Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 AM

52 posts, read 67,543 times

Advertisements

Is this a good place to live? Is it safe? I am a bachelor and have a large breed dog and looking for a nice neighborhood/townhome/condo with a small amount of outside space.

I love the idea of being able to park my car and able to walk to a shopping center, or bar/restaurant.

Are there good outdoor spaces/trails/water nearby? Is it noisy?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Do you mean North Boulder? If so, the answers to your questions are: yes, yes, yes, not too bad.

While CU students live all over town, they tend to concentrate near campus.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbert View Post
Is this a good place to live? Is it safe? I am a bachelor and have a large breed dog and looking for a nice neighborhood/townhome/condo with a small amount of outside space.

I love the idea of being able to park my car and able to walk to a shopping center, or bar/restaurant.

Are there good outdoor spaces/trails/water nearby? Is it noisy?

Any help is appreciated.
Yes to the bar/restaurant; no to the shopping center. You will have to drive or get the bus.

Definitely lots of open space & trails close by. I've no idea about the noise level at night but it seems pretty quiet during the day.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM

352 posts, read 797,478 times
If the OP chose to live in the vicinity of the (original) Boulder Community Hospital (Broadway is the main north/south traffic corridor; cross streets are named after trees in alphabetical order -- Alpine, Balsam, Cedar, Dellwood, Evergreen, Forest, etc...)he could walk to the Whole Foods/Ideal Market and Pharmaca, to several restaurants/bars, to Breadworks, laundromat, and all the shops in the two shopping centers at North/Alpine and Broadway. As well, he could walk to North Boulder Park with his pooch, and could easily get to trails. Water might be a bit more challenging - unless the North Boulder Rec Center indoor pool counts.

It would also be an easy walk down to Pearl Street and all that it has to offer. Bike trails along the creek, behind the Rec Center, are accessible, too, and take you by the wonderful Community Garden.

Being right on Broadway (or even a block and a half away) can be noisy, and 9th and 19th get a fair amount of traffic, but you can definitely go carless or close to it in that vicinity. Lots of nice neighborhoods -- from 3rd on the West to 19th on the east; starting anywhere north of, say, Alpine or North, and all the way up past Iris. When you get up toward Orchard, Oak, Poplar, Redwood, etc., Lucky's Market is a good shoppng destination and DaGabi Cucina a great local Italian bar/restaurant.

The Uptown North Boulder above Violet has a different flavor to it. Housing is denser, more of a planned "urban" feel, though still convenient to the Broadway bus system and again, very close to trails, community garden, and minutes from getting out of town and heading to Boulder Reservoir.

I lived in/around North Boulder for about 13 years, and always loved the walkability and convenience of the Newlands area. Was carless for part of that time, and even with two small children, was able to get around just fine walking, bussing, biking.

I never could get excited about South Boulder, though there are plenty of people who wouldn't trade South for North at any price! Ultimately, it all boils down to personal preference; both areas have much to offer for families as well as singles.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinedivine View Post
If the OP chose to live in the vicinity of the (original) Boulder Community Hospital (Broadway is the main north/south traffic corridor; cross streets are named after trees in alphabetical order -- Alpine, Balsam, Cedar, Dellwood, Evergreen, Forest, etc...)he could walk to the Whole Foods/Ideal Market and Pharmaca, to several restaurants/bars, to Breadworks, laundromat, and all the shops in the two shopping centers at North/Alpine and Broadway. As well, he could walk to North Boulder Park with his pooch, and could easily get to trails. Water might be a bit more challenging - unless the North Boulder Rec Center indoor pool counts.
Ah. I always equate NoBo with anything north of Violet.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Ah. I always equate NoBo with anything north of Violet.
I always equate NoBo with real estate advertisements. I've never heard the term spoken by anyone who lives here.

I understand the frequently used name North Boulder pretty much the same way bovine does, but haven't thought of "NoBo" as the same as "North Boulder," whatever the creators of trendy monikers want us to think.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:59 PM

39 posts, read 67,677 times
Default I live NOBO

I live Uptown Broadway above Violet. The Skip bus runs real often all day long till about midnight and I timed the ride to Pearl on it once and it was 6 minutes and we stopped at nearly every stop along the way. I love North Boulder but do miss the lack of shopping. However it's just 2 miles to Safeways and other shopping on 30th and Iris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area