Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,861 times

Advertisements

My son is driving alone later this monthto Longmont,Colo., vehicle is a Montana Van, I've done the gas calculations from a AAA site and I know it must be low since they don't take in consideration the altitude, etc..., can anyone give me some advice I can pass along to my just 21 year old son who is moving there? Best route, gas saving tips, extra gas for the uphill haul, things like that? appreciate all you can give me, maggiemom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM

530 posts, read 2,625,472 times
I70 should be a straight shot from MO. When you get close to Denver, I would take C470 North towards Boulder and Ft Collins (parts are toll). Take the exit for I25 North and then exit at the Longmont exit, I believe it's hwy. 119 West. If he needs to stop and spend the night, Hays,KS is a nice town not too far out. There isn't too much between Hays and Denver. My family and I moved from Louisiana and we stopped in Hays during our move 2 yrs ago. There aren't as many steep grades as you might think approaching Denver. I would just try to stay close to the speed limit to max gas. The roads are all well maintained and there are several courtesy patrols to help stranded motorists. He shouldn't have a problem.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Usual stuff: check that the vehicle is in good shape, tires are at the right pressure and properly aligned, all necessary filters inspected and replaced where necessary and so on. Recent surveys seem to show that having good tires and a clean car will actually save on the mileage. And it's quite a gentle rise in altitude. Most of Eastern Colorado is flat like Kansas so he probably won't notice any drastic changes.

There are 2 Longmont exits, depending on whether he's heading for the south or north side of town. Hwy 119 is the southern exit; Hwy 66 is the northern one. Hwy 119 does right into the centre of town though, crossing Main St.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM

anyplace I can find out how much tolls are?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
I think they mean E-470, not C-470. From the I-70 to northbound E-470, you probably only have about two booths left to get you to Northbound I-25. It could be three by now. If it's two, that's about $1.75 x 2 = $3.50 or $1.75 x 3 or $5.25.

As far as altitude, it's sort of a steady climb and one I'd consider somewhat insignificant. I'd say that Kansas City has an altitude of about 700 ft above sea level. The western portion of Kansas is at about 3000 ft. By the time you get into the Front Range of Colorado you're at about 5000 to maybe 5500, so it's a steady and minor ascent. You may experience slightly less MPG at this altitude, but with newly fuel-injected vehicles, it wont be that much difference, depending on the octane. If he's been buying 87 out there, it becomes 85 out here. I saw gas as low as 3.99 out in Lamar Colorado yesterday for the cheap stuff. It would be about $4.09 for the mid-grade. The funny thing about octane is that you'll see 87, 89, and 91 in the extremely lower altitudes in eastern Colorado, but only 85, 87, and 89 in the higher altitudes of Colorado.

Click here [edit: I can't seem to get the page I wanted here. Go here and hit the "Get Directions" button, then put your location in the start and your destination in the end] for the google maps suggested route. If he goes that way, I'd say leave very early in the morning and try to do it in one shot because it's 11.5 to 12 hours and where would he stay if he couldn't make it the whole way? Eastern Colorado? I don't think so. Western Kansas? Unless he had family in Colby, I don't think so.

Just have him start early and get out and walk around once in a while and no need to speed. I know the State Troopers in Colorado are tough. Also, when he goes through a small town, the speed may drop to like 35 mph. 35 means 35, especially in these eastern Colorado towns. If he's on I-70, it may not be a problem because those small towns have frontage roads.

Oh, he MUST bring his tunes with him!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM

thank you all, so helpful! PS Tunes were number 1 on the list I'm sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area