Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,837 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping that those of you who are business owners can help me with something.

Is there established rule of thumb for calculating the cost per hour of paying an employee? Just to get a rough estimate. For example, if you are paying someone $15/hr, approximately how much more would it cost you for expenses like social security, workman's comp, etc. Not including benefits. I know it varies and I am talking about a low risk injury type of job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Is there established rule of thumb... Not including benefits.
I know it varies and I am talking about a low risk injury type of job.
10-15% should cover the basics.
The real costs though are in efficiencies.

Out of the basic 2080 annual hours you are paying them for...
how many will be spent doing something actually productive or even profitable?
Once you figure that out you'll never complain about employer taxes again.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:58 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
10-15% is unrealistically low. There is SS matching, unemployment ins., but that is just the beginning. Training and getting an employee up to speed takes time and money, you have to factor in a percentage of "fails" where the employee turns out to be incompetent or a thief or lazy or all of the above. If you are going from zero employees to one, there is the additional cost and time in setting up and following reporting and payroll. You might get down to 15% with a large staff and low turnover, but for a first employee I would factor a 20 hour loss at the wage to start, and then 30% and hope that it went down. Underestimating costs is one of the worst things a business owner can possibly do.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
10-15% is unrealistically low. There is SS matching, unemployment ins., but that is just the beginning. Training and getting an employee up to speed takes time and money, you have to factor in a percentage of "fails" where the employee turns out to be incompetent or a thief or lazy or all of the above. If you are going from zero employees to one, there is the additional cost and time in setting up and following reporting and payroll. You might get down to 15% with a large staff and low turnover, but for a first employee I would factor a 20 hour loss at the wage to start, and then 30% and hope that it went down. Underestimating costs is one of the worst things a business owner can possibly do.
I agree. When I had a business with 2-4 employees, and it was always 15-20% without medical, ouside training, paid vacation or sick leave even for part-timers. Add those and you can be up to 40%. In my current job as a manager I budget 35% additional for benefits and related non-salary costs. This does not include the cost of working more hours yourself or paying someone overtime when someone is off sick.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Although the other information is useful, the 15-20% is what I was looking for. Just the basics of what is required by law. 20% seems like a good number?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
I would say 25-35%. Maybe even as high as 40% depending on what bennies you offer. When I had my shop my guys hourly cost was about 50 bucks field and 30 for office. The employees were paid about 25-35 for field guys and office were 12-25 depending on job descriptions.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Just what is required by law. I know there are other expenses, but I only want to know what is required for the employer to pay based on salary on non-overtime work in a relatively safe workplace. No benefits, no overtime, no training. I know those other expenses must be considered for any employer before they budget for employees and I am not trying to ignore of belittle its importance, but that's not the information that I need.

Is 20% a reasonable percent above their regular salary for government requirements?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Just what is required by law.
SS/FICA, Unemployment (rates vary) and Workmans Comp (rates vary)
Quote:
No benefits, no overtime, no training.
Is 20% a reasonable percent above their regular salary for government requirements?
For the basics (absent other information not presented) 20% is an UPPER limit to budget.
10-15% really should do it.

Get the 941 forms and instructions... do a few specific examples
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-941,-Emp...ral-Tax-Return

Old 03-10-2014, 08:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
SS/FICA, Unemployment (rates vary) and Workmans Comp (rates vary)
For the basics (absent other information not presented) 20% is an UPPER limit to budget.
10-15% really should do it.

Get the 941 forms and instructions... do a few specific examples
Form 941, Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Depends on the kind of employee you're hiring. If mean if you're hiring hamburger flippers, yes. If you're hiring professionals, it's an entirely different ball game:

Matching FICA
Unemployment
Workman's Comp
Vacation
Health insurance
Matching 401(k)

Then there are the other costs that don't necessarily show up on a W2, but are costs nonetheless:

Square footage
Computers and supplies
Training
And the list goes on

Old 03-10-2014, 09:21 AM

19 posts, read 20,170 times
The amount you are legally required to pay is 7.65% of the employee's pay. That is the matching amount for social security and Medicare.

Everything else is optional and up to you if you want to take the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business