Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 12:47 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Minneapolis has a decent history of radical anarchist movements going back for decades. Not on the same level as places like Portland/ Berkley, CA but it was more of a low key element to the city but still present.

They held the 2nd haymarket remembered festival in 1987 in Minneapolis (first was in Chicago)

Same year the Revolutionary Anarchist Bowling League (RABL) was founded in Minneapolis.

80s era photo of the bookstore where they were founded. believe the name comes from an incident where a bowling ball was thrown through the window of an army recruitment center

Anarchist zines were around in Minneapolis since the 70s

The Baldies, which started I believe as a non politically-oriented skinhead gang in Minneapolis way back in the 1950s eventually to transition into an anti-racism action group, that still operated somewhat like a gang but has a progressive agenda. My understanding is they basically fought other skinheads who they considered racist throughout the 80s and spread to be a national movement
Is this unique?

Philadelphia MOVE
New Haven Black Panther Party
Boston Combahee River Collective and the Mandela secession movement
Many movement in NYC/DC

Don’t most major cities have radical groups in their history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 12:50 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Can't solve them murders when no one ain't seen sh*t, homie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Remember there was Philando Castile and then there have been a few other high profile incidents as well. 35 people, 23 black killed by MOD from 2000-2021. Minneapolis is also noted for being like Milwaukee Pittsburgh and Boston in that they have large sections of black inner city and huge economic disparities in Heavily white metros. It’s my observation that places like that have to overcompensate to neutralize those (valid) complaints.

Remember, it’s Mass. where the SJC ruled black men can legally flee the police with no legal repercussions due to fear of their life. It is also Boston that (as far as we know) tops all cities in % of unsolved non fatal shootings. I don’t think this is a coincidence.

Old 11-06-2021, 01:33 PM

5,096 posts, read 2,658,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ohhh, the narratives of the time of those movements viewed them very much as overprivelged elitist busybodies with too much time and not enough sense.

History looks at them differently. As it always does.
Unlike you, I'm not comparing them based on the nuances of how they may have been viewed but to the reality and substance of what they represent. Postmodernism and "Woke-ism" in many ways simply reinvents the very injustices people in history have fought to eradicate. They aren't comparable regardless of the comparisons of how they were, or were not, viewed. The goals of the people you cite involved moving beyond identity, postmodernists bring us back.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 11-06-2021 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2021, 04:11 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Postmodernism and "Woke-ism" in many ways simply reinvents the very injustices people in history have fought to eradicate. They aren't comparable regardless of the comparisons of how they were, or were not, viewed. The goals of the people you cite involved moving beyond identity, postmodernists bring us back.
I agree. Take an example of standardized testing. It was considered a pathway for people with limited means and without the network for good recommendations to distinguish themselves on their own merits. Now it's somehow racist. What are the alternatives? More subjective evaluations, letters and all the money you can buy for extracurriculars. Standardized testing lifted me from a failing school with limited course selections and constant bullying. My parents had no money for tutoring and no money for extracurriculars, but my dad did buy me an SAT prep book for $15.

If a test is racist or inequitable, the solution is to improve on the test and also make opportunities to prepare for the test more equitable. The solution is not to get rid of it completely and replace it with more subjectivity and more resume padding. Same with police defunding.

Progressivism is a misnomer.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:29 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Is this unique?

Philadelphia MOVE
New Haven Black Panther Party
Boston Combahee River Collective and the Mandela secession movement
Many movement in NYC/DC

Don’t most major cities have radical groups in their history?
I'm not sure if it's above average or average compared to other cities. I don't know the details overall that well that was just based on what I remember from watching some interviews about the history of anarchism in the US a couple years ago and being surprised how much Minneapolis came up.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:40 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ohhh, the narratives of the time of those movements viewed them very much as overprivelged elitist busybodies with too much time and not enough sense.

History looks at them differently. As it always does.
That's the benefit of history is we get to look back and see where political/cultural/social movements were justified and righteous. That doesn't make change inherantly good in any given situation, nor is it to say that nothing needs to be changed in modern society.

Conservative ideals have played just as important a role as progressive through history and to this day. We can't just write off either one and miss its value

Old 11-06-2021, 06:40 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
Ultimately no one really, maybe a few moderate to conservative blacks and Latinos? Still, the least most black Latino neighborhoods were 70-75% Wu on average. Seems she made minimal inroads tbh. From what I heard in my social circles and what I saw on FB….minorities legit didn’t know who she was and she’d never been around until very recently so it felt forced and transactional. More of her base came out and she got some black men who have first hand experience with crime. And socially conservative immigrants/1st Gen people.
I agree. A big chuck of the extra votes she received are people that didn't vote the first time, the ones that flipped are likely few people here and there but not a real trend.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:07 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
https://twitter.com/LiveBoston617/st...36282749087744 - wonder what our defundie in chief has to say about this…

Old 11-07-2021, 07:00 AM

337 posts, read 268,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
https://twitter.com/LiveBoston617/st...36282749087744 - wonder what our defundie in chief has to say about this…
That's awful. Also, I hope Wu considers selecting Janey's reported pick for Commissioner, Nora Baston. Sure BPD isn't perfect, but Boston has done great things with community policing and she has been very involved with that.

Last edited by Mayei; 11-07-2021 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 09:01 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,340,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
I understand you have your narrative to push but this has nothing to do with a mayor that was just elected a few days ago.
What about using the proper thread to discuss crime in Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston