Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 07:26 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
History major here so will consider landings as important forerunners in settling any area.
https://www.brevardfl.gov/ParksAndRe...%20April%202nd.

But not here to argue -just give my opinion. And there is nothing true about see one rocket been there done that.
All launches are still experiments and anything can and does happen. They do not look the same, feel the same , or sound the same. 100,000s of thousands who flock here for launches seem to think they are pretty cool to see and locals step outside to catch a glimpse -even when at work to watch them fly even if they were here the early launches back in the 50s and 60s.

Some people could give a flip as you say about most cities or downtowns and would rather be out in nature boating, surfing, hiking, bike riding etc. My family and friends would go crazy even living down town Orlando. Just giving my OP so the OP gets more than one opinion.
Thank you for the history link Rabflmom. I never knew or remembered Ponce De Leon's historical travels.

To the OP, I can't say much about Pensecola as I have not spent anytime there other than passing through possibly in my younger years. The beauty of Florida is how varied it can be, no matter where you go. Different weather, water color, culture, and things to do. I have travelled through much of Florida and to me, that is the only way to really know if one place is better for you or not. We can give opinions here based on how we see it. But you need to go yourself and explore, stay for some time and see what that area offers.

Personally, we like Brevard and fell in love with it back when it was relatively inexpensive to be close to the water. We ended up in Merritt Island for the canals and waterfront we could afford and the people overall were quite nice. Yes areas do change and that is part of progress. Thankfully we do not have a train running through our backyard. We do get a boat idling down the canal now and then. We also get kyackers and paddle borders too. I love seeing and feeding the fish in my backyard. I am even raising oysters with my son as part of the Save our Shores program with the zoo. We do enjoy the rocket launches and going out to our backyard to watch. It does not get old at all. Yes you will find some unkept homes here and there as well as some extra vehicles on lawns on some streets. We are unincorporated in Merritt Island, rules are minimal, so you have to know that going in. The homes tend to be from the 1960's but many have been updated and those that haven't been, give you a clean slate to work with to make it your own for a lower initial cost. But overall, we have a nice mix of young and old, families starting out and retires, all in the same area. We like that and doing our due diligence with many visits and overnight stays, we chose this area.
Good luck with your research and visits as you explore both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 07:35 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a standalone if one can separate Pensacola's history and architecture from the region, it does make it more unique than Brevard's fairly boring options. Living in close proximity to downtown Pensacola would make it worthwhile in my opinion. Pensacola Beach is also one of the nicer beaches in the area. https://downtownpensacola.com/
In the past 5-10 years, Pensacola has finally figured out what to do with its ‘good bones’ downtown area. The Maritime Park/baseball stadium area is a pretty recent good addition. I’m very much a fan of minor league sports- a fun night out with generally reasonable ticket prices and the Wahoos and Ice Flyers and nice entertainment options.

Old 05-02-2023, 08:56 AM

482 posts, read 885,332 times
Pros and Cons; I'm not far outside Pensacola, but I have a friend in Brevard, and I love that area and would move there if I could. I try to get over that way once a year and will be there next month.

We on the Gulf Coast have superior beaches; no contest. We actually do get winters, as stated, which is a nice offset to the horrific swamp humidity. There seems to be more of a sea breeze from the Atlantic in Brevard. If you live anywhere A1A, you'll have that wonderful salt spray all over your car, so washing often is needed.

Pensacola has the unique historical culture and downtown, Ft. Pickens, etc. Jobs wouldn't be as great in Pensacola, I wouldn't think. Navy Federal is a huge employer in Pensacola, though. Seems like you have that covered for now. In Brevard you have KSC and the Orlando area. When looking there out of curiosity if I could move that way, other than NASA or tech industries that support them, I didn't see much else, so you may be even on that aspect.

Brevard seems to be more culturally diverse demographic wise. Locals may laugh at that, but in Pensacola it's either military transplants, low wage tourism and retail jobs, or very conservative. Housing is definitely more expensive in Brevard, especially with some really nice areas like Viera. Lots more retirees seem to be in Brevard from what I've observed.

I will say that downtown Pensacola has many festivals throughout the year; can't speak about that on Brevard. Which area did you like the best?

Old 01-16-2024, 04:42 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredBedBug View Post
Also curious about dating prospects in both areas. Not sure if it differs.
Scrolling through the forum titles and I came to halt right here.

