Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastatang23 View Post
Thank you all for your input. Its seems like housing costs is a major problem in boston. I may have to reconsider the offer or maybe ask for more time to find a place. My company needs me to start in three weeks which is seeming very unrealistic. My definition of nice would be no infestations from rodents or bedbugs and a decently put together apt. An old or vintage apt is acceptable as long as its maintained fairly well. I just don't want to get out there and have to live in a small studio that is the size of my college dorm 10 years ago. I would prefer a 1bedroom even if its very small
Does your company pay for reloc or some sort of temp housing in the first few weeks? If not, definitely re-negoitate. They ALL say start in 2-3 weeks but realistically you should be able to get a longer transition time (unless this is a job that many others can do and they can just say "forget it" and get the next person in line).

All apartments are supposed to be free of vermins (rodents, bedbugs, etc.). But, some places you get into and find out afterwards you've got these problems. The LL's are supposed to take care of this, or else there are laws protecting your tenant rights (allow you to withhold rent, etc. - there are quite a few posts in this forum on this). Some LL's are better than others but it's hit or miss.

The size might be an issue for sure. I know what you mean - who wants to be a working professional and still live like a college kid. But you may have to make a choice between paying higher rent or cramping into a little place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
I think you can find what you want for under $1500 in the neighborhoods I suggested.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
I currently stay in hide park in chicago (obamas neighborhood, not a cheap area) and I am paying $900 a month for a nice large (about 800 sf) 1bedroom apartment.

Hyde park in Chicago isn't one of the more expensive areas. It's pretty cheap compared to the more popular areas. You can't touch a nice 1 br in Wicker park, Lakeview etc. for $900.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 AM

483 posts, read 842,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Hyde park in Chicago isn't one of the more expensive areas. It's pretty cheap compared to the more popular areas. You can't touch a nice 1 br in Wicker park, Lakeview etc. for $900.
Agreed. But at the same time, Wicker Park, Lakeview, etc. are still a lot cheaper than the cool parts of Boston (and many of the less cool parts).

Old 11-24-2011, 02:51 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
^ This. Anywhere near downtown is going to cost you upwards of $1500 and you'll probably have to share to keep things realistic. You could probably find what you want in Allston-Brighton, Jamaica Plain, Somerville, or parts of Cambridge. (My boyfriend and I can't even really afford our own apartment, so I know how hard it is to believe this place is so expensive, especially because I don't really like it here.)

Groceries are probably going to cost you more than they cost in Chicago.

Honestly, this sounds like it isn't going to work out for you. People are generally not friendly and you may not make very many new friends as the scene is very college oriented. I would try attending school here for another degree (to make more money) and you might have a shot at Boston.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 11-24-2011 at 03:03 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 12:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
I found about 15 choices less than 1300 on apts.com and craigslist in a two minute search. The Parkside is listed on apts.com and is an excellent choice right in the heart of everything. I lived in another property belong to this group (Forest Properties) and it was wonderful. Look for Boston, Back Bay, South Boston, Fenway, Kenmore, Brookline Allston. It's there dude, just likely you'll have to settle for a studio.

The fact is Boston is about 25% more expensive than Chicago. I always though CHI was a bargain basement for real estate.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:37 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
I found about 15 choices less than 1300 on apts.com and craigslist in a two minute search. The Parkside is listed on apts.com and is an excellent choice right in the heart of everything. I lived in another property belong to this group (Forest Properties) and it was wonderful. Look for Boston, Back Bay, South Boston, Fenway, Kenmore, Brookline Allston. It's there dude, just likely you'll have to settle for a studio.

The fact is Boston is about 25% more expensive than Chicago. I always though CHI was a bargain basement for real estate.
I made the move from Boston to Chicago and thought I hit the motherlode of cheap rents. Boston is HIGH!

I had a 1-bdrm at Douglass Park in the South End when it was brand new back in the early 90s. I was paying $900 (with a parking space) back then - almost 20 years ago. I think it's around $2500 now...

To the OP, you need to adjust your budget if you want a 1B, without a roommate, in one of the cool Boston neighborhoods. Or you better get married to a working woman!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:17 PM

188 posts, read 497,166 times
Quote:
I recently received a job offer in Boston and I have to move there within the next month. I have a few questions about my move.

1. What would be the best neighborhood for me to live in? I am a 29 year old male, single with no kids, social drinker, and very active in sports. I like to get out a lot so I would like to live fairly close to some nightlife and restaurants. A gym in the neighborhood would be nice but not necessary because I will be working downtown and I can probably use a gym in that area. Also I would like to live close to the T because I will not have a car out there, at least at first. I am not generally interested in suburban or bedroom communities. I am looking for a one bedroom apartment that doesn’t necessarily have to be huge but I would like it to fairly nice (I don’t want a run down apartment). My budget for rent is $1000-$1300.

2. How is the cost of living on items such as groceries in Boston?

3. Even though I’ve been to Boston twice I do not know hardly anyone in Boston. Are people generally friendly? Is easy to meet people in Boston?

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
#1 start off here with roommates. I know you are probably used ot having your own space..but most people here have roomies myself included. I still have privacy, and it actually works out really well. I have made friends with thier friends and Im telling you its a lot easier for you here socially if you have roomies too. #2 you can get a studio here..i have a coworker who has a studio in kenmore for 1,000 a month..BUT she also said she wished she had roomies because its harder to meet people here and then she comes home to no one. #3 If you like to go out like I do..GET ROOMIES! Your money will go a lot further as a new person here u will want to do every event that comes up and there are a lot of them! There are also a lot of bars..some cheap..some not. Bottom line..you want to have as much extra money as possible. With roomies you could be paying 500-700 a month versus 1000-1700 per month. And you can find places with heat and hot water included and this will come in handy. #4 If you are not in school you can still meet people, I actually haven't hung out with any of my classmates..(in grad school)...but the way you meet people here is GOING OUT. Ive met so many people here that way..at bars..at sporting events. Whatever you do don't hide in your apt. or u will get homesick and wanna leave fast. Other than that welcome to beantown

Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,262 times
I just moved from Chicago to Boston for work few months ago...and I regret every single day I moved here...the lifestyle, people and things you can have in Chicago are hard to find in this small old city. Be prepared to spend a lot of money for a small and old apartments. Good thing you wont be driving here... this is the city of potholes everywhere... I personally miss Chicago every single day. If you are moving, just be ready to downgrade your lifestyle...

Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
I grew up in Boston but moved to Chicago in 1997 with my husband where we lived for 5 years. We never had so much money as when we were living in Chicago. Everything is more expensive in Boston, the utilities, the food, the housing, etc. This said, there's no place I love more than Boston!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston