Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times

Advertisements

There is one thing that I haven't found that is great in the area, and that is Mexican food. When I go out of town I always find places that I end up liking, but it seems like most Buffalonians aren't crazy about Mexican. I actually really like that Grandma Mora's (is that what it is called?) on Elmwood, but besides that I can't find anything else that is great. I have tried La Tolteca, and about three other places that I can't remember their names.

I know Dunkirk is fairly hispanic, are there any great places there?

FYI, the best Mexican food I ever had was some hole in the wall in rural Tennessee, I looked like it would be bad, but it was amazing, so I'm not looking for fancy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:44 AM

31 posts, read 134,612 times
Lone Star (Hertel)
Cinco de Mayo (Cheektowaga)

Old 06-27-2009, 11:41 AM

I have tried Cinco de Mayo, that was one I couldn't remember the name of, when I had it I found it a little bland, although the salsa was very good. I will have to try Lone Star, I'll probably go there tomorrow after church, and let you all know what I thought!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Mexican food in this part of the country is seriously lacking. I never knew what I was missing until I lived in Texas but after having the real stuff its hard to eat some of what passes for authentic Mexican in the north. If someone knows a place that is really good I'd love to hear about it as well.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 PM

185 posts, read 418,446 times
I live here in El Paso i tried convincing my friend to open up a real authentic mexican restaurant up in buffalo

Old 06-28-2009, 07:58 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
IMO Grandma Mora's hasn't been the same since it was on Niagara Street. Still not too bad, but not great.

My favorite was El Caporal on Union, across from Cheektowaga Central. Authentic Mexican. Well, too authentic. It closed when INS raided it because the owner was implicated in an illegal mexican ring where he was sneaking illegals into the country and treating them as indentured survents in his restaurants. I felt bad about that too, since I ate there a lot before they were closed as the food was really good.

Cinco DeMayo isn't bad, but every time I have been in there, the service has been terrible.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 PM

137 posts, read 316,171 times
Yeah I remember Grandma Mora's back when it was on Niagara my dad used to get a mexican pizza atleast once a week. Their new place on Hertile is still pretty good. The owners have been family friends of ours since my older brother was born (26 years ago.) Oh and a little side note the owners of Grandma Mora's are italian.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Authentic Mexican. Well, too authentic. It closed when INS raided it because the owner was implicated in an illegal mexican ring
The way ypu said that made me laugh.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:08 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
IMO Grandma Mora's hasn't been the same since it was on Niagara Street. Still not too bad, but not great.

My favorite was El Caporal on Union, across from Cheektowaga Central. Authentic Mexican. Well, too authentic. It closed when INS raided it because the owner was implicated in an illegal mexican ring where he was sneaking illegals into the country and treating them as indentured survents in his restaurants. I felt bad about that too, since I ate there a lot before they were closed as the food was really good.

Cinco DeMayo isn't bad, but every time I have been in there, the service has been terrible.
They had an "authentic" restaurant out here that was part of the same series of raids. Another "authentic" restaurant opened again, lasted maybe three months.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,163 times
My wife and i have lived in the area for a few months now, and have been greatly disappointed in the Mexican available in the area. i understand regional tastes vary, but when mighty taco is referred to as good, there is a problem.

We have been to Mexico numerous times, lived in southern California for a few years and recently frequented Mexican village in Detroit, so i feel i have a pretty good sense of what Mexican should taste like.

A few days ago we tried coyote cafe in hamburg, the sides offered with meals include "Mexican spaghetti" and "Mexican potatoes"... also after the meal we asked for a refill on the chips, and it was obvious they were "recycled" some of the chips had dried salsa on them and there were a few beans in the basket also... completely ruined the meal, and we'll never go back again.

Tonite though was a completely different story, we went to Arriba Tortilla Mexicana in east aurora... very very good I highly reccomend it. my wife had enchiladas, beef, chicken and veggie. I had chicken fajitas ... all were very good. we ordered a flan to go as well, and it was great.

We were close to driving to Erie Pa for Mexican.. im glad we found this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area