Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:35 PM

660 posts, read 1,541,137 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility that I might be able to transfer in my job to the Chicopee, MA area. What do you all think of this area? It's not too far a drive (1 hour) from where my son is (Pittsfield) with his mother.

Currently I do not have a vehicle as I rely on the MBTA system in Boston, so I would probably have to get one before I move out that way. Is there a transit system in place in Chicopee? I imagine that Springfield has one, and it is the metropolitan area that Chicopee clings to, but that's Springfield.

I used to go to Springfield Technical Community College, what a WONDERFUL community college!

Just looking for input on that area. From the few pictures I've seen of Chicopee it seems to have that small town feel that I'm looking for. I was raised near a small town in Kentucky, big cities are not for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:15 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
It's not a bad area. Considering how you feel about Boston, I think you'll find it a breath of fresh air (quite literally). There are spots to avoid and I'm sure a local can give you specific locations. Not that Chicopee is terrible, but you may want to consider some of the surrounding towns like Wilbraham or Northampton which may be a bit more comfortable.

As far as public transit, there is some. the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) is one of the better regional transit networks in New England and does service Chicopee and many of the surrounding communities. PVTA works in cooperation with the 5 Colleges area in Northampton/Amherst to provide some really good coverage in that area. It's really a pretty decent system considering the relatively rural nature of that region. I would, however, suggest a car as it's not difficult to have one out there and can really make things easier.

In all, I'm willing to bet you'd be much happier out there. The lifestyle is a bit more laid back and you'll be closer to your son. To top it off, it's a bit cheaper. Despite some of the uncalled for negativity towards Western MA, it really is a nice area (sure, with some dark spots). I'd consider it if it's an option.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,100,582 times
well i don't know if i would consider Chicopee to be a small town,it is a decent sized small city of around 55-60,000 people.it borders Springfield to the north and has it's good parts and bad.I would feel comfortable living there,but you would most definitely need a car.the PVTA is severely lacking in reliability and route coverage.You could literally stand at a bus stop for an hour before the damn bus comes.But i do agree with Irfox,in the 5 college area the service is much better and more frequent,but those busses only serve that area and generally don't run down to the Springfield area.There has been a lot of "talk" about a new commuter rail from New Haven to Springfield Northampton area but so far Mass has not been too cooperative with the state of Connecticut on the project.(Wmass generally does not get funds from beacon hill for much of anything)

Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
The PVTA might or might not be an option, depending upon where your job's located, but your car-less days would be over. Commuting to work is one thing, food shopping + visiting friends/family + other errands + going out another. I concur that the system is best within Springfield and in the Five College area, elsewhere it's likely no better than the "T" buses outside the Boston/Cambridge core.
Chicopee definitely doesn't have a small-towny feel to it. There are some older - and perfectly decent - neighborhoods here and there, but a lot of the city got built up immediately post-WWII. Many streets are lined with tiny (by today's standards - or "cozy," if you prefer) ranch houses and Capes on postage-stamp lots. From drive-by impressions I'd say this could make for a great quality of life if there's a low transiency rate. But having people living within a few feet of you on as many as three sides could go either way.
For roomier surroundings, I'd advocate looking in Ware, Belchertown, or South Hadley. All three towns are close by and less densely populated. Remember also that Springfield doesn't cover all that much ground - even in heavy traffic you can be across the city on the Pike in a few minutes. And once you're past West Springfield the towns take on a slower and more expansive vibe again.
The other alternatives would be the "hill towns" north and west of the Northampton/Amherst cluster, or communities east of I-91 in Connecticut, but the down side would be having to make a longer drive into Chicopee.
Depending upon where in Kentucky the TO was from, some of the areas could feel much like home, whether they be in the flatter region east of the Connecticut River or in the foothills area west of it.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:12 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
You might like Easthampton for a town -- location and price and small town. Chicopee is a city.

(Wmass generally does not get funds from beacon hill for much of anything) Truer words were never spoken. They'll put trains in that go from Boston to NY and pass RIGHT BY SPRINGFIELD as if it doesn't even exist. It IS part of Massachusetts and it could use some help from the rest of the state now and then.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They'll put trains in that go from Boston to NY and pass RIGHT BY SPRINGFIELD as if it doesn't even exist.
Um, it's Amtrak (not built by the Commonwealth) that goes from Boston to NYC, and that train follows the coastline. It doesn't go anywhere near Springfield, so it couldn't very easily stop there. A train from Boston to Albany could stop in Springfield, but no such train exists.

Agree that Western Mass. could use some help, though.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Um, it's Amtrak (not built by the Commonwealth) that goes from Boston to NYC, and that train follows the coastline. It doesn't go anywhere near Springfield, so it couldn't very easily stop there. A train from Boston to Albany could stop in Springfield, but no such train exists.

Agree that Western Mass. could use some help, though.
Yes, a train DOES exist; it's called the "Lake Shore Limited" and it stops just outside of Springfield, on its way to Chicago..

Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks for all the great, GREAT responses! Where I am from in Kentucky, there are "hills" for sure What I really enjoy is living in the country or in a small town, but having access to excitement in a bigger town/city within 15-20 minutes commute. Sometimes I really enjoy being where I can hear the wildlife, other times I just have to be in the "middle of all the action".

Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM

Something that I do want to do is go back to college (or university) and earn a computer science degree or business management degree, or both. I do think I would be really good working with numbers, and I've always loved being around technology (video games, PC's). There are some nice schools in that area.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM

227 posts, read 608,354 times
Kindof off the subject, but speaking as someone who's already in the computer industry.... education only goes so far. Experience speaks much louder than a piece of paper when it comes to getting a tech job. I have a friend who's spent a fortune getting his comp sci, and then his mba. He still hasn't found a permanent job and it's been over a year since he graduated. Whereas my husband, who has his GED and a few semesters of unfinished college, but over 10 years of hands on experience with everything from personal PC's to IBM Mainframes and tape libraries, was recently headhunted away from one well paying job and into another even better one by an old boss.

Tech has become almost a trade. You can only learn so much in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston