Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 18,392 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Boston in Aug 2013.
My work place is going to be near the south station.
I am looking for places to stay.

I have the following 3 criteria:
1. Should be on/near the T so that I dont have to drive. I can just take the T to work.
2. Should not be too far from the city because I am young and I want to enjoy the nightlife as much as I can.
3. I am looking for either a studio or 1b/1b with rent not exceeding 1400$ pm.

I have been suggested places like Cambridge, Somerville, Quincy.

What would you recommend? Any other places to look into?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 03:59 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,487,561 times
Anyplace on the red line but not Dorchester - too complicated for a newbie. All the southbound lines on the commuter rail end at south station too so take your pick. Cambridge and Somerville are fun if you're young. Somerville more affordable - scrappier - but still very safe. Quincy is quiet suburban more familyish. Or you could do walking distance in any direction - it's wonderful down there. That would be my choice. The North End would be a great place to start. You could walk to work through the Rose Kennedy Park or take a quick silver line. Life will never be better.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,659,759 times
Somerville or Cambridge if you can find anything in your range would be the most fun for a young professional. If you look at Quincy, look at Marina Bay first. I hear there are some decent clubs there. Savin Hill near UMass or South Boston could be other possibilities. You can check out many recent threads on these areas. Braintree and Ashmont, I believe are older singles and families, too far from the action.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM

2,950 posts, read 5,204,540 times
As mentioned, Marina Bay in Quincy. Newer rentals and condos, but pricey for Quincy, and further from stores, but nice to retreat home to. But, but lots of plane noise, like Southie.

Maybe Wollaston section of Quincy or North Quincy. They're close to services and shops. A mile from the city beach.

South End is within a 20-30 minute walk.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,996,222 times
Love the Davis Square area in Somerville...it's on the Red Line. In the opposite direction, listen to previous posters about Quincy.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 18,392 times
Everybody - I really appreciate all the feedback. I will start looking into these areas:
Cambridge, Somerville (Davis Square), Quincy (Marina Bay / Wollaston) , North End, Savin Hill

Btw, there is a studio available in Cleveland Park in the North End for 1350$ pm (utilities not included, washer/dryer shared, street resident parking). Nothing too fancy. Is this what I should be expecting as far as the rent is concerned? Worth it?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,659,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhartiya View Post

Btw, there is a studio available in Cleveland Park in the North End for 1350$ pm (utilities not included, washer/dryer shared, street resident parking). Nothing too fancy. Is this what I should be expecting as far as the rent is concerned? Worth it?
If it's clean and you like the North End best, I say scoop it up.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 AM

2,386 posts, read 1,866,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
If it's clean and you like the North End best, I say scoop it up.
agreed. at the end of the day (rent+ utilities), $1500 a month is about what it takes to live comfortably by yourself in the nice downtown neighborhoods. North End, beacon hill, the fort point waterfront, back bay, and the south end all fall into this catagory

Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,487,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhartiya View Post
Everybody - I really appreciate all the feedback. I will start looking into these areas:
Cambridge, Somerville (Davis Square), Quincy (Marina Bay / Wollaston) , North End, Savin Hill

Yes. Nice place to start. I wish I was at Pizzeria Regina right now!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston