Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 04:31 PM

27 posts, read 24,506 times

Advertisements

Planning to relocate to either Brevard County or Pensacola. I have visited both before but only for about a week in each. I really loved how Brevard County had such crisp air, not horrible humidity, great weather, everything looked really nice and sunny. The air quality is very important to me. I dont like when it feels like you cant breathe because of the dense humidity.

I know that Pensacola, being in the gulf, has more of that dense air feeling but I dont think its year-round, is it? Just in certain seasons like when it rains really heavily in the heat? I loved Pensacola's beaches more than Brevard, I think. Water seemed clearer and the sand was whiter. Then again when I went to Brevard's beach it was at night so maybe I'm wrong, but usually east coast beaches have darker water and not as soft sand. Pensacola probably has a higher chance of getting hit by a hurricane though, I'm assuming.

I work from home & self employed so employment opportunities aren't really a concern of mine in either area. Mostly concerned about how nice people are in a certain area, the weather/air, the beach quality, and generally just having random fun things to do around town like coffee shops, great restaurants, cool bars, festivals maybe? Nice shopping centers. That kind of thing.

Single female, no kids. 30s. Please let me know which area you think is better and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 06:33 PM

Also curious about dating prospects in both areas. Not sure if it differs.

Old 03-03-2023, 08:07 AM

264 posts, read 337,553 times
You'll find Brevard much changed with the Brightline trains running through. In the fall of 2021, we started looking for a SFH in Brevard since we loved our Cocoa Beach condo. We found several nice homes in Rockledge, until we realized they were literally right beside the tracks. They are estimating 32 high speed passenger trains will be running through the area EVERY DAY on top of whatever freight trains go through.

Melbourne has some nice areas, some not so nice. Same with Cocoa. Palm Bay is rapidly expanding, but we found the infrastructure wasn't there to support the growth. Who wants a $400k house on a dirt road with a well and septic? We didn't. Besides, it's a long ride to get to the beach from Palm Bay because you have to go north to Melbourne to get to a causeway over the river. Port St. John as some nice homes and is a reasonable drive to beachside and most homes on Merritt Island are OLDER 1950s built and need a ton of upgrades like wiring and plumbing.

I'm not familiar with the Pensacola area aside from a brief 2 week visit to Destin, so can't comment.

Old 03-08-2023, 08:18 AM

11 posts, read 7,244 times
very different cultures and even weather

Old 03-08-2023, 03:04 PM

How so?

Old 03-09-2023, 05:15 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Pensacola gets far colder and more often than Brevard. We can have balmy winters where I rarely have to wear a sleeve. I remember years when I surfed all winter without ever putting on my wetsuit. Temps here close to the beach with the cool sea breeze can be 10 degrees cooler than inland during the hottest times of summer.

As far as dating goes for someone your age, there are a lot of young engineers, scientists and space workers here so I would think if educated is attractive you'll be happy. Bonus with Space Force airmen, PJs and pilots at Patrick.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:35 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
As a standalone if one can separate Pensacola's history and architecture from the region, it does make it more unique than Brevard's fairly boring options. Living in close proximity to downtown Pensacola would make it worthwhile in my opinion. Pensacola Beach is also one of the nicer beaches in the area. https://downtownpensacola.com/

Old 03-13-2023, 06:32 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a standalone if one can separate Pensacola's history and architecture from the region, it does make it more unique than Brevard's fairly boring options. Living in close proximity to downtown Pensacola would make it worthwhile in my opinion. Pensacola Beach is also one of the nicer beaches in the area. https://downtownpensacola.com/
Yes, that is what Pensacola is.....living up North; Brrr but with a beach . Brevard County is much warmer. It also has a lot more history even if the history is newer here....or is it? Where did Ponce de Leon really land? Also how many rockets were launched in Pensacola? Making space history is our thing. And how many world class surfers cut their eye teeth surfing in the gulf instead of the ocean off Brevard County? And lets not forget our port which was just named #1 in the world for cruising.

Proximity to everything Orlando offers and being within 3 hours of Miami, Jacksonville, and Tampa also makes it a more convenient place to live.

I have been here almost 50 years and have always said. "only boring people are bored in Brevard County". There is so much to do here.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:51 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Yes, that is what Pensacola is.....living up North; Brrr but with a beach . Brevard County is much warmer. It also has a lot more history even if the history is newer here....or is it? Where did Ponce de Leon really land? Also how many rockets were launched in Pensacola? Making space history is our thing. And how many world class surfers cut their eye teeth surfing in the gulf instead of the ocean off Brevard County? And lets not forget our port which was just named #1 in the world for cruising.

Proximity to everything Orlando offers and being within 3 hours of Miami, Jacksonville, and Tampa also makes it a more convenient place to live.

I have been here almost 50 years and have always said. "only boring people are bored in Brevard County". There is so much to do here.
The warmer factor is for around three to four months, while Pensacola actually appears to be enjoying a season or two. Pensacola is the oldest European settlement in the US (1698) and has so much to see as a result. Most could give a flip about rocket launches, seen one you've seen them all. World class surfers? *snore* Pensacola is 2.5 hours to New Orleans and a half day's drive from a 1/3 of the country. You can spend 1/2 a day just driving out of FL into GA. Convenience has two sides....

Old 03-13-2023, 07:31 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The warmer factor is for around three to four months, while Pensacola actually appears to be enjoying a season or two. Pensacola is the oldest European settlement in the US (1698) and has so much to see as a result. Most could give a flip about rocket launches, seen one you've seen them all. World class surfers? *snore* Pensacola is 2.5 hours to New Orleans and a half day's drive from a 1/3 of the country. You can spend 1/2 a day just driving out of FL into GA. Convenience has two sides....

History major here so will consider landings as important forerunners in settling any area.
https://www.brevardfl.gov/ParksAndRe...%20April%202nd.

But not here to argue -just give my opinion. And there is nothing true about see one rocket been there done that.
All launches are still experiments and anything can and does happen. They do not look the same, feel the same , or sound the same. 100,000s of thousands who flock here for launches seem to think they are pretty cool to see and locals step outside to catch a glimpse -even when at work to watch them fly even if they were here the early launches back in the 50s and 60s.

Some people could give a flip as you say about most cities or downtowns and would rather be out in nature boating, surfing, hiking, bike riding etc. My family and friends would go crazy even living down town Orlando. Just giving my OP so the OP gets more than one opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County