Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,544 times

Advertisements

Mostly these days I read modern writers. In college I read some of the classic writers and did connect with some voices. For me that's most important. If I can 'hear the voice' loud and clear, connect with the sensibilities I'm hooked. Once I like a writer I care very little about the story, where he/she wants to take me, I'm a willing passenger and companion regardless. 'Course, if they deliver me somewhere it is all the better.

I'll read anything by Michael Chabon, Charles Bukowski, (these two couldn't be more different in style), Norman Mailer, Jerzy Kozinski, Larry McMurtry, Albert Camus, Joyce Carol Oates, Dom Dillilo, Elie Wiesel and others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:27 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
Generally, I prefer classics but I don't like a lot of American Classics --Twain, Steinbeck, Faulkner. Hemingway, Fitzgerald are great. I detest Flannery O'Connor.

I am choosier when it comes to contemporary fiction but there are some amazing books and writers working today. Franzen pwns all.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:51 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I agree that there are some excellent choices among contemporary non-fiction. Any biography by James McPherson tends to be well-researched and downright fascinating.
I have read and liked some contemporary fiction--Richard Russo is very funny (although he tends to use the same scenery, characters and plot), and I also enjoy Larry McMurtry's work--but the classics are still my go-to when I am deciding what to read next (as well as what I enjoy most.)
I also agree about the gratuitous use of crude language, violence, etc. in contemporary lit--it is difficult for me to respect a book that relies on such elements to appeal to its audience (c.f. "Atonement.")

Old 05-09-2009, 08:22 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
I'm more of a classics guy, but can't really rule out modern writers. A classic to me is a book that has proven itself to stand up over time. There are so many books that have done this that I don't really see a need to read too many modern authors-- let someone else prove 'em out.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I read everything and enjoy a good, well-told, universal story. Isn't that what makes a classic? It's a book that speaks to people regardless of the era they're living in. If a book written today sticks around for 100, 200, 500 years--it'll be a classic too.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
I'm way behind everyone else, with much catching up to do.
Recently, I just finished reading The Plague by Camus. I had put it down several months ago, but picked it up again (mid-way thru) and read to the end. Now I've started Crime & Punishment. I have more classics to read before getting it on with contemporary literature.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I agree that there are some excellent choices among contemporary non-fiction. Any biography by James McPherson tends to be well-researched and downright fascinating.
I have read and liked some contemporary fiction--Richard Russo is very funny (although he tends to use the same scenery, characters and plot), and I also enjoy Larry McMurtry's work--but the classics are still my go-to when I am deciding what to read next (as well as what I enjoy most.)
I also agree about the gratuitous use of crude language, violence, etc. in contemporary lit--it is difficult for me to respect a book that relies on such elements to appeal to its audience (c.f. "Atonement.")
Atonement has gratuitous sex, violence, etc? I'm not sure I agree with that. That was a great book with a gutsy ending (made into a lame film).

There is a fine line between literary merit and "schmaltzy melodrama" that contemporary lit and genre lit equally walk. I'm not going to claim all contemp lit is isolated from criticism more geared toward genre lit.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
Atonement has gratuitous sex, violence, etc? I'm not sure I agree with that. That was a great book with a gutsy ending (made into a lame film).

There is a fine line between literary merit and "schmaltzy melodrama" that contemporary lit and genre lit equally walk. I'm not going to claim all contemp lit is isolated from criticism more geared toward genre lit.
I was mostly referring to the crude language. I don't know of any "great book" that has the word "c&$^" in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books