Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,591 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 and moving to Boston area ... I'll be working in Waltham ...What are good / cool areas for a young professional to live in with a reasonable reverse commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM

11,074 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston here I come View Post
I'm 23 and moving to Boston area ... I'll be working in Waltham ...What are good / cool areas for a young professional to live in with a reasonable reverse commute?
Maybe look at Cambridge/Somerville area by Porter Square. I've been looking at apartments around there, seems like a great area for young professionals. Probably about a 20 minute drive to Waltham.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,779,882 times
Waltham around Moody Street is the first place I'd look. It's up and coming for sure with a share of restaurants and interesting shops and more affordable than Cambridge, Somerville, or Boston. I would next recommend Watertown or Lower Allston (the part of Allston for 20 somethings as opposed to college kids), all within close distance of hip places. It's easier to find parking in these places too.

If all of those don't suite you, then look into Cambridge and Somerville but I must warn you that parking is a headache in those two densely populated cities. Meter maids have no mercy, parking rules are very strict, and depending on the block you live in, spaces may be hard to come by. I've had friends get ticketed countless times for parking out of their assigned zones or for failing to park their cars on the opposite side of the street during street cleaning days, which happen 2-4 times a month. Why all this? It's because Cambridge and Somerville are two of the hippest, liveliest places for any 20 something to live in and are very much in high demand. I'm not scaring you or anyone else away from Cambridge or Somerville, heck I'd like to live there too if I didn't have a car but I just have to warn you of the nuisances should you choose to look there.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 PM

27 posts, read 111,403 times
For a quick reverse commute, Cambridge (specifically Central Square) or Boston's Allston/Brighton comes to mind. That way it's a (very) quick ride out via Western Avenue, through the Mass Pike/I-90 right to Waltham.

Central Square (Central Square Cambridge MA News, Directory of Restaurants, Businesses & Nightlife) is awesome, young, urban, flanked on either end by Harvard Square and MIT (Kendall). Lots to do, live music, etc. It's great for young professionals. If you like live music, it's home to the Middle East (THE MIDDLE EAST RESTAURANT & NIGHTCLUB) and close to the legendary Club Passim (Club Passim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where Bob Dylan have performed). Lots of young professionals/start-upers congregate at WorkBar and nearby establishments.

Alternatively, Allston/Brighton is also very young and has lots of bars/restaurants (especially with Harvard St. with Sunset Bar and Grill: Welcome to Allston's Finest) It's flanked on either end by Boston U and Boston College. Here's some info on Brighton Living in Brighton, MA. This area has lots of students though, and weekend nights might be LOUD. Check also 5 Allston/Brighton Bars for True Locals - The Next Great Generation - Boston.com

Another great option is Somerville (Davis Square area!) is super hip and casual. Guide to Davis Square - Boston.com. Somerville also has Brooklyn Boulders Rock Gym and Artisan Asylum if you're into making stuff.

Have fun!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM

22 posts, read 42,368 times
If you're looking for young and hip with a little more of a hipster/funky vibe then go to Somerville (Davis, Porter, ect). Brighton is more pretty and expensive and there's nothing in Waltham.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 AM

127 posts, read 147,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KataM View Post
If you're looking for young and hip with a little more of a hipster/funky vibe then go to Somerville (Davis, Porter, ect). Brighton is more pretty and expensive and there's nothing in Waltham.
I wouldn't characterize Allston/Brighton as pretty by any standard.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KataM View Post

I've been out on Moody St a few times this past year, it's pretty alright. Come along way. Lots of young people out and about.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 PM

62 posts, read 135,968 times
Is parking an issue? If not, Somerville might work. Davis Square is so hip, it's practically a tourist spot like Harvard Square. Also if you're not into having 20+ bars within walking distance -- it also may not be for you. Parking is out of control. And you will be required to register your car in Somerville and the insurance will be quite pricey.

Other parts of Somerville that are cheaper, better and up-and-coming: Union Square & East Somerville, Also Inman Square in Cambridge is way awesome! East Somerville -- the Sullivan Station Orange line stop is 2 stops away form Downtown Boston! Plus you are right near 93 and 90. You should expect traffic no matter what.

The best option would be Waltham or even Watertown. It's still easy to commute by car, nice apartments, cheaper rent and still along public transportation routes.

If you're still into the college party scene, and want to find one every night, Davis Square, or Allston-Brighton are definitely for you.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM

11,074 posts, read 12,474,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaya21 View Post
If you're still into the college party scene, and want to find one every night, Davis Square, or Allston-Brighton are definitely for you.
I guess I think Davis Square isn't really particularly "collegey", not at all like Harvard Ave & Brighton Ave.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
It's a bit of a different crowd with a larger mix of just post college kids, but Davis Sq can be a heavy Tufts scene. It's just a bit less frat like than Allston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston