Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:08 PM

161 posts, read 703,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
It does seem like a pretty poor area around it, do you think guests would mind? How's the safety? And yes someone did mention the Historical Society, where do you get married in that place? I've heard it's a great place for wedding pictures?
A lot of people get their wedding pictures taken outside the Historical Society... whereas frankly I think it's boring. Too much white marble and some very dull landscaping.

They have a smaller building closer to Elmwood Avenue that would be too small for your sister... she'd need to be in the main building, which has a big reception room that overlooks the lake and the marble stairs. They usually set up the bar out on the top of the stairs, just outside the doors, for summer weddings. It can be very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
yes there is some money to burn ....
Please remind your sister that the vendors spend far greater a time planning for the services of which they are hired (photographer and dj), thus dinner. In the "wedding profession" the more up-scale, the less "hired help" is considered. Not saying your sister..... just a statistical generalization, and thinking to even those who are reading & planning a wedding themselves.

I hear all the time about a dj getting to an event 2 hours before a reception to make sure everything is just right on their end (not counting travel time) & taking 2 hours of over-time because their service had been great.... without having been included in the caterer's head count.

Lots of times brides forget that a photograher shows up at 10 am and is expected to shoot pictures until the very end of their reception. Sometimes 12 hours is a long time to go without eating.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Another something to consider, when looking at a place of reception and feeling pressured into hiring their "in house" sound system, please ask what their policy is on "restrict of trade" as according to New York State law when you found a dj willing/appreciating to work to your/their details.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:44 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,346,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
My wedding/reception was fairly small, under 200 people. We had the ceremony at the bottom of the grand staircase, then cocktails and dinner in the area outside where you go in the doors to the actual theatre, then dancing back out in the main foyer. The DJ was up on the second floor.

Butler Mansion: Williams-Butler House / Jacobs Executive Development Center

There is a phone number on there to call for rental information. If you search "Butler Mansion" and "reception" you'll see some links...
Thank you, and Shea's does sound nice we will look into that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraggio View Post
A lot of people get their wedding pictures taken outside the Historical Society... whereas frankly I think it's boring. Too much white marble and some very dull landscaping.

They have a smaller building closer to Elmwood Avenue that would be too small for your sister... she'd need to be in the main building, which has a big reception room that overlooks the lake and the marble stairs. They usually set up the bar out on the top of the stairs, just outside the doors, for summer weddings. It can be very nice!
She does really want something by the lake/waterfront area with nice landscaping for wedding pictures. More ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Another something to consider, when looking at a place of reception and feeling pressured into hiring their "in house" sound system, please ask what their policy is on "restrict of trade" as according to New York State law when you found a dj willing/appreciating to work to your/their details.
Will do, and thank you

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-22-2008 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks Everyone! We aer still searching a little bit, but thanks for all the info!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,638 times
i beleive the buffalo news can send you a wedding guide and the vendors advertise in there.

If your interested in going outside the city, LaGalleria Resturant is nice and tehy have a gezbo outside which you could have the ceremony at. Kloc's (spelling) Blossom Grove on Transit does nice weddings too, if they are still open. It's been a long time since I've been to a wedding in buffalo .

Good Luck with the planning. There's a fancy place in Williamsville too and I do not remember the name.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 PM

I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Harry's Harbor Place is recommended highly. The water & sunset would make for some great reception shots.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Harry's Harbor Place is recommended highly. The water & sunset would make for some great reception shots.
Sounds great! Is it in the city? Where is it?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Yes, it's in Buffalo, and the view is amazing. Can't believe I didn't think of it first.

2192 Niagara Street
Buffalo, NY 14207

Harry’s Harbour Place Grille Buffalo NY Harry’s Harbor Restaurant Buffalo New York

Banquets: Buffalo NY Banquet Hall Buffalo Area Banquet Restaurant Buffalo Wedding Receptions Corporate Events (broken link)

Old 07-29-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's in Buffalo, and the view is amazing. Can't believe I didn't think of it first.

2192 Niagara Street
Buffalo, NY 14207

Harry’s Harbour Place Grille Buffalo NY Harry’s Harbor Restaurant Buffalo New York

Banquets: Buffalo NY Banquet Hall Buffalo Area Banquet Restaurant Buffalo Wedding Receptions Corporate Events (broken link)
The place looks fantastic! Even if not for the reception, it looks like the ideal place for the rehearsal dinner! I am astonished at the fact that I have never heard of this place before - thank you for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area