Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM

171 posts, read 308,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
I have no clue about why there are no other lines at South Station. That said, all Amtrak trains approaching South Station stop at Back Bay first. From there, the transfer to the orange line is quite simple.
The lack of a Green Line connection is my annoyance. I know I shouldn't be complaining, because I live in Providence which has a mediocre transit system compared to Boston's car free paradise (exaggerating a bit). However, so many of the attractions I visit in Boston are served by the Green Line and it would be nice not to have to transfer at Park Street or walk to Copley Station from Back Bay station, hence my curiosity as to why the builders of South Station did not think to incorporate this connection. I suppose building the station on Atlantic Avenue vs closer to Tremont Street had something to do with it.

Last edited by HopeStreet; 01-22-2015 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,653,607 times
South Station is old and predates the Green line.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeStreet View Post
Does anyone have any knowledge regarding why South Station is only served by one heavy rail line? Was there something that prevented more rapid rail connections when it was built? Just seems odd that the busiest rail station in Boston does not have more connecting subway service (not including the Silver Line). Even North Station has Orange and Green line service.
Not all that different from DC's Union Station which is served by a single heavy rail line (coincidentally, also the Red Line). I don't think it's all that unusual. The next two Red Lime stations (Downtown Crossing and Park Street) offer connections to the Orange and Green Lines. Not exactly inconvenient as far as connections go.

My issue with Boston's connectivity is the lack of a direct North/South Station connection and the lack of a Red Blue line connection.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeStreet View Post
The lack of a Green Line connection is my annoyance. I know I shouldn't be complaining, because I live in Providence which has a mediocre transit system compared to Boston's car free paradise (exaggerating a bit). However, so many of the attractions I visit in Boston are served by the Green Line and it would be nice not to have to transfer at Park Street or walk to Copley Station from Back Bay station, hence my curiosity as to why the builders of South Station did not think to incorporate this connection. I suppose building the station on Atlantic Avenue vs closer to Tremont Street had something to do with it.
Providence stops at Back Bay first, so you actually have the option of the orange, silver or red line from either Back Bay or South Station. Also the green line is like a 3 minute walk if you get off at Back Bay. I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Even a major terminal can't accommodate every single line, it's impossible unless the city transit was master planned as spokes. If South Station had the green line then someone will complain that it doesn't have the blue line. It will always be convenient for some people who happen to have a direct connection, whereas others will need to make a transfer depending on where they're going. It's the same in pretty much every city served by public transportation, even NYC.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 AM

719 posts, read 987,048 times
Jeez, who necro'd this?

I wonder if the OP wound up getting off at the 128 station and taking a taxi...

Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
Jeez, who necro'd this?

I wonder if the OP wound up getting off at the 128 station and taking a taxi...
You can ask him. There's probably only one Dr. Sunil Chauhan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston