Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 PM

25 posts, read 58,906 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

We are going for 4 days vacation(july 4) on coming week end. We would like to know the best places to visit in Boston.

Also wanted to know place to stay to cover all the places.

I would be thankful for your answer.

Thanks
Gokul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
Boston is a great city to visit with loads of history-If you like baseball make sure you visit Fenway park-if not for a game at least take a tour of the stadium.

Boston travel guide - Wikitravel

Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,297 times
Granary Burial Ground, Freedom Trail, Fenway Park, Musuem of Fine Arts, ..........endless list really.
Or just walk around various parts of the city and check out local pubs/restaurants.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:54 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Boston Harborfest is probably already ongoing, culminating on July 4. They'll even have a chowderfest one day. Many hotels and the visitor center on Boston Common likely have the thick pamphlet detailing all the activities, some for children. There really is a lot which locals never hear about during this event. Too bad, but it's spread out over more than a week. Most just know about July 4th's concert and fireworks. One has to do some research. Not talking about you, but the locals. Some local people have no time or interest in research -- they just want every event to tap them on the shoulder. Then they complain it's a boring city!

Take a harbor cruise from the Aquarium area out to George's Island, or a sunset cruise...maybe an inner harbor cruise to see Old Ironsides in Charlestown. You'll find brochures for all these cruises and more across from Legal Seafoods near the Aquarium. The Boston Harbor Islands now has a lovely info booth just opened on the Rose Kennedy Greenway near the Aquarium. Check the Boston Harbor Islands web site. The Boston Common has a good info booth also.

You can take a ferry to Salem, or a longer and more $$$ boat to Provincetown on Cape Cod. Don't forget the Whale Watch tour, all out of the Aquarium area. I still wish to try the Codzilla action-packed boat ride in the Harbor, with a speeding boat ride and blaring music splashing along waves.

You can take a train up to Ipswich in 45 minutes and go to the lovely Crane Beach, a lovely North Shore ocean beach. They have a free shuttle once your train arrives. Weekends only, I think.

Take a boat ride up the Charles River on the Charles Riverboat company tour. They must have a website; I have a brochure. Did this tour years ago and loved it. They even have an architecture tour as well as a sunset tour.

Try the Boston tv and movie tour, or of course the duck boats. Advance purchase for the latter is advised. Boston by Foot has tours as well. Not free, but probably worth it.

Go to the top of the Prudential tower after your Fenway tour. You'll be able to see where you were as well as the sailboats on the Charles and MIT's campus. Walk around Harvard Yard, where you'll find dorms, classrooms and the library -- a classic campus aura. Soak in the bustle of adjacent Harvard Square. Stroll Porter Square in Cambridge from their subway stop. Not historic but pleasant with small shops and restaurants. Brattle Street in Cambridge is historic and home to the Longfellow House, a memorable walk.

Simply walk across the BU bridge, the Mass.. Ave. bridge (aka Harvard bridge?), or the Longfellow bridge for an especially lovely view. The Longfellow links to Beacon Hill for your charming walk on gas lanterned streets. Don't just take a tour on the trolley, but WALK the hills and gently glance into the windows while admiring their flower boxes. Finish with local ice cream at JP Licks on Charles St., named after the Jamaica Plain neighborhood where it started years ago. Paramount restaurant on Charles St. seems wildly popular for weekend breakfast.

Of course, you'll find your way to the North End, near Faneuil Hall and the Aquarium. Everybody winds up at Mike's Pastry there after an Italian meal.

Just walk the Charles River Esplanade and see where The Pops reform on July 4! Then see the sailboats up close. You might even capture a glorious sunset there as I and other strangers did last summer.

Yes, we have museums. Or, catch a street performer in front of Faneuil Hall. Walk Commonwealth Ave. after you glide on the swan boats in the Public Garden; Comm. Ave. is almost a mile of gorgeous brownstones. Again, walk it, don't simply whiz by on a trolley. Marlborough Street nearby has gas lanterns & brick sidewalks...perhaps my favorite street in town.

Castle Island in South Boston makes for a lovely afternoon stroll next to the Harbor. Not many tourists, but many locals. You'll get to see parts of Southie as you get to Castle Isle. It's a nice two-mile walk to the JFK Library if you like to walk.

See the newly refurbished Boston Tea Party site, near the Children's Museum. Apparently, the Tea Party is not officially on the Freedom Trail, so once you finish the Trail, you may wish to include the Tea Party.

Newbury Street is surely cliche but a must for tourists and people watching. I still love it though some call it snobby.

That's likely more than enough for now...at least I hope so!

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 06-29-2013 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 PM

25 posts, read 58,906 times
Thank you so much to all. It is more than enough for 3 days.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
If you're also looking for a place to stay, I would definitely recommend many of the hotels in the Copley Square area. Copley Square gives you such great access to the rest of the city. If you want a really nice hotel, I strongly recommend the Fairmont Copley. It's a beautiful old hotel meant to mimic the style of a classic Beacon Hill mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston