Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 37,307 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering buying a little bit of land in the area. Most of the places we have been looking at in our price range have small houses or are houses that need to be torn down and built new. We were curious if anyone in the area has been doing something similar and what their costs are.

The "small" houses that would need additions are about 2-3 bedrooms with about 1500 sqft. We would ideally like to have about 2500 sqft with 4 bedrooms. Some are 2 story and some are 1 story...if a 1 story we would like to keep with 1 story, since we know adding a level is always a major cost.

The goal would be to eventually make the house our "dream" house and go all out on it, but for the time being it would just need to be a nice family house for our us and our kids.

Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 PM

4,563 posts, read 10,987,553 times
I think your best bet may be to speak with a couple of local contractors. When you say a "bit of land" - are you talking a place more out in the rural areas with a small house on it that you want to remodel, but has a lot of land?

Or a smaller house in a subdivision?

Things you may need to consider - if it's not in a city but in Boulder County - the county has very strict rules I think regarding construction in some areas. We have friends building a new house near the foothills and I believe it's been a bit of a nightmare getting things passed by Boulder County.

If you are looking in a subdivision, make sure there aren't HOA rules that would keep you from doing things such as adding an addition, etc.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 37,307 times
We're talking more out in the rural areas...almost more around Hygiene. When I say a little bit of land I mean about 1-5 acres.

Talking to contractors was next on the list...thanks!

Old 08-30-2010, 11:57 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,987,553 times
So you'll be Boulder County. Just make sure you talk to contractor who really know county permit issues, etc.

I love that area around Hygiene btw..... we don't live terribly far away. It's an area we'll consider once our son graduates high school as we don't want him to have to switch schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area