Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
I haven't heard much about any robberies or crime on Elmwood - from what I know it's pretty unusual, but yet as we all know - every city has crime no matter what part of town, and almost anything can happen at any given time in that particular area.
Yeah, no doubt that is true. And I don't want to say Elmwood Ave is some kind of high-crime area. But I think people don't pay much attention to the crime that there is around Elmwood. And since it's really hard to pull up old news stories, and they're not much publicized anyway, these incidents fade from memory quickly.

I tried googling the crime Urban Peasant was talking about but I couldn't turn up anything. There was this incident (Bakery robbery caught on tape (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/031409_Bakery_robbery_caught_on_tape - broken link)) in a Boston bakery named "Sweet Tooth" that he may have mixed it up with. And then a couple of weeks there was this robbery (Arrest made in robbery of Parkside Avenue store : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/595506.html - broken link)) in Parkside. But the only Candy store I know of on Elmwood is that Can Can Candy and since that just opened like a month ago I think we would have heard about it getting robbed.

Anyway, I can recall within the past year or so Elmwood Ave robberies at Jim's Steakout, ETS, Key Bank and one of the gas stations. But stating that robberies are "frequent" or "infrequent" around there is meaningless; what we need is the crime map that other cities have. Transparency. Then we wouldn't have to speculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 AM

414 posts, read 1,504,964 times
Well I can tell you my house was broke into and robbed once (at 12:30 in the afternoon) My garage robbed twice of a ton of my construction equipment, I have had two vehicles stolen, one on Ashland and one on Anderson. I caught people robbing vehicles in broad daylight three times and chased them once with a baseball bat and once with a pair of hedge clippers (never caught them) So there is a decent bit of criminal activity. Its the kids from the lower west side or east side who come into the village due to the passive attitudes of the residents and good takings.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 AM

94 posts, read 460,407 times
Are you sure it's the kids from those neighborhoods? That sounds a little biased to me. Surely the kids around "The Village" would never do anything like that. Or did you mean to say African-Americans or Hispanics where the culprits of the robberies?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:43 AM

323 posts, read 1,791,068 times
Elmwood Ave
It doesnt get any better than this!
I miss it dreadfully!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM

414 posts, read 1,504,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonchaser View Post
Are you sure it's the kids from those neighborhoods? That sounds a little biased to me. Surely the kids around "The Village" would never do anything like that. Or did you mean to say African-Americans or Hispanics where the culprits of the robberies?
I don't have to guess or speculate. Did you miss the spot in my post where I said I caught them in the act? When I chased them they always took off towards the lower west side. If I wanted to say blacks or hispanics I would have. I chose not to make it a race issue.
I'm sure there are a few bad kids in the Elmwood neighborhood, but for the most part they are good kids with active parents.
I didn't have the luxury of growing up in the 'sticks' like you. I grew up in the worst section of the city (east side) I know the deal.
Nice try, as you just posted your fear of rite aid.

While we are on the topic, people interested in what happened to Lauren the bicycle riding Gardener should know he was robbed by gun point at 12:30 in the afternoon on Gill Alley back in late October so he is retired.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
While we are on the topic, people interested in what happened to Lauren the bicycle riding Gardener should know he was robbed by gun point at 12:30 in the afternoon on Gill Alley back in late October so he is retired.
That sucks. Didn't know the guy but I always saw him around.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Yeah, no doubt that is true. And I don't want to say Elmwood Ave is some kind of high-crime area. But I think people don't pay much attention to the crime that there is around Elmwood. And since it's really hard to pull up old news stories, and they're not much publicized anyway, these incidents fade from memory quickly.

I tried googling the crime Urban Peasant was talking about but I couldn't turn up anything. There was this incident (Bakery robbery caught on tape (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/031409_Bakery_robbery_caught_on_tape - broken link)) in a Boston bakery named "Sweet Tooth" that he may have mixed it up with. And then a couple of weeks there was this robbery (Arrest made in robbery of Parkside Avenue store : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/595506.html - broken link)) in Parkside. But the only Candy store I know of on Elmwood is that Can Can Candy and since that just opened like a month ago I think we would have heard about it getting robbed.

Anyway, I can recall within the past year or so Elmwood Ave robberies at Jim's Steakout, ETS, Key Bank and one of the gas stations. But stating that robberies are "frequent" or "infrequent" around there is meaningless; what we need is the crime map that other cities have. Transparency. Then we wouldn't have to speculate.
Here is the story taken right from the Buffalo News Police Blotter:

Elmwood Avenue store robbed at gunpoint : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/596612.html - broken link)

The name of the establishment is Fowler's Chocolates at 754 Elmwood Avenue which according to Google Maps is right in the heart of the Elmwood Village.

I don't trust crime maps that much because they are not always frequently updated. Ours in Boston frequently omits crimes mentioned in the Boston Globe or Boston Herald.

And no I would never confuse an incident that happened in Boston, Massachusetts with one that happened in Buffalo, New York. Most of our street names aren't even the same (e.g. we don't have an Elmwood Avenue). As for Boston, New York, why would I mention something that happened in a little town miles away from the big city? The one place that might confuse me with Buffalo is Niagara Falls because the writers of the Buffalo News don't always specify where an incident is happening and because both Buffalo and NF have some similar street names like 18th street and Niagara Street.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I'd live there, if I was single. Heck, I might live there with my family too. I had a brother and a sister graduate from Buff. State and I didn't notice the neighborhood until I went to my younger sister's graduation and realized how nice it was in that part of Buffalo. Are there other neighborhoods that are similar to Elmwood?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd live there, if I was single. Heck, I might live there with my family too. I had a brother and a sister graduate from Buff. State and I didn't notice the neighborhood until I went to my younger sister's graduation and realized how nice it was in that part of Buffalo. Are there other neighborhoods that are similar to Elmwood?
Near Elmwood is of course Allentown, which is similar, but on a smaller scale. Some parts of downtown may compare, but generally in the city of Buffalo, Elmwood is always the neighborhood of choice - along with nearby Parkside/Delaware Park areas, and beyond. It's hard to compete with one of the very top urban neighborhoods in the country!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Here is the story taken right from the Buffalo News Police Blotter:

Elmwood Avenue store robbed at gunpoint : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/437/story/596612.html - broken link)

The name of the establishment is Fowler's Chocolates at 754 Elmwood Avenue which according to Google Maps is right in the heart of the Elmwood Village.
I tried all kinds of searches on the Buffalo News website and came up with nothing. Goes to show you. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

Quote:
And no I would never confuse an incident that happened in Boston, Massachusetts with one that happened in Buffalo, New York. Most of our street names aren't even the same (e.g. we don't have an Elmwood Avenue). As for Boston, New York, why would I mention something that happened in a little town miles away from the big city? The one place that might confuse me with Buffalo is Niagara Falls because the writers of the Buffalo News don't always specify where an incident is happening and because both Buffalo and NF have some similar street names like 18th street and Niagara Street.
I wasn't trying to slam you, dude, anybody can make a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area