Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM

13 posts, read 14,634 times

Advertisements

Speaking with a realtor last night, he suggested Brookline and South End. Any thoughts about those areas or parts of them to avoid?
I super appreciate all of you helping me out.
The point of mentioning being gay is that I would like to be in a part of town that has a gay community.

Another question - do you have to pay broker's fees or can you find apartments without them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM

8,553 posts, read 14,184,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaratogaEric View Post
Speaking with a realtor last night, he suggested Brookline and South End. Any thoughts about those areas or parts of them to avoid?
I super appreciate all of you helping me out.
The point of mentioning being gay is that I would like to be in a part of town that has a gay community.
Brookline and the South End are really lovely places to live. Some parts of Brookline are going to be very suburban feeling so they probably will not appeal to you. The beauty of the South End is that you're actually walking distance to some of the most popular areas of the city. The negative is that both going to be significantly more expensive than JP and a further drive to Dedham.

Quote:
Another question - do you have to pay broker's fees or can you find apartments without them?
If you rent an apartment listed by a real estate agent, then you are going to pay a fee. So, you might as well have your own agent who is going to look out for you especially since you're coming from out of state and are unfamiliar with the tenant-landlord laws of MA.

If you find an apartment being listed for rent by the owner, there will be no fee to pay. The same would be true for any large apartment complex you may come across although there are not a ton of these in the Boston area.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 AM

14,541 posts, read 11,408,974 times
I would go with JP, It's a great area. A caveat is that JP is more for the girls than the boys, If you really want to live around the boys then the South End, Savin Hill, and Ashmont would be where you should look.

As far as dangerousness goes, you would be in the city so you just have to be aware of that and act accordingly but a lot of us live here and have no problems. For the sake of full disclosure, I own a home in Ashmont, my wife and I love it here, we are right off the red line and 15 minutes to downtown on I-93.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,771,291 times
Maybe Norwood which is near Dedham but first see what is around to rent at a price point you want.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM

53 posts, read 95,736 times
My vote would be JP like everyone else said, very close to Dedham.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM

134 posts, read 254,798 times
I live in Dedham myself so if you are open to living in Dedham, I would suggest that as well. It's not far from the city and it is a pretty commercialized town, with Legacy place in the area. Also, I would suggest West Roxbury which is very close by.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM

I have been hearing from quite a few folks lately that Brookline is a good choice for me. Its a little more affordable than JP, on the Green Line and a safe place to be. Can anyone tell me if this sounds true? If so, are there border streets I should consider staying within to avoid problem areas? Is West Roxbury to be avoided and if so, how far should I go away from it?

You guys have really helped a bunch. Hoping to get the final job offer this week.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM

503 posts, read 1,212,554 times
I believe Brookline would be more expensive than JP, but safer for sure. West Roxbury is nice, Roxbury not so much.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 PM

8,553 posts, read 14,184,112 times
Quote:
I have been hearing from quite a few folks lately that Brookline is a good choice for me. Its a little more affordable than JP, on the Green Line and a safe place to be. Can anyone tell me if this sounds true? If so, are there border streets I should consider staying within to avoid problem areas? Is West Roxbury to be avoided and if so, how far should I go away from it?

You guys have really helped a bunch. Hoping to get the final job offer this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I believe Brookline would be more expensive than JP, but safer for sure. West Roxbury is nice, Roxbury not so much.
David is absolutely right. Brookline is more expensive than JP. West Roxbury is also nice and should not be confused with Roxbury which is a different part of Boston.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Howa about Allston? It looks convenient to the T and I see lots of affordable places there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston