Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM

12,930 posts, read 22,104,360 times

Advertisements

Any word? I hope it went well. I'm glad you like it out there. For all the quibbling back and forth people do about what they like/don't like about their particular town, perception is really the reality. If you feel like it's a town you'll like you'll most likely enjoy it (regardless of what people say about it). Personally, I don't think Chicopee is bad either. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:00 PM

660 posts, read 1,542,506 times
I talked to the GM of the store today and she said they want me there, she just has to get with the marketing director on how to make the transfer a reality, as she has never done a transfer before. I'm thinking that it CAN'T be that difficult to make happen, but then again I'm not a GM or marketing manager. She asked me, again, today "have you found a place out here?" and my answer was the same......"I don't believe in shopping without money". I told her that I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. She then said "don't worry, we're going to get you here", but I will wait until I know it's been solidified before I do anything. In the past I would do SO many things on the whim, and without ration, but no more. I went through a lot in the past year and a half that helped me, however painful it has been, change for the better. I am literally a completely different person than I was 18 months ago. As soon as she gives me the go-ahead I will start searching online and see if I can find a room for rent on a weekly basis until I can afford to come up with a security deposit and 2nd month's rent.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 AM

I will most likely be starting work next week in Chicopee, and I am WORRIED (greatly) that I have not been able to find a place to stay there. All of the apartment listings I've seen on the internet are asking for $700-900 for a 2BR......first, last AND security deposit. I just do not have that kind of money, on such short notice of my transfer.

Anyone got any leads? I really do not want to fall into the trap of "renting a room" when I am trying to do everything I can get to show that I can provide my son suitable living arrangements (he lives with his mother full-time, she and I are divorcing).

I'm a really quiet tenant, probably "creepy quiet" LOL, since I do not like to impose on others and I like my personal space.

If I have to rent a room (not a good trap to fall into), I will, ANYTHING to get out of this zoo called Boston

Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 AM

18,738 posts, read 33,449,880 times
Why not a room by the week for a very short period of time while you look for something that really suits you? Surely the situation with your son should be OK if it's very short-term (although I have heard horror stories from guys in divorces in this state, I think they've mostly been about money).

Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 PM

289 posts, read 1,273,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdaddy052606 View Post
I will most likely be starting work next week in Chicopee, and I am WORRIED (greatly) that I have not been able to find a place to stay there. All of the apartment listings I've seen on the internet are asking for $700-900 for a 2BR......first, last AND security deposit. I just do not have that kind of money, on such short notice of my transfer.

Anyone got any leads? I really do not want to fall into the trap of "renting a room" when I am trying to do everything I can get to show that I can provide my son suitable living arrangements (he lives with his mother full-time, she and I are divorcing).

I'm a really quiet tenant, probably "creepy quiet" LOL, since I do not like to impose on others and I like my personal space.

If I have to rent a room (not a good trap to fall into), I will, ANYTHING to get out of this zoo called Boston
My advice is to talk to the owners of the apartments directly. I've run into this problem in the past too. Just explain to them your situation. Sometimes landlords are willing to negotiate on the deposit and/or last month's rent and let you spread the payment out over a few months. It is a lot of money to come up with up front and many understand that.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:51 PM

10,046 posts, read 15,712,871 times
You'll get more leads on apartments when you are physically in the area. Renting a room is probably the best way to proceed short term, though.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 AM

my employer is trying to help me out with the moving costs, so i HOPE they are able to assist me. if so, i should be okay, though it's going to be one of those situations where i look at pics on the Internet, talk to someone on the phone and say "please have the key ready for me, i'll be arriving by PVTA today with payment in hand" not the best of situations, for sure, but it's GOT to be better than what i have right now. i'd rent a cardboard box in Chicopee before i'd take a mansion for free in boston, lol.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,316,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdaddy052606 View Post
i'd rent a cardboard box in Chicopee before i'd take a mansion for free in boston, lol.
The first time in recorded history this sentence has appeared.

Most people would, and do, take a cardboard box in Boston before a mansion free in Chicopee!

Good luck getting away from the big city blues.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:14 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,209,024 times
Westernmass.craigslist.org has a listing for furnished short-term studios in Chicopee. Not fancy, but $635 or, and only $400 security. I notice it's appeared several times recently.

Not sure if you'll have a car upon arriving, or if it's convenient w/o a car. I know you mentioned a 2BR, but this may suffice short-term?

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM

The problem with paying that kind of money short term is that I would need to basically pay that AND try to save for something for a BR.

On top of that is the fact that I am trying to establish some sort of physical custody of my son, and added instability of moving from place to place would not look good.

My employer is helping me out with the costs (they confirmed it today). I had already committed over the phone today to a 3BR $750 deal, which in hindsight wasn't very smart, but I needed SOMETHING. I have since followed up on more reasonable deals like 1BR's for $500.

I had been under the impression that in order for me to have some sort of physical custody of my son he would have to have his own bedroom, but my attorney wrote to me today and said that a 1BR is fine, I could just sleep on the couch.

Bottom line is that one way or another I will be living in the Chicopee area on either next Monday or Tuesday, no later than Tuesday (I'm slated to work that night). Man, I LOVE pressure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston