Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2022, 09:53 AM

6,147 posts, read 5,121,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not sure how someone who is given section 8 and living in a place most people pay a LOT to live in should have much to complain about. If you dont like Boston go somewhere else. It sounds like you have a pretty deal in life in that you have section 8 and are studying at BU. Given that you're middle aged I guess you have some time to get a career but it will be harder for you to break into at your age.
Agree, if one is in that situation, and not in a field where Boston is specialized or unique, one can enjoy a much higher standard of living in a decent-sized Midwestern city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 10:13 AM

16,480 posts, read 8,281,655 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree, if one is in that situation, and not in a field where Boston is specialized or unique, one can enjoy a much higher standard of living in a decent-sized Midwestern city.
And while working on a degree from BU...not sure if it's a degree or a certificate but again i'm guessing he's not paying the 60k a year tuition.

I guess people often want something different than what they have in life even if what they have is good.Apparently what the OP has isn't good enough for him

Old 06-29-2022, 11:57 AM

919 posts, read 566,425 times
Sounds like your complaint was that block of West Newton was atypical for that neighborhood of Boston. If you had lived on Appleton Street, would you have been as tired of Boston?

Malden has a number of things going for it after decades of decline. It faced a make-or-break in the mid-1990s when gangs started to dominate certain areas and it looked like Malden might go the way of Lynn; Malden bravely did what Boston refused to do in the 1970s and rebuilt many of its schools in new places that scrambled old school-'hood connections. That investment in its schools may have played a factor in attracting working class east Asians, along with the presence of Mystic Valley Regional Charter School.

Old 06-29-2022, 01:11 PM

531 posts, read 427,573 times
I'm not sure if your section 8 status is a result of the financial situation you're in due to your chosen profession, but both of my parents worked in human services as well and neither got a dime of help from the state. They took their crappy paychecks and did the best they could.

If your section 8 is for a different reason, apologies for being misinformed.

Old 06-29-2022, 02:28 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,888,248 times
Sounds like your having a Mid Life Crises, lots of folks get it . Suck it up and move on with your life.
Where were you living before Boston ? Had to be worse than Bean Town .or you would have gone back ?

Old 06-29-2022, 03:31 PM

109 posts, read 99,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Ummm, you got to live in one of the most expensive parts of Boston mostly on taxpayer dime and you’re whining about Boston not caring about the poor? What do you want, a free One Dalton penthouse?
First, I’m not sure how much history of the South End you know, but the poor have been living on West Newton Street since the 1960s when the South End was neglected by the city and was full of slumlords. That was before the neighborhood gentrified and became unaffordable, so I don’t have to thank limousine liberals for that. If you need a history refresh, let me know, and I can connect you with long-time residents who will describe it better. Second, I’m not complaining about my apartment, so save your ignorant Dalton penthouse comment.

Last edited by diegomar2007; 06-29-2022 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 06:36 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,781,225 times
The affordable, economically balanced South End we'd all like to return to. (Not!)

http://archive.boston.com/blogs/your.../South-End.jpg

Old 06-30-2022, 07:03 AM

12,176 posts, read 8,052,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
First, I’m not sure how much history of the South End you know, but the poor have been living on West Newton Street since the 1960s when the South End was neglected by the city and was full of slumlords. That was before the neighborhood gentrified and became unaffordable, so I don’t have to thank limousine liberals for that. If you need a history refresh, let me know, and I can connect you with long-time residents who will describe it better. Second, I’m not complaining about my apartment, so save your ignorant Dalton penthouse comment.
Again... i think you just need a reality check.

Boston is a city. Cities are very expensive. Cities like Boston, NYC, DC, SF and Chicago are fast paced because they make the country (and world...) turn. People are educated there. People have $$$. Demand is high.

Honest suggestion... why don't you look into Providence? Its 40-50% less expensive, the jobs in your field pay relatively the same, the LGBT scene is light years better, more prevalent hispanic/latino population, and even closer to cool beaches like Newport/Cape Cod/Westerly and stuff.

Trust me, if Boston was the way it was in 2012, it would not be as great as it is today.

Again, my partner and I make ~120k (While getting our Master's, we are mid 20s in age) and live in Northern NJ.... pretty far out from Manhattan. Anything closer is easily 2k+ for rent on a 700+ sqft place. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Midt...549309!1m0!3e0

Old 06-30-2022, 07:09 AM

12,519 posts, read 9,606,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The affordable, economically balanced South End we'd all like to return to. (Not!)

http://archive.boston.com/blogs/your.../South-End.jpg
I remember reading an article in the Globe - it was a while ago, but I don't know that things are any different now - the police were having a lot of difficulty actually enforcing the law in Dorchester, and one big reason is that serious crimes would take place, on the street, in broad daylight, but then when the police would come, often there were "no witnesses". The reason was that if someone did come forward and was going to testify, there was a good chance that they'd be seriously assaulted or killed by the perps - who were often their neighbors, for cooperating. But the result of course, was the police couldn't put the bad guys in jail, and the neighborhood thugs could act with impunity. I believe they sometimes use witness protection programs, but (a) you still need to identify the potential witnesses, and somehow convince them to cooperate and (b) these programs aren't cheap.

A lot of these problems, in my opinion, are very complex - many underlying causes, and many factors hampering potential solutions. I am not saying that police and city officials shouldn't be trying to do better, but that can be easier said than done.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:10 AM

17,360 posts, read 22,108,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
so subsidized housing and a BU scholarship aren't enough? Your 45, not 25! When are you going to start working and repay society, make a change for the neighborhood you are so passionate about?

How is your life going to change in another city if you are stuck at a low income level? If Boston poverty sucks, will Chicago or Miami be better?

Odd post.......You are quoting the poverty levels of a neighborhood from before you were even born.
If you new all that why live there to begin with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston