Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:52 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,457,888 times

Advertisements

Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye is one of my favorite books (tear jerker)
Also,
To Kill a Mockingbird
The English Patient (for the language alone... better than the movie)
In Cold Blood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 PM

476 posts, read 1,136,388 times
Dean Koontz is a great author of psychological thrillers. Some might classify him as horror genre. He writes page turners that will keep you up until 2am reading!

Great thread - I’m loving the ideas for new authors to read.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:22 PM

68,353 posts, read 54,544,722 times
Fiction wise I'm a mystery fan and in no particular order would pick:

James Patterson
J A Jance
Patricia Cornwell
Tony Hillerman
Amy & David Thurlo
Margaret Coel
Linda Fairstein
Lisa Scottoline
Sue Grafton

And for historical fiction I'm a James Michener fan.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,269,782 times
he mention of Hillerman reminded me of another good series on Native Americans authored by Louise Erdrich

Some lighthearted mysteries I've enjoyed:

Alexander McCall Smith - The No. Ladies Detective Agency Series. Simple, charming stories set in Botswana.
Carl Hiassen - a great satirist. He makes the darkest situations hysterically funny.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 AM

531 posts, read 2,013,629 times
I wanted to update you all on some of the authors I have read from this list. I have managed to read a few so far...I read 2 by each author. I hope this helps some of you out for your next trip to the library or bookstore!

Michael Connelly- I have liked this author and have found myself looking forward to more of Harry Bosch. Very good read, did not want to put down!

Catherine Coulter, Sandra Brown and Tami Hoag- all are excellent reads, but sometimes get a little mushy. Great for women. I must admit even with the smut I enjoyed them!

Christopher Rice (Anne Rice's Son)- great books. Easy reading...did not want to put down. I am eager to read more of his.

Anne Rivers Siddon- Good storyline but sometime it seemed like she was rambling. I found myself skipping paragraphs to get to the good spots! Was not overly impressed.

Happy reading everyone!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:55 AM

49 posts, read 137,999 times
Lightbulb Louis LaMour

OK so I've had a guy at work telling me i should read some of Louis LaMour's stuff! Any comments good or bad. I'm not all that familiar with his work but i know who he is. So with that said if by chance any of you guys have read something by him then let me know whats good and bad!
Thank you Meisha04

Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,673,899 times
I love Sue Grafton.

I read Patricia Cornwell till she started to annoy me. She seems to alternate between having Dr. Kay Scarpetta dwell ad nauseum on how disgusting Marino is, and having her call him at 4 AM to rescue her from deadly peril, yet again.

I'd tell that babe to take a hike and learn to fight her own battles, she wants to take that attitude. Or, have her call up some "metrosexual" to take a bullet for her.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,076,182 times
Not long ago I immersed myself in George R. R. Martin and read just about everything he's written in fantasy.
He is not your typical fantasy contemporary author. He is more old school.
His work is careful, descriptive, and densely written, with lots of detail and character construction.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:11 PM

661 posts, read 2,900,896 times
Have you read "Fevre Dream" by Martin? I think it was published in the 80's. One of my favorites.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,296 times
i would definitely suggest diana gabaldons outlander series as well. Its awesome. Very historical, time travel, romance. Takes place in Scotland mostly. I also like the bride by julia garwood. The time travelers wife by Audrey Niffenegger was good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books