Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times

Advertisements

I do most of my reading either at Starbucks or in the backyard in a swing by the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:19 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,846,058 times
I almost always read in bed. I'm another one who can't read when there's any noise in the background, and where I live there is almost always some noise going on. If no one is around, by some miracle, I'll read a magazine or something light at my desk or at the kitchen table. For serious books, though, I need to be on or in my bed, preferably late at night.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
I read on the couch or in a chair on some in bed. I know what you mean by those curley bulbs, I had to replace the ones I read by with the normal lights. When I go to bed I like to read lighter books.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,657 times
I LOVE to curl up on my couch, wrapped up in a blanket with a good book in my hands. However, I almost always have to have the TV on...something about having [light] noise in the background makes me focus more.

I WISH I had a Starbucks where I live, so I could just sit with a nice warm drink (especially days like today when it is -15 outside w/o windchill factored in!) and read. However, since I don't, the other few places I read are during these "forums" we have at my university or waiting in the doctor's office.

If it is a book I can just become absorbed in though...I can manage to read it in the car...though usually that doesn't work too well. I tend to get carsick, but I'm getting over that!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
I tell you what. If I won the lotto, I would pay an architect the big bucks to build an entire house around a book lined library. It would be on the top floor with 360-degree vistas of the valley below and cantilevered windows that I could open or close. There would be two huge overstuffed chairs with an ottoman for each, a writing desk to accommodate my laptop, a small wood-burning stove, and a ceiling fan overhead. The walls below the windowsills would be book lined. There would be a telescope and a small patio outside. I would spend ten hours a day up there, coming down only for bathroom breaks and meals.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 AM

68 posts, read 362,067 times
Default Splish-Splash

Like all of you I read nearly everywhere I go. I can't bear the thought that I might be stuck somewhere boring without something to read. The thought alone sends a chill down my spine. As a child I use to love to climb a large tree and lay on a fat branch and read for hours- the best was green apple trees. A snack was always handy. Now my favorite place is my swimming pool- I prop my arms on a floaty mat and dangle my legs. When it is too Sunny out I rotate myself around to all the shady spots. We were in a car accident a few years ago and floating with my legs dangling loosely would release the pain and pressure and now that I am physically better I still feel as though this is something I do to make myself feel better. I also always read in the bathtub. I was surprised that more of you aren't saying that as well. I've read whole books in one soak- it was a very, very long soak.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,719,940 times
I try to read in bed but it's too cozy and I always feel more like sleeping. If I'm at home I like to read in my computer chair in my room or on the couch in the living room. I do most of my reading at college though, in between classes in corridors or in the student lounge (in a big poorly stuffed chair by the large windows). When I'm not home I do a lot of reading on the SO's couch and his mother's couch (his mother's dog likes to snuggle up with me when I read ).

I also do a lot of not-so-fun reading at work, usually near the register or while walking around the store.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,383 times
Now...I read in the kitchen. It is perfect for me, quiet and noone around especially at night.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,381 times
Hi,

Unfortunately I read only when I have time only. That's in my room while lying on the bed trying to get myself to sleep. But I love to read online news though speciall yin the morning.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:46 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Anywhere/everywhere, except when driving or operating heavy machinery.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books