"Brevard and Escambia Counties" are like Apples and Oranges. The best time to visit Pensacola would
be now! Christmas Season! The reason? If you feel moving to Florida for the sunny warm beaches and tempertures, then come in the winter. Stay in Pensacola for Christmas. I'm sure you find a vacation home for a few weeks - not in the hotel. If Florida winters do not affect you, then choosing your summer location is a lesser concern. I am not an expert by any means. I am just sharing my honest humble Sunshine opinion.

After I stayed in a rental home for three weeks, I can feel the difference between hotels to homes. If you can, spend a few dollars more for a house rental - all you bring is food and your suitcase. Dogs are allowed, and yes - rules apply. After you spend a few days or weeks in Pensacola in the winter, or Brevard during the summer - your decision will be made. I'm sure of it. It's like renting the exact car model from Hertz before you purchase.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Scrolling through the forum titles and I came to halt right here.

"Brevard and Escambia Counties" are like Apples and Oranges. The best time to visit Pensacola would
be now! Christmas Season! The reason? If you feel moving to Florida for the sunny warm beaches and tempertures, then come in the winter. Stay in Pensacola for Christmas. I'm sure you find a vacation home for a few weeks - not in the hotel. If Florida winters do not affect you, then choosing your summer location is a lesser concern. I am not an expert by any means. I am just sharing my honest humble Sunshine opinion.

After I stayed in a rental home for three weeks, I can feel the difference between hotels to homes. If you can, spend a few dollars more for a house rental - all you bring is food and your suitcase. Dogs are allowed, and yes - rules apply. After you spend a few days or weeks in Pensacola in the winter, or Brevard during the summer - your decision will be made. I'm sure of it. It's like renting the exact car model from Hertz before you purchase.
Great Advice 2goldens. This can be applied to any location you plan to move to. Hotels are not a great way to experience real life in any location. If you are able to, several weeks stay would do well for anyone looking to move. But I would check both areas multiple times a year would give you a true feel. Summers are hot in Brevard, but you get used to it after a couple of years. Winter in Brevard are cooler than you think as well and that feeling also changes after two years. When we first moved from NY, walking around in a t-short and shorts when it was in the 60's outside was common. Now, its usually long sleeves and pants. The higher humidity and breeze goes through you with a cold feeling that is not like up north. I can still walk around without a jacket in 40 degree weather in NY. I would not do the same in Florida. Humidity is the reason.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:11 PM

17 posts, read 13,499 times
Pensacola is the south, Brevard is not (culturally)

Old 02-18-2024, 06:45 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterorlandomiami1734 View Post
Pensacola is the south, Brevard is not (culturally)
I'm sorry? Please explain. Depending on where you are coming from - Pensacola would be straight down south, is this what you are referring to? Interstate I-75 South to Pensacola and Interstate I-95 South to Melbourne Beach.

Pensacola has Festivals, Main Street shops, a fantastic soft sand beach and so does Brevard County. The Atlantic beach is different from the Gulf. The weather is different too. I know of twice 1-2 inches of snow but by the time snow hit the ground, it melted. This was just a whole week maybe, that's all.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:56 AM

17 posts, read 13,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
I'm sorry? Please explain. Depending on where you are coming from - Pensacola would be straight down south, is this what you are referring to? Interstate I-75 South to Pensacola and Interstate I-95 South to Melbourne Beach.

Pensacola has Festivals, Main Street shops, a fantastic soft sand beach and so does Brevard County. The Atlantic beach is different from the Gulf. The weather is different too. I know of twice 1-2 inches of snow but by the time snow hit the ground, it melted. This was just a whole week maybe, that's all.
I mean in the cultural sense, Pensacola has many cultural characteristics that are in line with other deep south states such as bordering Georgia and Alabama, while in Brevard you will see many NY/NJ transplants and hardly anyone speaking in a southern accent, for example. Brevard is more culturally aligned with South Florida than the deep south, which despite their close proximity, are very different cultures with different influences.

Old 02-20-2024, 08:31 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterorlandomiami1734 View Post
I mean in the cultural sense, Pensacola has many cultural characteristics that are in line with other deep south states such as bordering Georgia and Alabama, while in Brevard you will see many NY/NJ transplants and hardly anyone speaking in a southern accent, for example. Brevard is more culturally aligned with South Florida than the deep south, which despite their close proximity, are very different cultures with different influences.
Pensacola is both a military town and a popular retirement destination and is full of people from all over. While I wouldn't call it "rare" to hear people speaking with distinctively southern drawls, it's by no means ubiquitous.

Both Pensacola and Brevard County are quintessentially *Florida* and have much more in common with each other than they do with any outside state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County