Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,955 times

Advertisements

We (mom, dad, 11-year old) are considering moving to Boston, to work in educational field. Is it possible to move to the area, be within 40-minute commute of Northeastern and live in (rent, preferably) in a home? How is Waltham? Schools? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,528 times
Sure it is, but it depends on price.

Waltham has good parts and not so good parts. I dont know much about the schools though.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 AM

199 posts, read 948,220 times
Waltham schools are meh to less than meh. Not as highly rated as some swanky neighboring towns and cities (Belmont, Lincoln, Newton).

Moody Street is a trendy area for young people (i.e. twenty-somethings without children) but there's not much in Waltham for families compared to Arlington, Belmont, Newton, etc. It's not a 'family-friendly' town except for the townies.

Unless you're children are going to Gann Academy, personally I'd suggest looking in a neighboring town to rent if you've got kids.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 AM

324 posts, read 1,089,454 times
Agree with others that Waltham schools aren't great. Watertown schools would be a bit better, IMO. Belmont and Newton would be other options with great schools, but will be more expensive. But those towns all have rental options. Some towns that are more suburban might have great schools, but it will be harder to find a rental.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:15 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,812 times
I know I sound like a broken record, but I'd recommend Melrose. It has Orange Line access in the southern tip, very easy bus access to the Orange Line in the rest of the town, and three commuter rail stations. Easy as pie to commute from Melrose. Great schools, too, above state average, which means when you compare them to the country as a whole, they're probably among the best of the best. Also, you can't beat it price-wise for what you get. One of the nicest, friendliest, safest, and commuter-friendly towns in the entire metro area, with great schools, and a really nice old-school New England atmosphere, all with probably the most reasonable prices when you consider what you get. Restaurants, shops, banks, etc. are pretty much all within walking distance and there's some great parks there too. I can't recommend Melrose highly enough to somebody in your situation.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:21 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
What is your rental budget? That affects the options you have for a house in a nice area with good schools fairly close to Northeastern. Newton and Brookline are expensive, but if you can afford the housing costs there, they would be the first two towns I'd recommend for towns with single-family houses and good schools, not too far from Northeastern. I might recommend Newton over Brookline because of the potential inconvenience of Brookline's overnight parking ban, but that depends on individual circumstances, such as the property you rent and whether it has on-site parking.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Countless good things could be said about living in Boston - it's one of the best cities in the world. The two majors negatives are cost and cold winter.

Here, I'll say one good thing right now: "Hampton Beach - today"

Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM

67 posts, read 186,145 times
Waltham - North Waltham is nice. I liked the area near Brandeis because I could easy get on the pike (route 90) and get to Moody Street. I live in Arlington and love it but also enjoyed my time in Waltham and go back there frequently.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Where is Hampton Beach? Isn't that in New Hampshire? Is that a long drive from Boston?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-14-2011, 11:24 PM

86 posts, read 210,737 times
Hampton Beach is within 50 miles of downtown, exact distance/driving time would depend on where somebody's driving from. But it's definitely possible to get there within an hour from the Boston area if it's timed well with traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston