Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 14,545 times

Advertisements

I have a good shot at a job in Dedham moving from upstate NY. I really want to have some of the amenities of a city life but need to keep a car and a cat. I am a 40 year old single gay male professional and need to keep my rent to $1800 or less. My thinking is that I can have a reverse commute.

I hear lots of folks talking about Jamaica Plain both good and bad. Others have commented on Ashmont and Savin Hill in the Dorchester area.

I could sure use some good specific advice about areas to avoid and best recommendations on where I can afford to live as close to Boston as possible.
Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 02:50 PM

503 posts, read 1,203,894 times
It would be a lot easier to get to Dedham from Jamaica Plain than to get to Dedham from Savin Hill.
Another area to consider would be the "Roslindale" section of Boston.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:28 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Not many apt. buildings in JP or Roslindale. Not sure if you prefer complexes or apts. in a house. The latter you'll find more of in JP.

Is $1800 including utilities and parking, or before those costs?

The West or East Fenway may be an option but you'll get an old building at that price, pay extra for parking, and may need to pay a month's realtor fee. But at east it's quick access to Jamaicaway out to Dedham

Dedham has lots of fancy apt. complexes, I think. Can't be a coincidence that a huge Whole Foods opened just a few years ago.

Oh, and you may already be aware how hard it is to get an apt. At leadt it was that way earlier this year.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM

13 posts, read 14,545 times
Thank you for the comments. I am taking a day trip to Boston on Saturday to look around at neighborhoods and apartments. Anyone else with advice? I could sure use it.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:54 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
My vote was JP as well. Much easier to get to Dedham than the other areas you mentioned. Plus, JP has a really cool and funky vibe to it but still has a Whole Foods.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Jamaica Plain and upper West Roxbury (Weld Hill area) have many brownstone type apartments along Centre Street. The part of the Arborway near Brookline Village has several large apartment complexes. I haven't seen many apartment buildings in Roslindale, in my travels. Probably, some decent multi-family type rentals there.

East Milton/Milton Village/Lower Mills and possibly North Quincy would be worth checking out to have a few areas to compare against. Sweet Life is a good place in Lower Mills to get some sense of the personality of the area. A new apartment complex just opened across from the Baker Chocolate Factory condominiums. Affordability? Lower Mills has a large artist complex, with open studios and there is a farmer's market there as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:27 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,476 times
Being from JP myself and having lived in Dedham as well for years I can tell you I would never live in JP again over Dedham. But assuming you brought up the fact you were gay for a reason, that leads me to think you want a town more geared towards gay people. If that is the case go with JP but Dedham is a good town I'd think you'd like it a lot more than JP. JP is less than 10 min from Dedham pick based on good reasons

Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Being from JP myself and having lived in Dedham as well for years I can tell you I would never live in JP again over Dedham. But assuming you brought up the fact you were gay for a reason, that leads me to think you want a town more geared towards gay people. If that is the case go with JP but Dedham is a good town I'd think you'd like it a lot more than JP. JP is less than 10 min from Dedham pick based on good reasons
Know I may be side-tracking the thread, but I will ask Snatale, what did you love best about living in Dedham?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaEric View Post
Thank you for the comments. I am taking a day trip to Boston on Saturday to look around at neighborhoods and apartments. Anyone else with advice? I could sure use it.
It's my understanding that Roslindale has a good sized gay population. Most rentals would be in multi-family homes, though.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I don't think Dedham is off the OP's radar for anything that has to do with them being gay. They want to live in a more urban environment as they stated in their initial post. Dedham is very suburban. It's a lovely town with a lot to offer and the district 1 area is especially nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston