy you people cheerlead for. Don't like it? Don't play the game. But don't argue said outcome is good enough for airline pilots, who carry your grandma at 500MPH every single day, and the rivet pusher that puts the chassis you drive to work everyday, and the engineer who Q.C'ed that spec, but not good enough for Doc because you argue his hands are the work of Jesus Christ himself. Outright moral relativism.

Overuse of the medical system? That's a mere architectural flaw side-symptom of the problem. The unsubstantiated technology cost being pushed by equipment manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies and management types are the reason health care literally costs more than an arm and a leg, and doctors want their cut legitimately, but that *** is up on doctors. Time to bark up the right tree.

The "free" market economy that's been pushed on the manufacturing base of this country says that doctors will have to follow suit, meaning the barriers to entry will have to come down and more doctors will need to be allowed to get churned out of med school. Doc wants none of that, because that will eat into his income potential, he doesn't want any part of globalization. Standard white collar entitlement behavior. I swam through the muck of eight years of undergraduate and graduate engineering education, on both sides of the classroom, so I DO know exactly what it takes to create an M.D. piece of paper, both economically and academically. I just do not subscribe to the degree-holders' moral relativism when it comes to their eroding purchasing power. Absolutely standard white collar argument of "my quality of life is earned and justified, after all I worked *really hard* in school; your quality of life creates inefficiency and is bloated" moral relativism... *ugh*.

Tell you what, management lowered the payscales once again on the regional carriers, we'll just let the flight attendant have a hack at it the rest of the flight, since doc in the back thinks I'm overpaid, of course pilots don't have the AMA for a union....
Stop with the class war-fare. There are fewer white-collars therefore they earn more money than blue-collars. And in the medical field there are even fewer doctors, surgeons. They need to be payed with money. You know the thing most people need in order to survive in the world. Because if you don't have any money then how will you pay for food, utilities, and taxes?

I don't like how much money many surgeons and doctors are earning. But then again they have to be worried on being screwed over by people all the time for not "curing" them. The human body is a machine and many of the times it will try to fix itself without any surgery or medication. So trouble may occur on its own when the body recognizes something foreign. And no it is not true that many nurses only show up two days a week for class. That is stupid, absolutely stupid for you to say that. They would never have made it through school if they only showed up twice a week. You obviously have no idea how university works. A nursing degree is not a communications degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,975,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Your argument is the standard entitlement complex of white collar america. Because I went in debt for six figures I'm therefore ENTITLED to compensation that'll put me above water and then some. I say again, welcome to the global economy Doc. According to your logic it's perfectly OK for those overpaid rivet-pushers at GM to do away with their unions and dillute their income to levels that'll make johnny white collar happy, but when the same principles of of economics encroach on an already de facto unionized medical profession (via barriers to entry,,the AMA) the MDs are now all of a sudden suffering Christ Incarnate. Yeah right. Do you actually believe for a second medical Doctor aspiring students will all of a sudden cross their arms and about face and punt on medical school? Many will do that sure, but look at the airline industry as a prime example of demand inelasticity. Once you open up the floodgates of med school, as demand for care currently demands, BOATLOADS of students hungry for a job will get in and get their education, flooding the market with doctors and diluting the income of said doctors as it should happen under a globalized nilly willy economy you people cheerlead for. Don't like it? Don't play the game. But don't argue said outcome is good enough for airline pilots, who carry your grandma at 500MPH every single day, and the rivet pusher that puts the chassis you drive to work everyday, and the engineer who Q.C'ed that spec, but not good enough for Doc because you argue his hands are the work of Jesus Christ himself. Outright moral relativism.

Overuse of the medical system? That's a mere architectural flaw side-symptom of the problem. The unsubstantiated technology cost being pushed by equipment manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies and management types are the reason health care literally costs more than an arm and a leg, and doctors want their cut legitimately, but that *** is up on doctors. Time to bark up the right tree.

The "free" market economy that's been pushed on the manufacturing base of this country says that doctors will have to follow suit, meaning the barriers to entry will have to come down and more doctors will need to be allowed to get churned out of med school. Doc wants none of that, because that will eat into his income potential, he doesn't want any part of globalization. Standard white collar entitlement behavior. I swam through the muck of eight years of undergraduate and graduate engineering education, on both sides of the classroom, so I DO know exactly what it takes to create an M.D. piece of paper, both economically and academically. I just do not subscribe to the degree-holders' moral relativism when it comes to their eroding purchasing power. Absolutely standard white collar argument of "my quality of life is earned and justified, after all I worked *really hard* in school; your quality of life creates inefficiency and is bloated" moral relativism... *ugh*.

Tell you what, management lowered the payscales once again on the regional carriers, we'll just let the flight attendant have a hack at it the rest of the flight, since doc in the back thinks I'm overpaid, of course pilots don't have the AMA for a union....
you don't understand my position at all. i am not against any working person in the united states as long as they earn their money honestly. you need to calm yourself down as we are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:35 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,685,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
Stop with the class war-fare. There are fewer white-collars therefore they earn more money than blue-collars. And in the medical field there are even fewer doctors, surgeons. They need to be payed with money. You know the thing most people need in order to survive in the world. Because if you don't have any money then how will you pay for food, utilities, and taxes?

I don't like how much money many surgeons and doctors are earning. But then again they have to be worried on being screwed over by people all the time for not "curing" them. The human body is a machine and many of the times it will try to fix itself without any surgery or medication. So trouble may occur on its own when the body recognizes something foreign. And no it is not true that many nurses only show up two days a week for class. That is stupid, absolutely stupid for you to say that. They would never have made it through school if they only showed up twice a week. You obviously have no idea how university works. A nursing degree is not a communications degree.
Nursing [which can be had in the 2-year plus certification version as opposed to 4-year mind you] vs comm major. Um, I do think it is [the same effort and content from a compensation standpoint]. We agree to disagree on that count. I taught at the undergrad level to a bunch of "peer" engineering students with the same entitlement complex that gets defended on here. *Whiny voice* "Awww, I like went to college to work really hard and there's no waaaay I'm gonna work for JUST 40K, that's just chump change my loans are more than that". That's a quote from a senior engineering student and that's representative of the majority degree-holding population. Said accepted attitude when extended to the almighty calling of doctors and no wonder it's outright blasphemous for the white collar folk to accept or argue for accepting a reduction in compensation....

Look, some majors fare better than others depending on what's the flavor of the month in corporate america, but it does not take away from the underlying reality that nursing and comm. are interchangeable when juxtaposed to the belly-aching about blue-collar "overcompensation". You're dang skippy it's class warfare that fundamentally legitimizes the belly-aching of doctors, you're just on their side and I'm not. That doesn't make what I'm highlighting any less legitimate, uncomfortable [class warfare] to many here perhaps, but not any less legitimate.

As to the economies of scale argument, that doesn't have to equate to more earnings, that's just uninformed assumptions. There are fewer working airline pilots than there are doctors, doctors as a median get paid more. So that assumption is debunked. Market forces go beyond simple economies of scale. Enough said on that. I'm just offering a differing view from the acceptance of medical doctors as holy men is all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business