Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:01 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,466,143 times

Advertisements

The list of Banned Books seems endless, and of course, there are all sorts of lists of banned books -- recently published to classics, or even more specific like the ALA's list of the 100 Most Banned Books. The list(s) may even surprise you -- try googling banned books.

Of all of the books ever banned, did you read one that turned out to be a favorite? Have you ever read one, and wondered just what was the hoop-lah all about? And of course, au contraire, ever read one that made your hair stand on end, and you thought to yourself, well, I know now why this was banned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,942,453 times
"Forever Amber" was banned in Boston when it was first published and it wound up being a favorite of mine. It was first published in the 40s I think so I can kind of understand how it was considered scandalous but by today's standards, it's laughable to think it was banned.

I'm sure I've read some classics in school which were once banned somewhere like Catcher in the Rye or Farhrenheit 451, but I was never hugely enthusiastic about them (actually, I HATE Catcher in the Rye).

Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM

3,053 posts, read 5,015,316 times
Are there books that are state/federally banned in the USA?

Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,214,313 times
Once, Henry Miller's 'Tropic of Cancer' was banned. It's one of my favorite books.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,942,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Are there books that are state/federally banned in the USA?
Currently? I don't think so, not federally anyway, doubt it's legal.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:32 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,724,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm sure I've read some classics in school which were once banned somewhere like Catcher in the Rye or Farhrenheit 451, but I was never hugely enthusiastic about them (actually, I HATE Catcher in the Rye).
I greatly enjoyed both books, but also disliked them for certain reasons. Catcher in the Rye is now a favorite of mine.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,651,111 times
Wow! What a list. I have read more than half the books on there. "To Kill a Mockingbird"?????? Shocks the hoot out of me. That was the one book I made sure both my kids read. Me bad.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,110,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The list of Banned Books seems endless, and of course, there are all sorts of lists of banned books -- recently published to classics, or even more specific like the ALA's list of the 100 Most Banned Books. The list(s) may even surprise you -- try googling banned books.

Of all of the books ever banned, did you read one that turned out to be a favorite? Have you ever read one, and wondered just what was the hoop-lah all about? And of course, au contraire, ever read one that made your hair stand on end, and you thought to yourself, well, I know now why this was banned?
My favorite banned book also happens to be my favorite book of all-time, period. And that would be JD Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye" which was banned in public school libraries for several years following its release in the early 1950's. It may seem tame by today's standards, but back then many people weren't ready for a story about a 16 year-old kid going on a three-day drinking and (attempted) whoring in NYC. I love this book, and have probably read it once or twice a year for the past 20 years or so.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 PM

37,813 posts, read 41,113,416 times
As long as you can buy the book, they aren't really banned. I see a library not carrying a book on par with Macy's not carry a brand of clothes. If they don't have it, you go elsewhere for it, just like you do for every other book you want to read but your library doesn't carry.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 PM

56 posts, read 220,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Once, Henry Miller's 'Tropic of Cancer' was banned. It's one of my favorite books.
I have to second that, I love Henry Miller's works and Tropic of Cancer tops them all.

I've read most of the banned books most of which are already considered part of the classics like Madame Bovary, Lady Chatterley's Lover, Naked Lunch, Brave New World, The God of Small Things .. and more. It's because of that quality that will make them immortal.

It’s absolutely amazing how man has progressed in what he thinks is contraband, radical and scandalous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books