Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 01:42 AM

7 posts, read 11,888 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a San Franciscan who will be moving to Boston during the coming summer. I currently know nothing about Boston and would like some information and assistance on how to survive. I need to learn the common courtesy, lifestyle, attitude, humor, how to get around, what to do and not to do, etc. I've heard that Bostonians view San Franciscans as obnoxious and ingenuine, and that Bostonians are rather cold but genuine people; so I need to learn how to be accepted rather quickly. I would also like to know how Bostonians generally view Asian minorites (as I am one myself). I really don't want to be an outcast.

Thank you to whoever provides a satisfactory if not excellent response to my question.

I don't like baseball
Park the car in Harvard Yard
YOU CAN'T HURT ME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:18 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,245,378 times
Welcome.

Too busy to care attitude is prevalent. Tons of Asians around, you will be hardly minority. You will make fast friends only if you luck out with roommates, or colleagues from work. Local population will not engage with newcomers at all, they are already too busy with more than enough friends and family. There are tons of people who came from all over the world, and need to make friends too, so not all is lost.

It is rat racy, fast paced, competitive area. Compared to other places in the US Boston can feel cold and disengaged.
Your attitude and expectations will make you or brake you here. If you care too much to make quick friends and "fit-in" fast, you might be setting yourself for disappointments. Boston is great to many who call it home, but it takes time to feel right at home.

Humor is dry, people are rather fast, and most think on their feet. In general people care about education, and being well off, so most work hard. We are very traditional in the way we live, and dress. Driving is tough, and it can be really dangerous out there with crazy stints on the streets never meant for so much traffic. It is surprisingly poorly signed place (for drivers and pedestrians alike), with very confusing layout and flow of traffic. It takes time to figure out how to move from A to B, especially if driving.

Some people will engage with stranger, some never. Most will help stranger with directions gladly, but will not engage more than necessary.

Weather is not helping things, since cold and dark days during the long winter, have impact and make for grumpy and somewhat skittish population. There is so much to do and see, and late spring/summer/fall are great times for exploration, so be out and about. In winter most just hibernate.

There is no magic formula. Just take it easy, and if it is right place for you to be, you will know soon enough. Do not be into anyone's face too much, or act too needy, and you will do fine.
Good luck.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:58 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,993,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blut0fu View Post
I need to learn the common courtesy, lifestyle, attitude, humor, how to get around, what to do and not to do, etc.
I think you'll pick it up as you go along, moreso than from a message board. George (above) hit most of the major points. People can be cold and distant and hard to engage, but the same is true almost anywhere. There's no "Boston stereotype of San Francisco" except among ignorant people. The two cities are actually very similar in a lot of ways, and I know many people from Boston (myself included) who love the city of San Francisco.

One thing to keep in mind is that like SF, Boston has people from all over the world, so even if some native Bostonians fall into certain general stereotypes, they're only going to account for a (no pun intended) minority of the people you meet and interact with.

Watch out for the drivers, whether you drive or not. Drivers are a lot more aggressive in Boston than SF, and (for example) that if you're crossing the street with a walk light, you shouldn't be surprised if a Boston driver tries to make a right-hand turn in front of you, that sort of thing. If you're driving, don't be surprised if drivers turn left in front of you when they don't have the right of way, etc.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:25 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,847,369 times
Quote:
Thank you to whoever provides a satisfactory if not excellent response to my question.
An attitude more along the lines of "Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond" will get you farther. Natives, and long-term transplants who've adapted (or who fit in to begin with), are quick to call out pretentious or entitled ways. Some call it blunt honesty - if not worse - but that's how we roll here. If you want fake nice you need to go down South, where the weather is far better too.

BART and Muni are arguably better mass transit systems, but our "T" that we love to hate is extensive and pretty good nonetheless. Thus far we've been largely spared the scourge of "Google buses," although some companies near T stations provide mini-bus shuttles to better clog traffic and spare their precious employees from interactions with everyday mortals. Along certain routes there are also buses that "share" regular stops but are only for the elite of Harvard who want to travel free of the 99% between campuses. Here as in San Francisco, car ownership is a liability in most city neighborhoods so many people happily do without. Zipcar and the "Hubway" bike rental operation do a brisk business. It helps that although we have notable topography in spots, there are many flat expanses unlike in the city by the bay.

Due to the area's being "the world's largest college town" and a relocation magnet, there should be no need for food nostalgia. "Ethnic" food stores (including the pan-Asian supermarket "H Mart") and restaurants abound.

Oh - and drop the "park the car" line. It stopped being even mildly amusing about 40,000 reiterations ago.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:15 PM

596 posts, read 983,738 times
Don't wear your religious and/or political views on your sleeve. I have lived in several parts of the country (including California) and more complete strangers than I care to remember have assumed that I share their beliefs. I have only lived in the Boston area just shy of 6 months, but I find it very refreshing that so far most of the people here are reserved and they don't get in your face with their personal views.

Old 11-29-2014, 05:13 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,807,059 times
Quote:
Hello, I am a San Franciscan who will be moving to Boston during the coming summer. I currently know nothing about Boston and would like some information and assistance on how to survive. I need to learn the common courtesy, lifestyle, attitude, humor, how to get around, what to do and not to do, etc. I've heard that Bostonians view San Franciscans as obnoxious and ingenuine, and that Bostonians are rather cold but genuine people; so I need to learn how to be accepted rather quickly. I would also like to know how Bostonians generally view Asian minorites (as I am one myself). I really don't want to be an outcast.

I don't like baseball
Park the car in Harvard Yard
YOU CAN'T HURT ME
I don't know who told you that, but I myself have zero issues with people from San Francisco and do not know anyone who takes a negative view towards them. One of my closet co-workers was born and raised in San Francisco, moved here for a job 4 years ago, and has never once said people singled her out because she's from San Francisco. If anything I would say telling people you're from San Francisco is a cool thing and hardly negative.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
An attitude more along the lines of "Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond" will get you farther.
Sorry, it's a habit of mine to be a bit stingy, I'll change it, thank you!
EDIT: Turns out I can't change it, consider it so.

Quote:
Oh - and drop the "park the car" line. It stopped being even mildly amusing about 40,000 reiterations ago.
I know

Last edited by blut0fu; 11-29-2014 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks everybody for the help! It's truly greatly appreciated. I understand that I need to adapt as I move along, but I just wanted to know what to expect so I don't look like a complete idiot in front of Bostonians.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:18 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,149,038 times
Quote:
An attitude more along the lines of "Thanks in advance to all who take the time to respond" will get you farther. Natives, and long-term transplants who've adapted (or who fit in to begin with), are quick to call out pretentious or entitled ways. Some call it blunt honesty - if not worse - but that's how we roll here. If you want fake nice you need to go down South, where the weather is far better too.
This.

Most natives will respond to niceties and general filler banter with extreme skepticism. Those natives who are better traveled might be willing to play along, but only briefly.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:39 PM

I started the thread at 1:42 AM. I attempted to re-word it in the manner that goyguy suggested but I couldn't from sheer exhaustion.

It really wasn't like me to type that. Sorry.

Last edited by blut0fu; 11-30-2014 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Changes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston