Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,647 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create employee evaluations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,380,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberger411 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to create employee evaluations?
Yes, contact a labor attorney.

Your evaluations need to be overly objective-based. Either an employee did something, or they did not, and this is measurable or quantifiable. Example, either the employee missed x number of work days or did not, show up late x number of times or did not, made x number of errors or did not. Either the employee met the performance standard, or they did not.

That will protect you from harassing discrimination lawsuits.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:33 PM

34,287 posts, read 83,849,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your evaluations need to be overly objective-based. Either an employee did something, or they did not, and this is measurable or quantifiable.
But no half measures! Either do it and do it all... or don't do any of it.
For smaller companies and organizations the less you document the better.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,140 posts, read 82,590,011 times
You cannot admonish/punish an employee for something not required in writing. The best performance review is based on a plan that the supervisor and employee agree to ahead of time, that has measurable
results. For example, less than 5 errors per 100 orders processed, or
for a cashier, less than one day per month over/under on balancing the cash drawer.

It's a lot more difficult for many job, but if you stop and think about it and discuss it together with the employee you can come up with something that will give objective evaluations.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,917,873 times
Here is my way: Every year, I call you into the office in the morning. I say "sit down Larry and let's talk about your job". Larry sits down and we discuss his job, has he progressed towards the goals I want and has he met my expectations. I might say something like "you know I like your quality and the way you do your job but there was that day you called in sick and I don't like it when people call in sick". At the end of that, I tell Larry to leave his company ID, keys, phone and laptop with me and to empty out his desk or cubicle. I then tell him that, at the end of the day, he will find an envelope from me in his mail box. It will contain either his final paycheck with severance and unused vacation OR it will contain a paycheck with his new raise. If it has a paycheck, his items will be placed back in his office and he gets to work for me as a trusted and reliable employee for another year. If it contains a severance check, he has worked his last day for me. That is the way I would do evaluations.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
I call that http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif (broken link)

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,272,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
Here is my way: Every year, I call you into the office in the morning. I say "sit down Larry and let's talk about your job". Larry sits down and we discuss his job, has he progressed towards the goals I want and has he met my expectations. I might say something like "you know I like your quality and the way you do your job but there was that day you called in sick and I don't like it when people call in sick". At the end of that, I tell Larry to leave his company ID, keys, phone and laptop with me and to empty out his desk or cubicle. I then tell him that, at the end of the day, he will find an envelope from me in his mail box. It will contain either his final paycheck with severance and unused vacation OR it will contain a paycheck with his new raise. If it has a paycheck, his items will be placed back in his office and he gets to work for me as a trusted and reliable employee for another year. If it contains a severance check, he has worked his last day for me. That is the way I would do evaluations.

Great recipe for creating a nervous wreck who will bring a weapon into the office and go "postal"

Old 11-30-2011, 08:57 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,647,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
I prefer to yell and scream, then smash their fingers with a hammer.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:39 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,997,395 times
A written review should be based strictly off a well written job description which is based on well written company goals and objectives which is based on your 3-5 year plan which is based on your mission statement.

Getting the picture? Make sure to comply with all state and federal labor laws regarding employee evaluations.

90days-6months-1year is a good standard to mitigate any and all future wrongful termination claims. As well as substantiate raises, demotions, promotions and terminations.

Yeah I have just a little HR experience.

Better yet get ahold of a Paychex HR packet.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,917,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Great recipe for creating a nervous wreck who will bring a weapon into the office and go "postal"
No, it would be my way of keeping workers productive and doing a good quality job. Employees tend to act like they are "safe" after they have worked somewhere for an extended period of time. This usually starts around 5 or 6 years after hire. Employees need to know they are not "safe". They need to know that the expectations of their work are the same whether they have been there for a month or for a decade. In all honesty, I would probably never fire anybody that way but it would keep them on their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business