Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times

Advertisements

Where do you do most of your readingl.

I read in the same chair as I watch TV, with the TV off--I can't read with distractions, not even music. I got too much eyestrain trying to read with a CFL bulb in my reading lamp, so I went back to incandescent.

I once knew a girl who read an entire paperback while DRIVING her car from Kansas City to Minneapolis on I-35.

Where do you read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,658,847 times
in the early morning, I read at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee! this is because I have cancelled all of my newspapers and had the urge to still read something! Read all newspapers online now. Later in the day when I read, I sit on the couch. I never read in bed.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM

285 posts, read 616,879 times
While I haven't yet conquered reading while driving, I have been known to read while waiting for trains to go by. Me, I take a book with me everywhere I go...never know when I'll have to spend time waiting (which I do very badly when I don't have a book with me...it does happen).I read in bed before going to sleep. I read in my favorite chair...TV blaring, dogs barking, husband talking...I'll look up and ask "Were you talking to me?" He'll just shake his head. I'll take a long soaking bath and read there. I can and do read pretty much anywhere and completely tune out everything around me. I love a good book!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:10 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,558,567 times
I read in bed before going to sleep but I will read during the day if the book is especially interesting.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,450,581 times
Mostly, I read in bed - I know a bad habit! But such a great way to end the day.

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-04-2008, 07:52 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,928,497 times
I read anywhere I can (including the bathroom and at long stoplights while on the road), and while I work I often listen to audio books.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:15 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,688,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I read anywhere I can (including the bathroom and at long stoplights while on the road), and while I work I often listen to audio books.
Same here. I have to read everyday. I have been like that since childhood when I would always wake up a half hour earlier than needed so I could read before school. I do the same now. After I read my paper every morning I have to read a few chapters of my book. Then when I take a bath each night I get an hour of reading in there with opera playing in my living room for ambiance. Great thing about being childless lol. I do miss the days when I could read five books a week. Unfortunately I don't have that in me anymore and I am sure my library appreciates me not checking out twenty books each visit.

I will never understand people who do not like to read.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,210 times
Quote:
I once knew a girl who read an entire paperback while DRIVING her car from Kansas City to Minneapolis on I-35.
ACK!! Lucky for me I don't live (or drive) anywhere between KC or Minni!

Quote:
ITA, they are missing out on so much.
On the other hand, my H doesn't read, and is always impressed with how much I know about history or other cultural settings, ect, which I've aquired from reading...and he just thinks I'm so smart!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:18 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,934,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
We have some friends who we met online. When we went to their place the first time, there was something about their apartment that just felt 'odd' to me, but I couldn't place it. Then one of them mentioned at one point that they 'didnt have time' to read. I realized there was not one. single. book. in their place.
They had a few 'puter and car magazines, and 'Who Weekly' or somesuch, but no books. Funny, they did have time to be on the internet for hours after work, and also for TV. Hmmm...I'm not trying to be judgemental, I just don't understand it. The same way they probably don't understand why anyone would read a book I guess.

I like to read on the train, during the day if I'm not at work or uni I'll either go to the nearby park or sit in one of the rocking chairs, or on the windowsill. I also like to have a good book on our property...(thats really nice!) and sometimes in bed. I'd really like to be able read books at work. I sometimes read trashy magazines there, but it's not quite the same.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,127,493 times
I read pretty much everywhere, except in the car; I get carsick ( and people who read while driving? ....but that is another topic).

I read at the kitchen table; mostly cookbooks and self-help for some reason.

I read the newspaper at the dining room table every morning.

For non-fiction I like to curl up in a chair in the living room.

I read novels or short stories in bed each night.

I keep shelter-mags and Ikea catalogs in the bathroom. If I drop one in the tub = no big loss.

I also carry a book or two with me whenever I travel or have an appt.

"Some people read for instruction, which is praiseworthy, and some for pleasure, which is innocent, but not a few read from habit, and I suppose that this is neither innocent nor praiseworthy. Of that lamentable company am I. "

-Somerset Maugham, "The Book Bag"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books