Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:16 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,864,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As long as you can buy the book, they aren't really banned. I see a library not carrying a book on par with Macy's not carry a brand of clothes. If they don't have it, you go elsewhere for it, just like you do for every other book you want to read but your library doesn't carry.
The definition of "banned" doesn't have to mean it's banned from everywhere. It can be a misleading term because when people say "It is/was banned!" they often don't specify where or by who it was banned... but even if it's banned by only one organization, that is still a banning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 02:38 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times
The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerBalls.

Also, haven't read any from the banned list, but I hear great things about a lot of them- never got a chance to read it, but I've picked up and read the back cover of Fahrenheit 451 before, it always looked interesting.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
People do still try to ban books from their local or school library. The Harry Potter books have been particularly targeted, as well as most recently the Twilight books (Stephenie Meyer joins ranks of 'most challenged' authors | Books | guardian.co.uk).

Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
I was always surprised by parents who refused to let their children read the Harry Potter series. Seemed to me they missed a wonderful opportunity to open discussions with their children on what was, and wasn't, good moral judgment. Some parents I encountered were opposed to the books because they somehow interpreted them as 'satanic.' Couldn't be further from the truth.

The series could also easily have sparked an interest in other genres, and classics, even, as Rowling pulled from so many sources -- fairy tales, folktales, fantasy, historical fiction, etc.

I am still trying to choose a title for a Book Club get-together in September when we'll read a banned book. I am thinking perhaps Kate Chopin's The Awakening. Any thoughts on Chopin's work? Or other suggestions?

Old 04-18-2010, 08:00 PM

410 posts, read 1,107,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Are there books that are state/federally banned in the USA?
Most definitely not legal. We are guaranteed freedom of speech and freedom of press by the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

From ALA: "The freedom to read is essential to our democracy. It is continuously under attack. Private groups and public authorities in various parts of the country are working to remove or limit access to reading materials, to censor content in schools, to label "controversial" views, to distribute lists of "objectionable" books or authors, and to purge libraries. These actions apparently rise from a view that our national tradition of free expression is no longer valid; that censorship and suppression are needed to counter threats to safety or national security, as well as to avoid the subversion of politics and the corruption of morals."

I'm a librarian and we like to celebrate banned books. Some of my favorites are The Outsiders, In Cold Blood (they both established new genres of writing), The Color Purple, To Kill A Mockingbird, and many others.

I once had a parent come into my library and ask that I remove Strega Nona by Tomie DePaola. "It has a witch in it!" she said. Another initiated steps to challenge A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein but she soon realized she didn't have a leg to stand on and gave it up.

It amazes me that in this country in this day and age some people still think they have a right to control what others read. Guiding your own childrens' reading is one thing, but attempting to remove books from library shelves so that others cannot judge for themselves the merits of the book is outrageous.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Default Banned, or not, bring 'em on. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
I'm a librarian and we like to celebrate banned books. Some of my favorites are The Outsiders, In Cold Blood (they both established new genres of writing), The Color Purple, To Kill A Mockingbird, and many others.

It amazes me that in this country in this day and age some people still think they have a right to control what others read. Guiding your own childrens' reading is one thing, but attempting to remove books from library shelves so that others cannot judge for themselves the merits of the book is outrageous.
Former HS English teacher here, and I couldn't agree more. Throughout my career, and at all levels of teaching -- kindergarten through grade 6, middle school, and senior high -- I always graciously agreed to serve on the Media Committee(s). Without fail, we would have a parent raise an issue, or two or three, with a book, an author, or the like, and would have to defend the book being on the shelf in the library.

I often had to work with colleagues who had problems with some titles on the department's, or the library's, recommended reading lists. There was never a title I felt needed censoring -- it may not have been suitable reading for a specific age, maturity, or reading level, but like you, I feel books have a place on a library's public shelves. Doesn't mean I am forcing you to read it, or am even exposing you to it.

My favorite dilemma was the parent who wanted her child doing an alternate course of study when the 9th graders read Homer's Odyssey; the parent specifically objected to the side-study of Greek mythology. I was, or the school was, as she put it, 'covering religion.' It was okay. Her daughter did an independent study, and went to the library each day during our class period to read something else. I did raise my brows, however, when after a test in class, the girl pulled V.C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic out of her book bag to read as she waited for others to finish testing. Mother's misconstrued notion of religion not acceptable; child abuse and incest deemed OK.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The list of Banned Books seems endless, and of course, there are all sorts of lists of banned books -- recently published to classics, or even more specific like the ALA's list of the 100 Most Banned Books. The list(s) may even surprise you -- try googling banned books.

Of all of the books ever banned, did you read one that turned out to be a favorite? Have you ever read one, and wondered just what was the hoop-lah all about? And of course, au contraire, ever read one that made your hair stand on end, and you thought to yourself, well, I know now why this was banned?
I mean really Banned books? Here in the USA in this day and age? Really? What kind of idiots would try banning a book?

Sure there are some classis that ultra conservative groups may deem inappropriate for children (I disagree on almost all counts) but for the most part they are not "banned".

Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I mean really Banned books? Here in the USA in this day and age? Really? What kind of idiots would try banning a book?

Sure there are some classis that ultra conservative groups may deem inappropriate for children (I disagree on almost all counts) but for the most part they are not "banned".
Many Americans like the idea of censorship, but they don't like to use the word 'censorship'.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:44 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Most definitely not legal. We are guaranteed freedom of speech and freedom of press by the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

From ALA: "The freedom to read is essential to our democracy. It is continuously under attack. Private groups and public authorities in various parts of the country are working to remove or limit access to reading materials, to censor content in schools, to label "controversial" views, to distribute lists of "objectionable" books or authors, and to purge libraries. These actions apparently rise from a view that our national tradition of free expression is no longer valid; that censorship and suppression are needed to counter threats to safety or national security, as well as to avoid the subversion of politics and the corruption of morals."

I once had a parent come into my library and ask that I remove Strega Nona by Tomie DePaola. "It has a witch in it!" she said. Another initiated steps to challenge A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein but she soon realized she didn't have a leg to stand on and gave it up.

When I was studying for my MLIS one of our assignments was to read a book that had been "banned" in the past and then formulate a defense for it to present to the class (just like in real life ). My group's book was A Separate Peace. Very interesting exercise.

I don't get people who think Harry Potter is about satanism. Quite obviously they've never read any of the books. If anything it's about the struggle and ultimate triumph of good vs evil, as well as growing up, the perils of adolescence, trust, love, personal strength, loyalty and standing up for what's right.

Whenever people complain about something on TV the reaction is usually, "Well then don't watch it ." If someone complains about a book, I tell them, "Well then don't read it!" Nobody seems to understand that the minute you ban something its popularity (and sales) go thro the roof.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
The list of Banned Books seems endless, and of course, there are all sorts of lists of banned books -- recently published to classics, or even more specific like the ALA's list of the 100 Most Banned Books. The list(s) may even surprise you -- try googling banned books.

Of all of the books ever banned, did you read one that turned out to be a favorite? Have you ever read one, and wondered just what was the hoop-lah all about? And of course, au contraire, ever read one that made your hair stand on end, and you thought to yourself, well, I know now why this was banned?
Surely 1984 must have been banned at some point, simply because Ignorance is Strength has long been too close to our reality for the leadership's comfort. Definitely my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books