Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,203,695 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a fair number of mobile homes for sale in Boulder and environs on Craigslist.

I cannot afford a house or condo...but I could afford a 1 BR rental. But I'm too old to deal with noisy neighbors and thin walls (neighbors have told me I'm noisy, although I don't move within the unit much and I always shed my shoes upon entering). Not to mention lots of dumpy apts. out there...

If I can't qualify for a mortgage upon relocation, I could by a $20.000-$30,000 mobile home with what little cash I have. Don't tie up most of my money at once in a mobile home?

Some mobile homes are much nicer interiorly than any apt., for those who've seen some pics on Craigslist.

BUT, I'll always have a lot fee of $450-$500 monthly, and maybe much higher fees in 15-20 years, no? Plus, do these homes pay high property taxes? They certainly don't hold their value.

Heck, it's a chance to live in Boulder, despite the poor image many have of these places convey to prosperous people.

If one can't afford Boulder in tradional purchase or rental ways, don't bother fooling onesself or others? Just rent in a basic building in a basic town?

I'm single, so don't have to worry about kids not liking this lifestyle.

Some listings mentioned a screening process for prospective park tenants. That's as selective as apt. buildings.

Anybody know people living in mobile or manufactured housing?

A C-D search yielded little on this topic.

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,962,517 times
Your title asks, "crazy to buy one?" and my reaction would be yes. Tying up all your money in a mobile home seems crazy. The mobile home parks I've driven by in Boulder, from the outside, look like dumps. I would never be that desperate to live IN Boulder. Sorry. Just my opinion of course.

And lot fees that high seem ridiculous.

I'm assuming you will be relocating - not here yet. Do you already have a job lined up? Even if you did, I still would tie up all my money.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,967,802 times
I know wannabe Boulderites who live in Longmont because of Boulder's cost.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I know wannabe Boulderites who live in Longmont because of Boulder's cost.
I think there's a lot of wannabe Boulderites living in Longmont, Lafayette, Louisville, Broomfield because of Boulder's cost !

There are so many places outside of Boulder, guess I don't get the need of so many to want to be in Boulder so badly that they will spend so much to live there. I guess I just don't understand the draw.

Many moons ago (okay, like 20), the first place my husband and I bought was a mobile home in East Texas. It was of the permanent sort, with decks, etc. The main reason we got it was because of the land - over an acre. It was beautiful and we planned to build our house on the back part up on the hill. Well, that never happened because he got a job offer in Dallas.

So I don't have anything against mobile homes really, (I do remember horrible utility bills....), but to BUY one and have it sitting in a mobile park....seems like the worst investment ever. Again, just my opinion.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,127,763 times
It depends on which mobile home park it is. Some look like "dumps" but there are a couple of nice ones, Boulder Meadows is probably the nicest IMO.
I knew someone who lived in Boulder Meadows for 20 years before she married and moved to Niwot. She loved it there.
I found this article which may be helpful Boulder Mobile Home Parks: Affordable Oasis or Mirage? - Boulder Magazine Feature Article

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
It depends on which mobile home park it is. Some look like "dumps" but there are a couple of nice ones, Boulder Meadows is probably the nicest IMO.
I knew someone who lived in Boulder Meadows for 20 years before she married and moved to Niwot. She loved it there.
I found this article which may be helpful Boulder Mobile Home Parks: Affordable Oasis or Mirage? - Boulder Magazine Feature Article
Good article! Really informative. I stand corrected on some of my views of the mobile home parks in Boulder.

There is one in Longmont that we drive by all the time that I always thought would be good for my husband's parents if they moved up here:

Longview in Longmont, CO

It's on a small lake, looks like it has a gym, pool, etc.

I guess the key is to really do some research and check out the community, etc. As with anything, there is the good and the bad.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,967,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I think there's a lot of wannabe Boulderites living in Longmont, Lafayette, Louisville, Broomfield because of Boulder's cost !

There are so many places outside of Boulder, guess I don't get the need of so many to want to be in Boulder so badly that they will spend so much to live there. I guess I just don't understand the draw.
Yeah, me either. The whole, "I'll pay $_________ (anything) just to live in Boulder, PLEASE!!!!! It HAS to be BOULDER. City proper." But as they say, you can't put a price on status.

I don't have a problem with people that can afford it comfortably though. It's their choice.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
There are a lot of people living in these cities because they want to live there, as well.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are a lot of people living in these cities because they want to live there, as well.
Oh I know - we're one of them. I'm not saying at all that everyone who lives in out lying towns does it because they want to be in Boulder but just can't afford it. In fact, we personally don't really know anyone who just wishes they could be in Boulder but just can't afford it. It's usually the, "love visiting, occasionally going out to eat, but wouldn't want to live there" sort of thing.

The few people we know who do live in Boulder proper have lived there for ages. Got homes back when the prices aren't what they are now.

Boulder definitely has a vibe that I think attracts many who go there on vacation. I personally love where we are in Longmont and wouldn't give it up to be in Boulder, but that's just me.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
I agree.

When we moved to Louisville, Boulder was not even a consideration for us. We liked Louisville's small town environment. It really was a small town then; ~ 5000 people. We had been living in Denver and didn't really know anything about Boulder. The same could probably be said for many people moving to Boulder County from out of state. I know a number of people who live in Boulder. They like it. We like Louisville. It's a kind of "grow where you are planted thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area